I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Grip Construction Technique
Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-79.myvzw.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 12:43PM

Hey guys,

I just posted some pics in the grip/handle photo gallery of some new grips we'll be offering this fall. It's a special layup utilizing Carbon Fiber, FiberGlass or Kevlar (or a combination thereof) over a unique core material that not only allows the composite to conform to compound shapes and curves, but actually can lighten the grip up to 30% over standard cork grips. Additionally it is much more durable than cork as well. I have actually been working on this technique off and on since 2003, but finally perfected it last year, and am very excited about it.

FYI, This is not just a surface treatment over a cork core or balsa core.....nor is it a hollow texalium (aluminized fiberglass) or carbon fiber tube.....it's very different from those layups. Plus it looks cool as heck and is very comfortable and functional.

I'll also be authoring a How To Article in RodMaker at a later date detailing the technique for the do-it-yourselfer. Additionally were planning on adding an instructional DVD detailing the technique as well.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Grip Construction Technique
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: August 13, 2007 01:00PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2007 02:52PM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2007 02:16PM

That sounds very interesting. How expensive is it going to be? What is the elasticity of the material like or how will it be for sensitivity?

Posted by: Kyle Olsen (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2007 02:58PM

How's the texture on those things? My main gripe about the carbon fiber/texalium grips is that they feel slick, and have no "give" to them like cork or eva does. Well, and the fact that they cost twice as much as cork!

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-196-179.myvzw.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 03:05PM

Hi Emory,
I Don't know yet about the sensitivity, so I won't make any claims on that subject, but it is lighter than cork, even the fiberglass/carbon blend is lighter than cork. I know a few guys who have applied similiar surface treatments to cork, but to me all that does is make the cork less efficient than it already is. Cork is a really good material for rod grips, but adding an outer skin w/epoxy just makes it less efficient IMO. My goal in developing this was to make something that was better and more efficient than what's out there, not make what's out there less efficient. The core material were using has a TON of potential as a platform for other products, As far as the cost goes, the price of the grips will be very reasonable and affordable. Were also looking at putting together some kits for the do-it yourselfer.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-70-196-179.myvzw.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 03:08PM

You can leave them "textured" from the weave of the material OR you can build up a finish to make it smooth....I am with you, I prefer the texture. The additional coating adds weight, but not thta much. Ideally you're looking for a 60/40 or 50/50 ratio of resin to material, but to get that accurate requires a more refined process lik vacum bagging, SCRIMP or other more controlled means of manufacture.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 13, 2007 04:40PM

wow that grips looks sweet! i want to try one of those out

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: August 13, 2007 04:43PM

When and where can they be purchased Andy? What sizes? Lengths? .....fill us in :-)

DR

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 04:44PM

Andy, love the look - beautiful.

What's the diameter of the material and what is the weight per 10 inch? (Or 1 inch?)

I'm interested in the "30% lighter than cork" part because Cork is much lighter than any synthetic stuff I've tried. So your material must be a lot lighter than other synthetic handle material such as carbon tubes or texalium.

Thanks,
Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2007 04:44PM by Mo Yang.

Posted by: Andy Dear (---.sub-66-174-93.myvzw.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 04:52PM

Mo,
Are you aware of what Texalium actually is? It's Fiberglass with an aluminum coating...aluminized fiberglass....very heavy. My material with a Kevlar or Kevlar/Carbon blend is much lighter than cork. I'll post numbers as they become available.

Andy Dear
Lamar Fishing

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: August 13, 2007 05:01PM

If I shoot a bullet at teh grip, will the the Kevlar stop the bullet from going through? I have an idea for a grip utilizing bullets.

lol.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 13, 2007 05:14PM

maybe it will protect you if someone shoots at you? haha

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: August 13, 2007 05:59PM

Andy,
Neither carbon fiber or Kevlar including the resin is lighter than cork. In fact they are much more dense and weigh much more than cork. I understood that the carbon/Kevlar fibers were just on the surface and some other very low density material was between the blank and a thin layer of the carbon/Kevlar fibers. If that is the case then my question is, what is the elasticity of this in between material? If it is a material that is highly elastic as well as being low density then your grip material may have higher sensitivity than cork. But if the material has low density but also has low elasticity then it is not going to be as sensitive as cork.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 01:19AM

Billy... look at 20mm casings, Grip and/or butt. I was contemplating it for fun awhile back when cleaning the garage and found a few I stashed in a box.
Pretty much you can find cases in every conceivable size, but 20mm's are easy to source.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: August 14, 2007 01:21AM

Andy - I'm assuming the workability of this stuff is suitable for our needs, so wee can shape it as required.

So, OK, how do we get it?

Uncle russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 14, 2007 01:30AM

Andy,

Yes, aware that Texalium is fiberglass. However, I think Lamiglas also OEM graphite tubes for others including sponsors here. The graphite tubes are also much heavier than cork. With cork, I just ream exactly as the blank would dictate and never use any arbors so it's 100% cork on my handles. That's why it's so light.

Looking forward to your stats and would love to try some.

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: August 15, 2007 03:06PM

I like the look. I assume different colors would be available? I'd love to see this on split grips... really losing weight then.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster