I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Engraved Abel .5 reel
Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 05:34PM

I just added a pic of an Abel .5 reel I engraved for a customer. I put in the misc. gallery because it didn't seem to fit anywhere else.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Ray

Ray Cover
My Projects Blog
[raycover.blogspot.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Engraved Abel .5 reel
Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 05:56PM

Ray; Your work is truly a joy.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2007 05:58PM

Nice
Also liked your shop. Thought I had a lot invested

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.158.221.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 06:00PM

Ray :

WOW !!!! I WANT ONE !!!

Tight Lines
Bill

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 06:03PM

that is just truely beautiful work. i am blown away.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 06:36PM

I actually saw this from your posting on the engraving forum last week and was blown away by it then as well [www.engravingforum.com]. As most of the engraving guys seemed more familiar with knives and such, I liked how you let them know otherwise when you said "...There is more to building a rod than you see at first glance...".

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 06:46PM

..its almost disgustingly cool.

Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 07:44PM

Thanks folks!

Steve,

I do have quite a lot invested. I should soon have the bank paid off though. :-)

Most of what you see on the website is the engraving studio and the engraving school classroom. The machine shop is out in out in the garage. I don't put pics of that room on the web because it is usually a filthy mess. I tend to be one of those guys that only cleans off the lathe every four or five projects.

Once it cools down a bit outside I will finish cleaning up out there for the next rod hardware run. I tend to make hardware in three or four rod batches. It just seems more efficient that way.

I may take step by step pics of this next batch. I am thinking about putting together a step by step article on building your own reel seats from scratch and see if any of the magazines would be interested in publishing it.

Ray

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 10:04PM

rodmaker! i would love to see that! im very interested in how you do that stuff it looks great

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster