I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I need help picking colors
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: August 30, 2007 02:13PM

Found a pretty cool color wheel program which helps you select various color schemes. There's a free 30 day trial download, so when you download it studt what colors look best and make notes. You can also Google color wheel and find a few sites which have similar progams for free.

[www.tightwraps.com]

To select guide wrap colors, here's a great tool:
[www.color-wheel-pro.com]

Hopefully this will prevent any color questiosn threads for the next 3 or 4 days, lol.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I need help picking colors
Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2007 03:04PM

Billy Vivona Wrote:

>
>
> Hopefully this will prevent any color questiosn
> threads for the next 3 or 4 days, lol.
>
>
> NERBS - North East Rod Builders

Probably not.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2007 03:11PM

Yeah,,, think I saw some such thing at a sewing site before. Only problem is that the ones I saw assume you are looking for complementary colors. But sometimes going way out on a limb to mix incompatable colors yields a nice look too. That color wheel site says it is looking for harmony in color choices, What if you don't want to be in harmony?

Date: August 30, 2007 03:25PM

If you dont' want complimentary colors, you could look at triadic or tetradic color combos.

Nothing beats Complimnetary colors though

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2007 04:05PM

Maybe so Billy,,, but I shudder to think what some of my favorite wrap photos would look like if picked that way (http://www.rodbuilding.org/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1125/cat/500/page/1)

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2007 04:26PM

hang the wheel on wall throw darts at it, use colors were they land.
should work for you

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 30, 2007 08:57PM

Billy; How Many days till the NEXT color Question?

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: August 30, 2007 09:22PM

Pink. LOL!!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 30, 2007 11:13PM

billy, my wife is a graphic artist and has several books that are nothing but colors and combinations. go to just about any art store and you should be able to find something similar. i look at them from time to time, but usually just defer to her if i am in doubt. it seems that women as a rule have a better eye for color than men in most cases.

Posted by: Owen Dare (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: August 31, 2007 04:36AM

john timberlake Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> it seems that
> women as a rule have a better eye for color than
> men in most cases.

Rubbish!

If it wasn't for my wife's "eye for colour" our bedroom would look exactly like Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album cover.
Instead I have to deal with colours that belong at the bottom of the toilet bowl with me thinking "I don't remember eating that!" ;-)

Truthfully, I'm shocking at picking colours. I sit the spools of thread next to each other an leave them where I can see them for a couple of days to see if I still like them LOL

cheers,
Owen

Posted by: billy brodrick (208.66.198.---)
Date: August 31, 2007 08:15AM

Sorry Billy I give it 1 day tops. Never could understand color questions. Dude look at it and if you like it use it if not keep looking. If your like me you have everycoler under the rainbow and then some your not sure qualify as a color or a cow paty. PICK ONE MAN PICK ONE not brtain surgery.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 31, 2007 01:28PM

Billy, When in doubt use black and gold. You could take all the colors and double them and they will come up to about half the requests I get for black and gold. Jesse

Date: August 31, 2007 01:37PM

FWIW, I usually get people wanting Blue, Red, and Purple. They can't pick Black since I don't include that in my color chart, lol.

I think I'm gooing to try a Teal, Red, and Purple combo with a splash of white. We'll see what a mess this turns out to be.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 31, 2007 09:47PM

Billy,I did teal garnet and gold on a honey colored blank and my daughter calls it my Pocahontas rod.Real nice combo.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 31, 2007 11:40PM

We get calls for everything BUT black and gold. One of our most popular is a wrap of purple and gold in the shades used by the ECU Pirates team. Then there's UNC, NC State, Duke, and the like.

I don't understand it. Here we are on the NC coast, and they want NC colors. The shame of it is I'm really, really good with black & gold.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: September 01, 2007 12:08AM

Russ Pollack
Where are you located in NC?
I'm about 1 hour south of Raleigh

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 03, 2007 12:23PM

I need help with finding a match for Metallic Purple after it has been in the sun for a week with two layers of Flexcoat over the top. Any suggestion welcomed and accepted if not from Virginai Beach area! He is the one that sold me the large spool of the metallic dookey in the first place!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster