I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Four votes for worlds best rod builder
Posted by: ronnie young (---.newwavecomm.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 12:10PM

A little over a year ago I had never built a rod or for that matter never even thought about building one, I spent all of my spare time fishing. Then one day one of my twin grandsons who thinks Pap-Paw can do anything ask me if I could make him a "fishing pole". Well not wanting to tell him I couldn't , I started searching web sites and was lucky enough to find this one, It was hard for me to believe there were so many talented craftsmen from all over the world who were more than willing to offer their time and expertise to help newbies like me. The first thing I did was order Toms book on Rod Building that was recommended by many. Still not knowing whether I could pull this of I continued to daily read all the post on this site and try to absorb as much of the info I could. I am not sure the name of the builder, but someone who use to post on this site would sign of with "don't let what you can't do stop you from doing what you can do" that may not be the exact wording but was what got me to thinking. Since then I have built about twenty rods and four of them earned me the four votes for worlds best [ all four were from grand kids] and all of the others were built as gifts for my fishing buddies and myself. I just wanted to thank all of the people who contribute info to this site and to let every one know that if they are interested in this hobby , the info and help on this site is all that is needed, No I still can't do weaves and inlays or a lot of the other high end stuff but I can build a rod that that I am proud of and all of the ones I have given away have become the favorite rod of my friends and grand kids. It sure makes you feel good when you get to watch one of your grand kids catch a good fish on the "fishing pole" you made for them. My wife was really proud of my new hobby until I the visa bills started coming in, all of which were from vendors on this site, but after she figured it up it was still less than what I was spending on all the fishing trips I was taking before. I think I have finally convinced her that Black Dog Tackle is a charity org. teaching Labrador Retrievers to play football. Once again just a thank you to all. What you are doing here is like Tiger Woods going down to the local putt putt course and teaching someone how to line up a putt.

Ronnie Young

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Four votes for worlds best rod builder
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 24, 2007 02:26PM

Good word Ronnie, I agree 110%.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bob Swindell (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 03:26PM

Very well written Ronnie .... I think all who use this site and pursue this hobby can relate and will agree with your comments!! Best regards, Bob Swindell

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 04:16PM

Ronnie,

There are many things that make this web site better than any other I have ever found. Not only is this a storehouse of constantly updated information and discourse on the craft of rod building; the Forum exemplifies the attitude of generous sharing. Your experience is the norm here. Aside from the many professionals who serve the needs of this craft the rest of the names you see here were all newbies at one point. Who here has not been helped along by some other friendly builder? We all share in your joy because we have all experienced it first hand.
The great thing is that we seem to all want to keep that tradition going. And if you think this site is something; just get down to the ICRBE in February and you will revel in unparalleled comraderie around rod building. This humble enterprise has spawned a constantly expanding community of dedicated rod builders who are happy to share their knowledge with others. The wonderful attitude of the participants is really what sets it apart. It's always pleasant to read new accounts of the kindness that takes place over the Forum.

Dave

Date: August 24, 2007 04:57PM

Dave
I am planning to try to make the trip to the ICRBE in February and from what I have seen and heard I know I will have to feel like a fox in a hen house.
Ronnie

Posted by: Walt Davenport (---.tycoelectronics.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 05:02PM

Ronnie,

Wow, I couldn't have said that any better myself; your experience with this site is like mine. A year ago I hadn't done much more than putting a new tip on a rod, today I've got 4 rods on the dryer, and 2 in the process of being wrapped. I 've been lurking on this site for a while but just recently started posting. I put up a few pictures a week or so ago after feeling pretty good about some of the techniques I've been playing around with, I was so excited with the positive response I received by a few of the custom rod artists that post on this forum that I made my wife read them too.

I've seen a lot of cookie cutter customs made by tackle shops etc, don't get me wrong I'm not knocking 'em, if you can sell the same product over and over I can't blame them one bit, but I always wanted something more, something different and unique . When I found this site I found a group that was anything but cookie cutter, and because of that and the willingness to share ideas and techniques it has brought my game way up. I hope one day with a lot of practice and study of our craft to be considered a part of this group.

You're right about the CC receipts; me and the wife have a don't ask don't tell policy about our individual purchases. When I see her come through the door with another pocket book or pair of shoes I just bite my lip and go back to the rod building room to see what I need to order:)

I passed on the Rod Building Show this past year, it won't happen again.

Walt

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 05:31PM

Ronnie and Walt,

I'll be looking to say hello to you guys at the next ICRBE. The bad weather cancelled my flight in 2007 so I plan to drive down next year.
Lots of space in the Explorer for stuff!!

Dave

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: August 24, 2007 06:42PM

"Don't let what you cannot do, interfere with what
you can do"

Thanks Ronnie!
I used to use that quote.. I beleive a great college basketball coach said it first!

The forum has helped me very much and continuse to do so!

Man, you hit it on the head! The rods I build for kids are the ones I enjoy the
most. Hugs are far more valuable than dollars no matter what my visa
statement looks like. LOL

Someday I WILL make it to the BIG show in FEB. but unless I hit the lotto
probably not in '08

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 24, 2007 07:28PM

Ronnie,
The best is yet to come! The greatest thing will be when you help one of those grandkids build a rod!!!! My greatest thrill was seeing my 9 year old grandson catch his first bass (15" LM) on a rod that HE built. It was awesome.
If you're planning on trying to get to High Point in Feb, I would book a room now at show rates ( if they have any left) at the Radisson, right across the street.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2007 10:47PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.231.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 24, 2007 10:46PM

Great feeling isn't it, Ronnie?

My son turns 13 next week, and while he has designed several rods for me to build him, he decided that he is ready to have me to coach him through his first rod build, tip to butt, for one of his b-day gifts. I'm not sure who is looking forward to it more, me or him!

Date: August 24, 2007 11:24PM

Thanks for all the replies to my first post, it just proves what I was saying about the people who are a part of this site. Sorry about forgetting your name Raymond and the exact wording of your sign off , but the meaning of it I will always remember. Sometimes we get to upset over what we can't do, that we don't stop and be thankful for what we are still able to do. Even though I am no longer able to drive two hours to get the lake ,fish a twelve hour tournament and then drive home doesn't mean I don't still enjoy fishing. Mike and Mick I now know what you mean about the kids and watching them catch fish on the rods you have made just for them. For me , seeing them enjoy doing what I have enjoyed for many years means much more than catching the biggest fish or bringing the heaviest bag to the scales doesn't mean near as much to me any more. I am now working on one of the little pink blanks form Mud Hole for my two year old grand daughter here only comment so far is "mine and pretty" so I don't guess I have her vote yet. Thank to all
Ronnie

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 25, 2007 12:03AM

Wrong Ronnie!
Ya got her vote long before you even ordered the blank! Kids are HONEST! They don't
care if the rod weighs 1oz or 20oz, they dont see all the little imperfections or a bump
in the finish! All they care is that it is their"special" rod and their PaPaw made it just
for them!

Thanks Ronnie for reminding me of what really matters!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2007 12:23AM by Raymond_Adams.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster