I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

slicing cork rings
Posted by: jason henderson (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 12:45PM

Most rings come in 1/4" widths I was looking for an easy way to get a good slice to 1/8" or smaller. I ahve done a few with a sharp razor blade but want to find a "safer" way.

JJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: slicing cork rings
Posted by: John Straus (204.136.26.---)
Date: August 21, 2007 12:56PM

I am not sure, but you might be able to cut it the same way you would EVA, with thread on a lathe, depending on the density and make of the cork, or putting it on a lathe and using an exacto knife to cut as it spins

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2007 12:57PM by John Straus.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 01:06PM

Custom Tackle (linked on left) sells a slicing Jig too. Worth a look.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Paul_Schendel (---.kochind.com)
Date: August 21, 2007 01:17PM

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 01:44PM

I use a band saw. You could probably do the same thing by clamping a board on a jig saw table to use as a fence.

If you have a call to cut rings down fairly often you can get a small bench top band saw or jig saw at harbor freight for a $100 or less I would guess. I paid $60 for my jig saw at clerance sale at Lowes.

Then you would have the saw for cutting other things like reel seat blanks etc.

Ray

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 04:24PM

With a good thin kerf blade in the bandsaw (Timberwolf is a good brand) I/you can get three 1/8in. rings and a very thin one. I just got a new (to me) Delta bandsaw. I cut up about 25 rings into 1/8in. Sunday night for a couple of projects. It took about 15 minutes.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 06:52PM

The jig from Custom Tackle Supply, on the left, works great for this with the right spacer - which you'll have to make, but its easy.
Lamar Fishing, also on the left, makes a very nice exotic burl, and its available in 1/8" rings from at least one of the distributors - again, on the left.
Nothing left but good stuff.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 08:40PM

I made a jig from a one inch dia, PVC pip. I cut the pip half way threw. Using a utiliy knife I can cut the cork evenly no rough edges. When I cut the pip , the length was 1/2 inch, I made a mark at 1/4 an1/8. Using a fine tooth hacksaw blade I cut the pip half way threw. A utility blade fits the hacksaw cut just fine, no slop.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: August 22, 2007 07:19AM

I've seen a jig somewhere, maybe goldenwitch, that uses a shop vac to hold the ring in place and suck up the dust . It attached to your band saw and was supposed to be able to cut a 1/2' ring into 3 pieces.

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 22, 2007 08:14AM

That's right, Golden Witch sells one. I saw that one in the GW catalog and made my own with a Forstner bit and a few 1/4 in holes.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 22, 2007 01:06PM

RM Vol. 8-5 has a detailed article on the wood/vacuum slicing jig.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: August 23, 2007 10:48PM

This method has worked for me and I recommend it if you only have an occassional need to use thin rings. First get a coping saw and slice each ring roughly in half with the saw. Then take a block of wood and sink a hole in it the same diameter as the ring and with a depth equal to the thickness of the rings you want to make. Put a cut ring in the hole with the smooth side down and the rough cut side facing out. Lay a piece of sandpaper on your workbench and then take your block of wood with a ring in it and just rub it on the sandpaper until the cork is flush with the surface of the block. It doesn't take very long to do this. (Use a medium grit sandpaper). This low-tech method works a lot better than you might be inclined to think. Of course you will only get two thin rings out of each cork ring, but that's not so bad really. A coping saw is a great tool to have around if you don't already have them. I have my share of power tools but I always grab the hand tools first for small jobs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster