I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What RTV means,
Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 17, 2007 02:03PM

As I was reading the latest issue of RodBuilder I ran across a question that really didn't get completely. I had to do with what RTV ment.

It stands for "Room Temprature Vulcanizing. Simply stated - it sets up by absorbing moisture from the air until fully cured.

This is also the reason that when smoothing out you want to use alcohal on your finger to smooth out not just wet your finger with spit as this causes a film to appear on the surface and slows the curing time and can even stop the curing process!

d

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What RTV means,
Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 02:48PM

Used a lot for instant gaskets. You can also make molds for pouring metals out of it. Usually silicone based, so avoid contaminating things. And it can react with, and discolor, some things in curing as the cure can create acetic acid (vinegar I believe)... which you can sorta smell when it is setting too.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 03:14PM

yeah i use a lot when modding my truck and just about anything else i need to make a gasket for

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.dc1.textron.com)
Date: August 17, 2007 03:43PM

Return To Vendor (RTV)

Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 08:10PM

I use it to make my worm molds and you can use it to mold low temp lead. It's a 2 part rubber compoud for reproducing just about anything you want to reproduce, but most anglers use it for make plastic worms.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 17, 2007 09:51PM

Used to use a lot of it in my former life. The red RTV is extremely high heat resistant. Used it for repairing boiler door gaskets with a fire in the boiler. These were neg. pressure boilers. So the red color will take the heat.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 17, 2007 11:03PM

There is a green high temp as well that I know jewelers use. I had a very old ornate silver belt, est. ca 1500-1600, that I took to a jeweler to have modified. Jeweler was so enamoured of it that he made molds of the links to make his own. Was green, not red. Molten silver didn't cause it any problems at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster