I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need some good advise !
Posted by: Todd Irwin (63.169.199.---)
Date: August 25, 2007 04:55PM

Broke a rod last week in a tourney.... A 6 foot MH action kinda cheap rod but 1 that I liked & used alot... have a couple Loomis 2 & 3 s... And their ok.... but wanting to build something that will impress me or something nice ....light weight & sensitive for tournament fisherman or should I just buld another Loomis & be done with it.... I usually throw 1/32 to 1/4 oz baits with this rod ( I know these are little baits but I back it with a nice reel & it works nice ! Just interested in possibly something new that other people like !

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need some good advise !
Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 25, 2007 05:10PM

St. Croix Legend Elite SCV EC60MF
or
CTS (check with dealer for model)
Either way you should be more than happy.
Dave

Posted by: Aaron Anderson (---.cust.wildblue.net)
Date: August 25, 2007 05:14PM

First off is it a spinning or casting rod? And how hard on it are you going to be? If your a tourny angler I would guess they take a beat'n. I know i've fished some tournys myself. For durability I'd go with the St. Croix SC2 or the Batson RX6 blanks. For a middle of the road durability with some more sensitivity Id go with St. Croix SC3 or Batson RX7 blanks. For maximum sensitivity St Croix SC4 and SC5 and Batson RX 8+ - with these you need to use more care and caution due to the high graphite content they are more brittle.

Aaron Anderson
Beaver Rods

Date: August 25, 2007 05:28PM

It will be a casting rod.....And all I do is tourney fish.... And they do take a beating ( Broke 3 IMX s in 1 year ) kinda got away from them...I know people say well you hit them on things & beat & bang them against this or that.... BUT i take very good care of my rods....Keep them in rod sleeves when I m not using them etc etc......Just want a good sensitive rod that s lite & will hold up for everyday use because I use them alot !

Thanks

Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: August 25, 2007 05:58PM

Check out the Lamiglass XMG spin and jig blanks. They aren`t cheap, but I feel you get tremendous value for the money. I don`t do a lot of bass fishing but I think one of this series of blanks would make you very happy. I claim to be no expert but in my opinion the Lamiglass XMG`s are wonderfull blanks worthy of a look by anyone seeking a great fishing instrument.

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2007 06:30PM

Todd , ck out CTS , we just received a bunch of bait casting and spinning blanks . We do not have any of the new ones on our websits yet .

Robert

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 25, 2007 08:08PM

SCIV - there is NOTHING like ART (Advanced Reinforcement Technology). It makes for one VERY tough durable blank. If you manage to break those on fish, you are doing something very wrong - IMO.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: August 25, 2007 08:31PM

turn that broken rod into a gaff :D

Date: August 25, 2007 08:52PM

SCIV.....I willing to give them a try... Who sells them at the best price ?

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.150.popsite.net)
Date: August 25, 2007 08:59PM

Also call Bill Batson !!!!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 25, 2007 08:59PM

Everyone sells them for the same price, choose the vendor you like best ... whole list on the left.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 25, 2007 11:46PM

Todd,
We need input, what are you fishing, hook size, line, etc. We need particulars to narrow our suggestions from the generalities you've seen so far. Once we lazer in on this thing we may also know where some good values are also.

Date: August 26, 2007 07:06AM

OK.......I m using on this rod 1/32 to no more than 1/4 oz of weight..and a 1/0 or 2/0 EWG hook....always use mono or Fluro 12 to 14 lbs line....And I usually always am throwing some sort of small plastic bait kinda like a finese bait but 90 % of the time its in the river ! Current plays a big role in the weight & size of the bait but need the 6 foot & the MH action in the river to pull the fish out of the cover.

Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2007 07:12AM by Todd Irwin.

Posted by: shawn storey (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: August 26, 2007 11:11AM

you should really check out the cts blanks. you won't be disappointed

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: August 26, 2007 12:26PM

Some blanks that I know have a soft enought tip, but the backbone you may be looking for. Don't pay any attention to the power rating from each manufacturer as they are arbitrary and not universally used industry wise. Neither are line ratings, but they seem closer from supplier to supplier.

Lamiglas IMS 78 ML, There is a IMC version that is a bit stiffer/faster if needed. Have caught 25+ lb salmon by accident on this blank IMS/IMC and it's 6 ft version which is no longer produced. Lots of backbone, never runs out of power even with the big fish. Very smooth and accurate casting blanks.

Graphite USA C602DHX, C662DHX, C60LMXFWDHX which is a lighter power worm blank. FishSticks4U was a GUSA dealer and now a CTS dealer and can help you select a similar CTS blank.

6 ft blanks are going out of favor for bass so the variety is thinning out some. The G Loomis casting rods/blanks not the MBs would also be in the hunt I think, though you seem to want to branch out some.
I think I have some of the 6 ft Lamiglas Certified Pro versions in storage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2007 05:59PM by Spencer Phipps.

Date: August 26, 2007 05:04PM

So what about the Lammyglass ( lol) .... What s the specs price of etc etc !

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: August 26, 2007 05:58PM

Specs and price are on the Lamiglas site, Mudhole, Custom Tackle, and many others. 6 to 17 lb line, 1/8 to 5/8 lure weight if I remember right. Makes a good heavier line dropshot rod also.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster