I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wire or Ceramic Guides for a Loomis IMX 4 wt?
Posted by: Fred Staley (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: August 23, 2007 10:47AM

I'm trying to select the guides for a Loomis IMX F964-3 (8 ft/4 wt) blank that I'm getting ready to build. But can't decide whether to go single foot wire or ceramic.

Up until now, I've used traditional wire snake guides (on the 5 fly rods that I've build so far). But after reading some of the discussions here, sounds like I may be able to improve the rod's performance (whether that means greater casting distance, quieter casting, or longer fly line life, I'm not certain).

If I go ceramic, I was thinking of using the following Fuji Titanium SiC Concept guides:

1 TLNSG-12J stripper guide
1 TLSG-7J fly guide
7 TLSG-6J fly guide
1 TFST-6-4 tip top

Even though these are pricey, thought they would be lightest ceramic guides available?

If I go single foot wire, I was thinking of using the following:

1 TLNSG-12J stripper guide
1 Size 5 wire
7 Size 2 wire
1 Std loop wire tip top

Is the extra weight of the ceramic guides too much for a 4 wt rod? If not, which option would you select?

And does the sizing of the two options look about right?

Or if you can think of a better guide setup, I'm open to those suggestions as well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wire or Ceramic Guides for a Loomis IMX 4 wt?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: August 23, 2007 11:18AM

Fred your going a bit to large on the tip guides I think. A 4 wt should take 1/0 guides, maybe 2/0 easy. The ring size of a 6 ceramic is about a #1 wire.

Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: August 23, 2007 11:42AM

You could think about doing a combination of the two if you aren't worried as much about having a consistent set of either wire or SIC. I've been playing with a fly rod (5wt) and found that using two SIC stripper guides and a SIC tip provide basically as good a performance as with all SIC guides. Using only the three SIC guides and the rest wire also seemed to improve the blank performance over all SIC (of course I didn't have titanium guides to work with either so take the added weight into account with my testing) and keep it pretty close to that of the all wire setup.

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.ag.utk.edu)
Date: August 23, 2007 11:46AM

I like the ceramic guides on fairly light rods. Imporoved performance to me does not necessarily mean increased casting distance, because with a lot of line out and using the full power of the rod the guides have little effect overall anyway.

But what is improved is the ease of making the little short shoots with little line out that making fishing easier. And shooting line on the back cast. And feeding line to mend, etc. For me the slicker guides just make it a little easier. Not a whole bunch, but just a little. And you got to learn not to point the rod straight up because the guides are so slick it will fall back through them.

I don't know what the "lightest" all ceramic guides are. I have built with the SIC-titanium and they are pretty light.

The real weight savings that is important is in the tiptop. And the ceramic tiptops with the titanium frame are a bunch lighter than the standard chrome steel loop top.

I have a 4 wt or two or so with the ceramic all the way up. But lately to save weight, money, and to make things interesting I have been building my real light rods with a sort of hybrid guide selection. A titanium ceramic tiptop or one of those ugly, ultra light, REC tiptops, followed by 3 or 4 REC titanium single foots, followed by ceramic the rest of the way down. My logic is to try to get the ceramic guides where there is some loading when the rod bends or the line is being gathered to cast, and to use the wire guides where the rod needs to be light and the line just is flowing through without a lot of slap to straighten out. Realistically I guess if the top and the stripper were ceramic that would get about 70% of the big jobs done anyway.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster