I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inlay in rear of cork grip
Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.dewr.gov.au)
Date: August 23, 2007 01:18AM

G'day Guys,

I'm wanting to install an inlay in the rear of a cork grip. It will probably just be an aluminium disc with some engraving on it.

I am assuming that I need a piloted drill bit of the same diameter as the inlay to make a round recess for the inlay to sit in. Then just glue then inlay in and fill over the top of it with epoxy finish.

Is this the right method?

Cheers

Jason

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inlay in rear of cork grip
Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: August 23, 2007 08:23AM

Jason, that will work just fine - I often use Forstner bits, they drill a clean, flat hole. Also, if you need an exact diameter that does not correspond to a drill bit size, you can use a Dremel type rotary tool to carve out the recess - use the inlay to mark the diameter of the recess on the ring, then slowly work up to that diameter, test fitting the inlay several times until you achieve a snug fit. Use rodbond or similar structural epoxy to attach the inlay, then fill over it with epoxy finish. I've done quite a few of these, and they really are a neat addition to a rod. Good luck!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 23, 2007 08:50AM

Quick and easy. Punch a hole in the butt cap with anything. Open it up by round file. Use Dremel with the round cylindrical drum sanding tool to shape to desired diameter. It is round and will shape the hole quite nicely without making errors. Select a fine bottle of wine - drink 1/2 of it - cut a small thin piece of the wine bottle cork and shape to fit in hole - Five Minute Epoxy the little plug. Get some artist black or any color acrylic paint and paint the interior for background - place the piece - fill the void with clear resin - I use Swifty - drink the other 1/2 of the wine and admire your work.

Gon Fishn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2007 09:57AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: August 23, 2007 09:48AM

doh! I forgot all about the wine cork/etc... :-) My problem is after the 1/2 bottle of wine, I'd forget all about the rod and start calling ex-girlfriends, etc.... (I'm a lightweight)

Yep - I usually plug the hole with a cork/etc. Then have some black metallic fleck automotive touch up paint that I paint the bottom of the inlay recess with - this looks really cool with one of the pewter Harris pins.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 23, 2007 12:58PM

Bil!!

LOL!!

DR

Posted by: Jason Groombridge (---.dewr.gov.au)
Date: August 23, 2007 08:55PM

Thanks for the help guys.

I like the sounds of Bill's method the best. I just hope I can find a bottle of Scotch that has a cork in it!

Cheers

Jason

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.mad.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 25, 2007 07:06PM

After a half bottle of scotch none of this will matter...

Dave

Posted by: Jason Groombridge (149.135.108.---)
Date: August 27, 2007 06:09AM

:-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster