I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Next Project...Forecast spey rod....advice desired
Posted by: Keith Tymchuk (---.sttlwa.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 11:37PM

OK...I've decided on my xext project...a Forecast spey rod for summer steelhead floating line............

I need some advice....

Which blank....and I generally prefer something lighter...

the Forecast 11'6 6/7...or the 12'6 7/8.....

What is your experience with each blank..or either blank....Which do you prefer...and why......

How does the 7/8 handle sink tips.....

And how much should I allot for the entire project?

Thanks...

Keith

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Next Project...Forecast spey rod....advice desired
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: August 18, 2007 09:49AM

Keith,
I think you'll find all kinds of info on these blanks/guides/grip length/lines maybe in the search function. I've fished the 7/8 and own a older 13 ft RX8 version and frankly they are as nice as that rod or for that matter Sage and others I've fished. I think they are right up there with the best. Another I've heard good things about but haven't tried are the Beulah blanks.
I don't remember which line the fellow had on the Forecast 7/8, but it handled the floating and sinking tips beautifully.

Posted by: jason henderson (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 18, 2007 10:06AM

I have one of each 11'6" and the 12'6" and without hessitation I would recomend the 11'6" 7/8 for summer steelhead as the rod is light enough to enjoy. Too light for a king salmon but for steelhead it is my go to fly rod now. I haven't used many sink tips with the 11'6" I use a WF 7F. You may need to down size to a 6wt for a heavy grain tip but for a moderate sink tip it should cast real well. I would think that you would be happy with this rod for the fishing you talked about. The 12'6" is a little better for bigger water and I have put a windcutter on that blank and have been pretty happy but it is way to heavy for most steelhead in the east. I do use this for kings but where I found this rod was at it's peak was fishing the Kenai river for sockeye. It was all chuck and duck and the fish didn;t go over 15lbs but the length was perfect for line control and getting control over hot fish right off the ocean in heavy current.

JJ

Date: August 18, 2007 11:45AM

Thanks Jason...I appreciate the advice.

How much in the $ department to build the 11'6 6/7?

Keith

Posted by: jason henderson (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 18, 2007 02:34PM

I bought the kit from hook and hackle for the 12'6" it comes withthe regular snake guides and a spey style handle. The 11'6" are going for like $140-$150 now. What I did when I bought the 11'6" was to buy the kit and then I bought black single foot fly guides for it. I also changed the color for the thread , the kit comes with blue because the blank is blue,. The link to H&H is

[www.hookhack.com]

One other thing to caution you , I haven't used more than one other spey rod but these rods only realy qualify as a spey rod because of the nature of there handle and their length. I would not belooking to these as a typical spey rod. That said I love mine, I can spey cast with my 12'6" and on my home waters at the salmon river in NY I can reach anywhere I want. I overhead cast with my 11'6" more than spey cast but you can do it. If you are looking for a spey line for the 11'6" I know I had a hard time finding information about matching lines to these 2 rods. I went with a windcutter 9wt for the 12'6" and I think it is a little heavy for the blank. When I got the 11'6" done I had a WF 7F for a single hander and tried it inthe lake when I saw how I could cast the WF I said to @#$%& with the spey line the only thing I am going to change is to put a clear tip or a clear full line from the salt water lines and use it for shore casting.

JJ

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2007 02:46PM by jason henderson.

Posted by: Bob Crook (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 18, 2007 04:30PM

Keith,

You also might check out Bob Meiser's Builder Kits [www.meiserflyrods.com]

Being that he is just down the road from you in Medford it might be worth a trip to check out what he has. He is a wealth of knowlege when it comes to spey and switch rods.

Bob Crook
La Pine, OR

Date: August 18, 2007 04:54PM

Thanks Bob.

Will make sure I do that.

What is up with you...Anything new?

Just spent 5 days on the NU....got shut out (as I always do!) but had a great time!

Keith

Posted by: Steve Perakis (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 19, 2007 02:39PM

if you can afford the extra money, and you expect to use the rod for fishing on a regular basis and don't want to upgrade in the near future, then the inexpensive Clearwater blanks that Bob Meiser sells (several of which occur as TFO Deer Creek rods) are well worth it. They are extremely well balanced tapers, and more responsive (faster recovery) than the Batsons. The 12'6" 5/6 and 13' 7/8 both occur in the TFO Deer Creek series, which may give you an opportunity to demo them ahead of time. The 13' 7/8 is plenty of rod to handle tips for all around summer/winter steelheading, though honestly any rod will handle tips if lined correctly. These are great blanks. I have no affiliation, just spey rod nut.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster