I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

starting out !
Posted by: Van VanCorbach (---.dialup.fsr.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 10:34AM

I searched around this site a bit and didnt seem to find this . Its been asked before Im sure. I would like to start building a few rods. Whats my best way to learn video,books----If so which ones would you guys recommend for the beginer?
Thanks for the help
Van

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: starting out !
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: August 21, 2007 10:48AM

There was a fella that put out a book a while back called the Rod Building Guide, I think his name was Kirkman or something like that. Lots of pictures and is striaght to the point.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 21, 2007 11:26AM

Rodbuilding Guide by Tom Kirkman will be the best $15 you will ever spend on this obsession. Scour the Library, FAQ, Glossary and Photo Pages above. Order some catalogs from the manufacturer's on the left. I would also get hold of a catalog from Mudhole, IMO, it's the best retail catalog in the industry and contains a lot of info as well No slighting the other fine vendors to the left but few, if any, have printed catalogs) Browsw all of the vendors sites on the left as they don't all cary the same products.

Be sure to post qustion here, no matter how basic you may think they are! You will get a lot of help. Learn to use the search feature on this site as about 10 years worth of posts are archived and contain a to of info and opinions. Also, you might want to UNHIDE your e-mail so people can contact you directlt.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2007 11:27AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 11:29AM

Scott has sent you to the best infomation you'll find, BUY IT (less than $20!). It's not a long huge major brain wrecking book, it's more like a short magazine with great photo's and straight forward information.

After you read it, you'll refer to it often in the begining, and after that you can pick up the rest right here on the board-some GREAT guys with enough knowledge to keep you busy forever.

DR

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.183.116.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 11:58AM

Also subscribe to the RodBuilder mag that this guy who is he Kirkman puts out. Many many ideas.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 12:01PM

Tom's book was the first thing I picked up after a 20+ year hiatus from rods. I also picked up Clemens book used off @#$%&, but see that Mudhole now has new reprints too : [shop.mudhole.com] . The Clemens book may be a little dated here and there when it mentions particular products, but the techniques carry over.

There is also a lot online. [shop.mudhole.com] is one. There are many others out there too.

Once you suck in enough of the varied techniques, you are likely to find yourself hybridizing them with your own spin, likes/dislikes, insights, and working tool constraints. For most anything you read, there are usually different ways to do the same thing. An informed "blue sky" frame of mind, if you will

Posted by: Brent Keever (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 21, 2007 12:03PM

Van I would also find someone in your area who has been at this for a while. Get in touch with them and try to spend some time with them at there shop. I found that hands on experience is the best way for me to learn. All the things the guys suggested above is right on the book this forum have all played in helping me. I have just been doing this for a few months. But if you can find a mentor it will really help you take off save you some time and probably money by learning from someone who has been at this for a while they can steer you away from some of the trouble areas. Not that you wont find them on your own. And practice practice practice. Welcome to the addiction of rod building hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
Brent Keever

Posted by: John Straus (204.136.26.---)
Date: August 21, 2007 12:05PM

Van,
Where are you located?

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 12:05PM

some great advice you have gotten so far! Also on the mudhole site they have a "rod building 101" section and it has free how-to mini videos you can download and watch on there...for example: guide wraps, mounting eva grips, etc etc

Posted by: Chase Foster (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: August 21, 2007 12:49PM

Also take a look at Ken Preston's DVD, it is very informative. Ken is a great custom rod builder and is very active with this forum.

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Posted by: Van VanCorbach (64.126.139.---)
Date: August 21, 2007 01:12PM

Thank you guys so much for the imput !!!
Mike, When I signed on, there wasnt an option for hidding my e-mail I didnt know it was until you pointed it out. Cant seem to change it.

John, I am located in north central Idaho. I see that black dog tackle that has an add on here is 17 miles down the road from me.
I have a few of the catalogs and such and have read everything in them. There were a lot of books and dvds and I didnt want to start on top --just basics.
Again, Thanks so much for everyones help !!
Van

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 21, 2007 02:08PM

Van,

A lot of awesome and "right on" advise above. I'll add this. When you have time to burn, start at the very first post on this forum, when it first started, and read toward this page. You will discover a WEALTH of information to help you along. Helped me tons when I first started a few years ago. To unhide your email address, go to "My Control Center" at the top of the message list and follow the directions. You'll get a lot of direct emails pertinent to your questions. Helps Tom save bandwidth.

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2007 02:10PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 21, 2007 02:23PM

Van, click on MY CONTROL PANEL in the red bar at the top of the messages and EDIT E-mail settings and enter and CHECK VERIFY! Shoot me an e-mail at mabarkley@wowway.com

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 06:33PM

1) Before you buy any of the aforementioned books, or videos, etc, I highly recommend the "Credit Card & Debt Management:" book, a step-by-step how-to guide for organizing and managing credit card dept. 2) If you are maried, you can probably save some time and a whole lot of mula now by calling 1-800-DIVORCE. 3)Good luck. 4) Seriously though, it doesnt have to be expensive. 5) Follow some of Tom Kirkman's tips and you should be able to give it a try without too much expense. 6) Attend the International Custom Rod Building Exposition in February 2008 7) If you find yourself hooked, then return to step 1.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 09:04PM

hahahaha you are sooooo right steven! tom kirkmans book was the first thing i have ever purchased for rodbuilding and it definately THE book to have for a new builder.

Posted by: Tony Mortimer (---.hsd1.ct.comcast.net)
Date: August 29, 2007 07:22PM

Van: go down to see the Black Dog folks. I've found them knowledgeable, helpful, good service -- and he builds rods, too.

Tony M

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster