I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger wrap observation and question
Posted by: David Wyatt (---.dsl.netins.net)
Date: August 18, 2007 12:51PM

While doing some tiger wraps on some practice pieces,I had something happen that I haven't seen discussed and wondered if this has happened to you. I did the first layer with a green and yellow A thread. I put CP on it and the next day put a coat of flex coat on.The second day I wrapped the next two threads on. After pulling out the pullout I looked at the piece and didn't like the results. There was a tiger effect but I didn't like the color combinations and I really hadn't done as good a job of wrapping the top layer as I would have liked so put the piece aside for a few weeks thinking I would pull off the third thread and rewrap it again later. Well today I decided to pull that third thread off and behold I still have the tiger effect with only two threads. I think the third thread took a "set" in the finish and the effect is still there although the thread is gone. Is that what happened?

Just thought I'd throw that out and see you think.

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger wrap observation and question
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2007 12:58PM

Yes, that's what happened. But, should you try to finish over that the "threads" that have been cut into the current top layer will be filled in and the effect will disappear.

If you read Scott's article you'll see that he tried with monofiliment on top, but once finish was applied the effect was lost.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2007 01:11PM

Lines left in the finish are enough to cause some effect. A difraction grating is basically a piece of clear glass or plastic with many parallel lines cut or cast into the surface. In a way, that's what you created in the top epoxy layer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2007 01:11PM by Dave Hauser.

Date: August 18, 2007 01:38PM

I thought probably the effect would disappear when covered but it hasn't disappeared when submersed in water.

Date: August 18, 2007 02:23PM

It will remain even like that. Lenses work underwater, you might note

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2007 02:38PM

As long as you don't cover the "threads" with anything, it won't change. Trouble is, if you don't cover it the threads will dent and ding and obviously it won't have that smooth, glassy look.

Date: August 18, 2007 02:56PM

But if you cover it with something with even a slightly different coefficient of refraction, the effect will remain and will be encapsulated

Date: August 18, 2007 03:48PM

I guess I expected the effect to disappear under water.Anyway it was all kind of interesting and was surprised at the result.
Thanks for your input.

Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster