I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Epoxy Mixer - what to do when done
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: August 17, 2007 02:52PM

I read the archives, didn't see any reference to this so I'll ask. When you're done with the mixing process, and either apply stright from te cup or pour the finsih out - what do you do with the ball bearing/stainless drill rod? DO you just wipe it off, dunk it into alcohol, use a new one each time?

lol at myself - I now have a piece of stainless drill rod epoxied to my benchtop.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy Mixer - what to do when done
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 03:02PM

I rigged mine with an arm made of Loc-Line and a strong aligator clip. I clamp a disposable Flex Coat mixing stick in it and position it in the cup, and just throw it away when done. You do get a few bubbles with this method, but won't have a bench full of drill rod glued to it. I also can hold a wood kraft stick with this and use it to mix my Flex Coat 20 min epoxy for grips.

Just an idea,
Marc

Posted by: Ken Bonneau (---.dalecarnegie.com)
Date: August 17, 2007 03:13PM

Bill,

I usually pour the contents of the cup onto a piece of tin foil, pick the rod and/or bearing up with a large pair of tweezers and then place it / them in denatured alcohol for 20 minutes or so. Wipe them off and store it / them between a folded paper towl until the next time. Unfortunately, at my advanced age my memory fogs and ocasionally I neglect to remove the rod or bearing from the cup before the alcohol evaporates in a day or so, leaving the rod / bearing encapsolated in epoxy.

I chip it off, clean it off and hope that my brain functions properly the next time.

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 03:54PM

Billy; Have you ever seen the ball joint under the sink for the stopper? I use the ball with the end cut off flush on one end and left a piece sticking up that I can grab (it's long enough that it stays out of the epoxy) and lift the ball out of the mixing cup. I then wipe it off and clean with alcohol. I'll take a picture and post it later.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 03:55PM

I only pour it out if it's a longer rod and pot life's going to be an issue. No need to pour the finish on foil to release the bubbles, cuz there aint none!

After applying the finish, I just pull the rod out of the cup, wipe off the excess finish with a paper towel, then wipe it again with alcohol(and have been known to forget to pull it out of the cup till I need it again). I just leave it on the bench getting dirty, but wipe it down with alcohol before the next use.

Mine's been glued to the bench, encapsulated in epoxy the shape of a mixing cup, etc... more times than I can count. lol You can get the cured finish off with a razor blade. I do have extra mixing rods in stock in case anyone needs an "extra". I never seem to notice that I've left the rod in the last batch of epoxy until I've squirted 6cc's of finish into a fresh cup, so I keep an extra rod under the bench now.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: August 17, 2007 04:01PM

good luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2007 06:36PM by Steven Libby.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 05:30PM

I use a 2oz Ecko measuring spoon as my cup. I pour out the mixed epoxy onto aluminum foil and leave the ball bearing in the cup. Then I fill the cup with Isopropyl Alcohol and let it soak while applying the finish. When done I wipe out the cup and complete cleaning it and the bearing. It just takes a minute. I haven't forgotten yet ... but that remains a possibility.

Dave

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.natsoe.res.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2007 05:38PM

Billy,
After the epoxy is done mixing I use a pocket screw driver with a small magnet in the end to remove the ball bearing from the epoxy. I let the epoxy drip once then put the ball bearing in a mixing cup with a little alcohol then put the cup back on the mixer and let the mixer run for a few minutes. Then remove the ball bearing with the pocket screw driver magnet. I have a magnet mounted on the mixer to put the ball bearing when they are not being used.
Hope this help if you have any question let me know.

Lynn

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 06:15PM

Billy; I put two pictures on the photo page.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 06:24PM

Looks like a solid crack pipe, lol [www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

That ls a pretty fancy set up you got there. I'm a little disappointed there is no dragon weave on teh outside of the cup though.

I knew when my thing got epoxied to the bench last night, I wasn't the only one. I like the magnet thingy, but that's one more thing for me to lose or misplace. I'm kind of shocked none of you cheap-o's rig up your application spatula as the mixer so there is no waste, lol. THAt's wha tI was goign to try....but I don't use a Spatula (sorry Mark).

I still find it easier to mix by frothing, as I don't have to wait and figure out something to do for 5 minutes while the motor is mixin gfor me. I'm all for multi-tasking, but applying finish is always the last step before I go to bed, and I went into a nervous fooleg shaking rage waiting for the epoxy to get mixed, lol.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 06:57PM

>> nervous foot-leg shaking rage

Just tape the mixing cup to your leg and you won't need a rod or ball!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 07:08PM

Why couldn't you use something like a couple "BB's" ? The ones you buy by the 10,000 with the copper coating for BB guns. Use several each time and throw everything away?

I still mix by hand, it's a tough job :-)

DR

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 07:20PM

I have nunerous marble size ball bearings ...I put one into the mixing cup..when mixed I use a small handled magnet to remove the ball bearing...drop the ball bearing into a pint container filled part way with alcohol, put the lid on ..wipe off the magnet with a napkin ....make a drink for myself and sit back. [maybe you can swipe some marbles from the neighbor kid to do the job and just throw every thing away after using the finish] ....not the drink you made for yourself !!!

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2007 07:25PM by fred schoenduby.

Date: August 17, 2007 07:59PM

JAmes, yo uknow I appreciate stuff like that, lmao!! DR, I honeslty though tthat's what everyone was using, so I never really bothered as I dont' have a clue about BB's or guns. And Fred...you are defiantely dating ourself posting taht your neighbors kids play with Marbles. WhenI WAS A KID 20 years ago I was making fun of people still playing with marbles. lol.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 08:21PM

Yo Billy....I lost my marbles years ago...around here you can buy large bags of them at the dollar stores...if you were a kid 20 years ago and making fun of people playing marbles then you must be one of the reasons we can't get them for mixing our finish...aahhhh it must be nice being that young...keep "flowing" Billy and never get old, because then it will be just memories...???are we spelling "marbels/marbles right???

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Date: August 17, 2007 08:37PM

"you must be one of the reasons we can't get them for mixing our finish.."

lol!! another great line. NOw that you mention it, I remember seein gmarbles in a $1 store, in a mesh black bag. THAt might work better for me since I like using a shot glass with smooth edges rather than teh plastic mixing cup.

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.natsoe.res.rr.com)
Date: August 17, 2007 10:15PM

Billy said, (I'm kind of shocked none of you cheap-o's rig up your application spatula as the mixer so there is no waste).
Well here it is,

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Lynn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2007 06:56AM by Lynn Williams.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 17, 2007 10:38PM

Now, That's Ingenious!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 18, 2007 06:04AM

Lynn, That is downright unfair!
Dave

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 18, 2007 09:13AM

I just use tweezers to lift out the mixing ball and drop it onto a paper towel doused with alcohol. One wipe and it's ready for the next use.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster