I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How many is too many guides? HELP!!!
Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 18, 2007 09:45AM

I currently am building a 9.5' spinning rod. That said, I also just finished reading the article on guide placement in the latest edition of RodMaker. Having just done the math on spool face diameter to 1st choker guide my numbers look like this.

Diameter of spool: 47mm
Distance from spool face to 1st choker guide 47x27=1269mm or 1.27 meters (36.5")
Length of handle to centerline of reel seat 12.5"
Length of reel centerline to spool face 2.5"

36.5+12.5+2.5=51.5"
Length of rod in inches = 114"

114-51.5=62.5" tip top to first choker guide from butt of rod

Guide every 4"= 62.5 / 4 = 15.63 guides needed
Guide every 5" = 62.5 / 4 = 12.5 guides needed

My first thought was, "That's a lot of guides!" I rechecked my figures and reread the article and came up with the same numbers.

One of 2 things has happened. Either I've made it through life not really knowing how to follow directions with lousy math skills, or the article wasn't designed for extra long rods and I will need to spend a lot of bucks for choker guides.

Help me out guys. (Ladies also). I don't know how much more the wall can take from me beating my head against it.

darby

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many is too many guides? HELP!!!
Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 18, 2007 10:09AM

Darby, If you do a stadic test you might get rid of a guide or two. I just did a 9' spining rod and used 11 guides not including the tip top. I might have gotten by with 10 but I didn't want to take a chance for what I'm using that rod for.

Terry

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: August 18, 2007 10:13AM

Darby I use 11 guides on both the 1 power and 3 power 9 1/2 ft spinning rods. I haven't tried the new math, I just lay it out new concept + static distribution.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 18, 2007 10:50AM

You just didn't read closely enough.

The choker guide should be located about 49 or 50 inches from the face of the reel spool.

From there on out to the tip, use the same sized guides. Per the article guidelines, you can space the guides on heavier type rods farther apart than 4 or 5 inches each - according to the article "6 or 7 inches apart." And you can space them in a progressive fashion if you wish, but if you do so you will want to do a static distribution test on that portion of the rod to make sure you don't have any too far apart.

On a 9.5 foot rod, you should end up with about 11 guides total.

No disrespect towards Darby is intended in what I am about to say next. And... he did the right thing; reading the article and then coming here for support and confirmation. However, the series on guide placement is in the "Beginner's Corner" and cannot cover every possible scenario that might be encountered at either extreme. We hope that folks who might run into such extremes can back up and take a look at the big picture and make slight adjustments or adaptations to enable them to do what needs to be done in those rare but occasional situations.

For whatever it might be worth, if Darby had put guides at every 4 or 5 inches, the rod would indeed work just fine, but it would most likely have had to carry a few more guides than it really needed. The text of the article mentioned that on heavier rods you may place the guides about 6 or 7 inches apart and this would be the tact to take when you have such a long rod that falls outside the criteria given for number of guides normally needed for a particular length rod. I probably should have added that the same would hold true for very long rods. I erred in assuming that most folks would figure this out on their own.

Static spacing of the running guides was not discussed in that article in order to make it more simple for the intended audience. But as previous articles on the NGC in RodMaker have mentioned, you can indeed space the running guides in a progressive spacing fashion if you wish. If you choose to do so you will want to run a static distribution test to ensure that you still have enough guides. Using the equidistant method for placement of the running guides, there is no need to perform the static test as it is very unlikely that you would ever have too few guides. But on very heavy or very long rods, you might end up with a couple more than you actually need.

This is the dilemma for every author that has ever penned an instructional article of any kind - cover every possible scenario and few will bother to read it, citing it as being "too technical." Make it simpler and provide a "paint by the numbers" approach and those whose project falls into an extreme just outside the information provided will feel lost.

Date: August 18, 2007 11:46AM

I will reread again. To me it was evident that I missed something but I just didn't know what. Thanks for the input on this.

d

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2007 12:39PM

Darby,

Take a look at your unit conversions again. 1 meter is a little over 39 inches, so 1.27 meters would be 50 inches.

With the change, you would have 114 - 65 = 49.

That might help get you a little more in the ballpark that you expected.

Joe

Date: August 18, 2007 01:17PM

That will certainly help. And, something else that is forgotten is that you have a tiptop and a choker guide at either end of the remaining length, so drop two of the guides you thought you needed right there.

With 49 inches to span, and even using a 5 inch equidistant spacing, you'd only need 9 running guides to cover the distance.

Trust the articles, but do read them and figure your distances correctly. At least you won't need to bang you head on the wall any further... today.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: August 18, 2007 01:36PM

I essentially set up my guides as follows:
These would be for a spinning rod.
For the first choker guide, I typically put it at 20 inches. A bit closer in a shorter rod and perhaps up to 24 inches in a longer rod.
Then, I tend to throw away the ruler.
I grab a roll of tape and deflect the rod. I make sure that I have one guide located at the spot of initial deflection near the tip.
Then, for most spinning rods, depending on how fast the tip is: I will put one or two guides in front of the first bend.
Then I will start going back toward the butt of the rod, increasing the bend in the rod to find the logical bending points.

Years ago, when I first started making rods; I used many more guides than were really needed.
Today after building rods for many years; I use many fewer guides than I used to use.

Recently I completed a 10 foot spinning rod - that was based on a medium action steel head blank. This blank is a bit unusual, since the first 1/2 of the rod is extremely stiff. For my particular application, this suited my needs perfectly. However, it did make for a slightly unusual guide spacing.

Beginning at the butt of the rod and measuring from the center of the reel seat; the guide spacing is as follows:
24 inches, 20 inches, 14 inches, 13 inches, 11 1/2 inches, 9 inches, 5 1/2 inches, 5 1/2 inches, 5 inches --- then the tip.

For this particular rod, these 9 guides do an excellent job in carrying the line and loading the rod. I also used slightly oversized guides on the first two guides to help with the casting distance.

-------------
Summary -
Take any blank, bend the blank and began putting guides where the bends occur. Increase the bend to pick up more of the blank, and add guides as necessary to distribute the load to the blank.
In general, you are better off with one or more fewer guides than necessary. Too many guides dampen the action, make the rod tip heavy and due to increased line drag, impede casting distance.
In general, the distance between guides should increase as you go from the tip to the butt. This simply follows the normal increasing diameter and power of the blank as you go from the tip to the butt.

Take care
Roger

Date: August 18, 2007 02:42PM

Roger,

I think you're on a different page than we are. You are almost surely using the term "choker" instead of "butt" guide, which is what I think you mean. I can see putting a butt guide at 20 inches, but locating a choker at 20 and then having to put another 2 or 3 between that and the reel is going to be very hard to do.

I don't know exactly what you mean by "oversize." The trick is to use guides that are the correct size. Anything over or under that isn't going to work as well.

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 18, 2007 05:55PM

My 9' spinning rod has 8 guides plus tip and the measurments are from center of reel seat to first guide = 24.5", 13.5", 11.75", 10.5", 9", 6", 5", 4.5" Tip.

I spent a lot of time with this and still don't know if it is correct BUT this IMX rod casts like a rocket.

Does the distance from the reel to the first guide, a 25mm, seem to much & TIA?

Date: August 18, 2007 07:06PM

Not necessarily too far - does the line contact the blank on the cast just in front of that guide? If not, you're probably okay. I don't know exactly what method you used to set it up, but it appears you have a reasonable number of guides on there and if it casts well then you've likely done enough.

Date: August 18, 2007 09:53PM

Thanks for all the input. No wonder my checkbook is off! I recheck the math and also reread the artcle until it is clear.

darby

Date: August 18, 2007 10:02PM

You're on your way. Good fishing.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster