I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

2008 ICRBE Seminars
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 27, 2007 05:49PM

Still early, but I have added nearly all the remaining seminars. Just a couple left to nail down. I should have each scheduled for day and time by the middle of September.

BASIC CUSTOM ROD BUILDING BY JIM UPTON - Learn every step required to build your own custom fishing rod. Jim walks you through each and every task needed to get great results on your first attempt. Learn from one of the best in this enjoyable and informative seminar expressly designed to get you started on this rewarding hobby!

SALTWATER BOAT, PIER AND TROLLING RODS BY KEN PRESTON - Ken is highly regarded up and down the east coast by charter fishing captains who rely on quality gear to get the job done for their clients. Learn the extras needed to build the best possible rods for demanding saltwater applications from a master rod builder.

THE COMMON CENTS SYSTEM BY DR. WILLIAM HANNEMAN - The only perfectly objective and relative system for quantifying rod action, power and feel. Presented by the inventor himself, this system has won rave reviews by knowledgeable custom rod builders the world over. The new expanded URRS now covers spinning and casting rods!

THE UNIVERSAL ROD RATING SYSTEM BY DR. WILLIAM HANNEMAN - The only perfectly objective and relative system for quantifying rod action, power and feel. Presented by the inventor himself, this system has won rave reviews by knowledgeable custom rod builders the world over. The new expanded URRS now covers spinning and casting rods!

BONDING, COATING, FINISHING BY RALPH OQUINN - Perhaps the most knowledgeable person in the rod building field when it comes to adhesives and finishes, Ralph will teach you how to obtain the strongest possible bonds and the smooth possible finishes. No custom rod builder working with epoxy can afford to miss this one!

MARKETING CUSTOM RODS By Bill Stevens - As a custom rod builder you possess unique skills and abilities, but how do you make your customer aware of this? Bill has spent a lifetime teaching skilled individuals how to market themselves for the greatest benefit to themselves and their customers. If you sell rods, you will not want to miss this one. You will learn a great deal about marketing, advertising and... yourself!

FINISHES FOR CUSTOM ROD HANDLES AND GRIPS BY J.P TIMBERLAKE - Cork, wood, plastics, blanks, etc., all required specific finishes and application techniques in order to look good and last for years. JP has spent many years perfecting the best methods and products to provide the utmost in beauty and durability on nearly any material used for crafting handles and grips today. Blank painting and finishing is included!

CUSTOM ROD AESTHETICS BY KAREN CAMPBELL - When it comes to pleasing aesthetics on a custom rod, let nature be your guide. Karen is a long time artist and understands the natural world of color and contrast. Her instruction will completely change how you go about selecting colors and combinations for your next custom rod. This is a truly enlightening seminar focusing on the color and aesthetic perfection that is all around us in nature. Karen shows you how.

ROD TECHNOLOGY UPHEAVAL BY TOM KIRKMAN - Over the next year, several new products will change the course of both commercial and custom rod building as we know it. Drop in for an eye opening look at how both commercial and custom rods will be built in the very near future. Things are going to be a lot different!

INNOVATIVE ROD COMPONENTS BY RICH FORHAN - Rich is the most influential custom rod builder of our generation. His ideas and concepts have been adopted by not only custom rod builders, but by many commercial rod companies as well. Let Rich show you how to modify existing off the shelf components for improved performance, sensitivity and durability.

SPIRAL WRAP RODS BY RICH FORHAN - From his innovative Revolver Rod to the Simple Spiral, Rich covers everything you will ever need to know about the spiral wrap for casting rods. If you have ever wanted to spiral wrap a rod, or had questions on this practical yet often misunderstood technique, Rich will teach you all you need to know.

TECHNIQUE SPECIFIC RODS AND METHODS BY RICH FORHAN - Modern bass fishing is evolving at a rapid pace. Swim baits, jump lures, dropshotting and a host of other techniques are covered here. Learn how to build the rods required as well as how to actually perform these modern and highly productive techniques. This one isn't just for rod builders... come one come all. If you bass fish, you will love this one!

BAMBOO ROD MAKING BY DAVE MALE AND KEN PRESTON - Enjoy watching each and every step required in making your own bamboo fishing rod. This art form is not only rewarding, but definitely obtainable for anyone with a little patience and a love for the natural world of bamboo. Dave and Ken have prepared a beautiful presentation explaining every step necessary in crafting a handmade bamboo fishing rod.

TOOLS OF THE TRADE BY MIKE BARKLEY - Rod building requires very little in the way of special tools, but there are some specialty tools out there that definitely make custom rod building easier and more enjoyable. Join Mike as he teaches you how to build and use some of them. This is one of the more clever and enjoyable rod building seminars you will ever attend.

BASIC THREAD WEAVING BY JIM UPTON - Learn the ins and outs of decorative thread weaving by the Dragon Master himself. Jim is a master thread artist and quickly explains how this fascinating aspect of the craft is performed. Yes... you can learn thread weaving and Jim is the guy to show you how. Here is your chance to learn up close and in person from the man who has revolutionized the weaving art.

ADVANCED THREAD WEAVING BY JIM UPTON - Take your knowledge of decorative thread weaving to a new level as the Dragon Master shows you how to employ multiple thread colors in the same pattern, perform 360 degree weaves and how to create and develop your own personal weaving patterns. You cannot buy this level of instruction at any price. Do not miss it!

BUILDING BLUE WATER FLY RODS BY MICHAEL TAYLOR - Learn the tricks needed to build fly rods than can stand up and conquer the denizens of the deep! Michael builds them every day and his rods have proven that they are more than up to the task. If you want to build fly rods for landing large species such as tuna and marlin, you will not want to miss this one.

UNIQUE HANDLE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION BY MIKE BARKLEY - Mike has made a name for himself with his beautiful and intricate handle assemblies. Here is your chance to learn from one of the best in the business. Mike will also cover many of the newer handle materials that have appeared on the market in the past year.

VISUALWRAP COMPUTER SOFTWARE FOR THREAD ART BY DAVID BOYLE - Custom rod thread art became a science when David Boyle introduced his VisualWrap software. Come learn how to use it on your home computer to design, view, manipulate, create and execute nearly any decorative crosswrap your mind can conceive. Also on tap - David introduces a new software component that allows you to design and execute thread weaves on your computer. If you do decorative crosswrapping or weaving, this is the future!

ABALONE SHELL VENEERS BY JOE EMIG - Joe shows you how to add this beautiful irredescent shell to your next custom rod in a variety of sensational ways. If you want your next custom rod to really stand out from the crowd, this is one seminar you must attend. A real groundbreaker!

UNIQUE DECORATIVE HANDLE TECHNIQUES BY JOE EMIG - There are a variety of ways you can dress up a custom rod. One of them is by using intricate wood inlays, laser engraving, powder coating or polyester casting in your handle or grip pieces. Joe is a master of all these techniques. Learn from one of the very best in this eye opening seminar!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2007 05:50PM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2008 ICRBE Seminars
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 27, 2007 06:11PM

Awesome lineup, as always, Tom!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 27, 2007 07:26PM

Tom;
You have got to stop posting this stuff.
Every time you do my mouth goes to drooling,

my hands go to shaking,

and I can’t leave my rod room till the next morning.

My favorite time of the year for fishing is coming up and all I can think about is Feb. in High Point

Date: August 27, 2007 07:41PM

Sorry to break it to you Steve. But, youve caught the bug!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: August 28, 2007 03:18PM

Whoa... I'm gonna be really busy for two days in February...

Posted by: John Sams (80.77.80.---)
Date: August 28, 2007 09:25PM

You better believe your going to be busy! Day and night. There is so much to see and so much to learn that you never seem to stop.

Even with the seminars and all the neat product to see and look over, the BEST part has to be the many new friendships you will make at this event! Everybody there is already your best friend even though you've never met them before! All the informal bull sessions and knowledge that gets passed back and forth on the floor and at the hotel after hours is incredible! Wait and see. You'll learn nearly as much from all the new rod builder contacts you make at the show than you will at the seminars, great as they are.

There is nothing like being around other rod builders who share the same passion as you do and in Highpoint next Feb. you'll be surrounded by more rod builders than you will be at any other event. Get ready to have a blast like nothing else!!

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: August 29, 2007 12:58AM

I'm trying to figure out how to attend the seminars, do our spring stocking, and work our table all at the same time. Gary and my wife will be coming with me. Just for fun, we'll be building a rod from scratch across the two days. Somewhere in there we'll need some food and sleep.

But the best part will be to meet all the folks from here, and from anywhere else.

OK, I'll skip the sleep.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 29, 2007 08:32AM

There is always a ton of information to be had in the seminars. But there is a ton of information to be had from the other builders there as well. We set aside a social area on the main exhibit hall floor, along with the one outside in the atrium and a lot of guys meet there and swap information or stories.

Odd things sometimes happen. I remember a couple years back that I kept having guys from West Virginia come by the booth and tell me that they sure wished that there more rod builders there in WV. One by one I directed them to each other. I think Mark Crouse formed a WV rod building club or gathering that weekend. Some of these guys lived in the same town and had to come to the ICRBE just to find their fellow local rod builders.

Date: August 29, 2007 12:07PM

I think I may have been part of that group. Thanks Tom!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Richard Kuhne (---.listmail.net)
Date: August 29, 2007 01:37PM

Very well put. The idea that you only find friendships and bonds in rod building among a club or an organization is just plain silly. Rod builders do not care what you belong to or do not belong to. Come to the ICRBE and you will be welcomed with open arms. Friendships and fellowships abound and you will make lifelong friends and meet rod builders that you would otherwise never have a chance to meet and greet in person. All wonderful people and all willing and able to dialogue with you on any aspect of custom rod building.

Never let anyone tell you that you have to join a group or pay a membership fee in order to make friends in the custom rod building hobby. The ICRBE proves you do not, if this forum has not already done so. Good, lasting friendships do not depend on paying someone a membership fee.

Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 29, 2007 09:33PM

I will attend Bill Stevens Seminar and if you would like me to interpret the Cajun dialect I will be glad to lol. Cant wait to meet all of yall in NC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster