I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank recommendation - 8'6" surf rod...
Posted by: Burton Short (---.bankofamerica.com)
Date: August 20, 2007 03:27PM

I am trying to find a 2 piece 8'6" blank rated to upto at least 3 oz. to use as a mullet/flounder/pompano rod in the surf. I've check out the rainshadow blanks and they only offer an 8'6" version in 1 piece. I would really like to stick with 8'6" for two reasons. I'm going to need to get some decent distances and so I don't want to go any shorter and I also want to try and make this rod as light as I possibly can so I am resisting going to 9'. My plan is to build a superlight little fish rod using titanium single foot guides with minimal wraps to keep it as light as possible.

Does anyone know who builds a blank that fits this description? Any that are lighter than the others?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recommendation - 8'6" surf rod...
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 20, 2007 03:54PM

Might look at the Rogue SU864-2, SM868-2 or anyones 2 pc. hot shot blank with the right lure/line rating you need.

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: August 20, 2007 03:56PM

I just built a rod for similiar purposes on a Rainshadow Hotshot blank. I can't recall the model suffix but it was a 1021 - 3/8 to 3 oz. The x-fast action works great imo for this type fishing. I set it up with NPS seat (backwards), split grip, and new concept guide lay out (Alconites). I spooled the reel with 30lb braid and use a 20lb flouro leader. Works great.

Looked it up HS (Duh) 1021F

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2007 04:01PM by Steve Rushing.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 20, 2007 05:16PM

Lamiglas Ron Arra blanks will work well for this.
XRA 102 2M ... 8'6" ... 1/2 - 2oz ... Blank weight 4 1/2 oz
XRA 108 3-2 ... 9' .... 3/8 - 2 1/4 ... Blank weight 5 1/2 oz

If you want an even lighter blank look into the CTS line. I don't think you'll find any blanks thinner or lighter than theirs. The Lami's go for almost $200 ea and the CTS will be more but you'll have a supreme fishing rod.

Have fun,
Dave

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 20, 2007 05:52PM

Burton , your email is hidden . I have 2 CTS blanks you may be interested in . Both 8'6" , 2pc , one 11/4-3oz , charcoal -- the other 13/8- 33/4oz gloss olive .

Robert

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: August 20, 2007 06:40PM

Burton....I can not speak for the CTS blanks but I have built upwards of 25 the Rainshadow hot shot blanks and all of them have fantastic cast distances...Like Steve Rushing says "spooled" . They come in two piece [HS1021F, HS1023F,and HS1025F] I used both Alconite and SIC guides and got raves for distance and lightness....check out UTMOST to the left under salmon/steelhead blanks.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Date: August 21, 2007 11:48AM

Sorry guys, I just updated my profile so my email now shows. I checked out the Rainshadow hotshot blanks and like the looks of the specs (and the price) but what color is Olympic Green? They don't show that color on their site. I was really hoping to find a matte grey like the other Rainshadow surf rods. I know it is kind of picky but I have a specific pattern for all of my surf rods that I want to try and keep. Does anyone know if they make any of the HS blanks in the matte grey?

I checked the CTS site thinking that they might have something but didn't see any listed on their site. Robert is the charcoal that is rated to 3 ozs actually capable of really casting 3 ozs or is that the absolute maximum and it is not recommended for really hard casts with that much wieght? How much does that blank weigh?

Date: August 21, 2007 12:00PM

Guys, I think I found it. Looks like Rainshadow makes their hotshot blank in the Matte Clear color. Thanks for all of your help!!!

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 02:00PM

Burton , please give me a call . The office number will be better

Robert

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 21, 2007 04:25PM

Burton,
The Olympic green is a true green, closest thing I can think of that come to mind that could help is Crayola Green when it's in the sun. I buy lots of this color.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster