I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

SURVEY: Tip Breakage Position
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2007 01:25AM

Greetings all, I'm working on a little theory about tip breakage and need date from the field.....meaning you guys. :) This applies to either rod you sold and came back or rods you used.

To narrow the fied, here are the criteria:

1. For freshwater rods only. Nothing heavy.
2. I'm looking for stats of tip breakage NOT caused by physical accidents such as door slamming on the tip, jamming it into the ceiling etc. This is important.
3. ANY kind of breakage from use is OK whether fighting a fish or high sticking it. I'm particularly interested in high sticking breakage.

This is my question. I'd like to know where the break occurred from use.
1. Between tip and 1st guides.
2. Between 2nd and 3rd guides.
3. Between 3rd and 4th guides.
4. Between 4th and 5th guides
Beyond that, I don't think that's tip breakage.

You can list how many broke between which guides. I'm hoping the survey will generate enough numbers to confirm or deny my hunch.

Thanks in advance for your comment.

Thanks.
Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2007 01:27AM by Mo Yang.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: SURVEY: Tip Breakage Position
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 11, 2007 01:40AM

I broke 2 FW 120-25# blanks high sticking. One I was stuck in teh bottom and I went to bounce and the rod broke 2 feet from the tip (7' rod, 12" butt grip). Right after the first 10 guide. Socond rod I broke 2 weeks ago when I tried swinging a 5# fish over th rail, hit the rail and gave the rod a little extra oomph, and it broke. 2 feet from teh tip right after teh first 180 guide, almost exactly teh same place as my other rod.

I had a riend break a rod settign teh hook, rod was WAY overloaded. Broe 18" from teh tip on a 7' rod, faster action than th eother 2 which were more parabolic/moderate action.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 11, 2007 08:24AM

1- broke before first guide high sticking
3-between 1and 2 guides hook sets
1 between 3 and 4 - hit the rod with another rod during hook set picked it up shortly after and it broke on the casr at impact point
1- between between last guide and handle pulling fish through grass. ( over taxed rod was using braid)
1-broke at first guide when unhooking bait from hook keeper the very first time I went to use it. Was showing friend how easy it broke and it broke again at second guide. (defective blank or wrapped to tight, as I did not personally wrap this rod, I'm not sure which)

Mo;
these are rods are ones that I have personally borken can't speek for clients

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/11/2007 09:26AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: August 11, 2007 08:57AM

Mo, most of the rods I get in were "broken before they broke them". It happens in the rod compartments as they're beating down the lake with weights left on all their rods. They break all over ; no rhyme or reason to where, but it's always "when I set the hook on a minnow, it just broke".

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Kip Robinson (---.hlna.qwest.net)
Date: August 11, 2007 10:27AM

mo,
Only broke one so far. Winston BIIx 4wt broke at the first guide above the tip ferrule right at the upper foot of the snake guide. Friend broke it...high sticking a whitefish. Kip

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.255.42.197.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: August 11, 2007 12:03PM

Hi Mo,

Three breaks in forty years or so of building rods. Only one fits your criteria. A one I built a year ago came back with the tip broken less than a half inch from the tip top. This customer is an old curmudgeon who insists on using an automatic fly reel and attaching a large brass swivel at the end of his fly line and then attaches the leader to the swivel. You don't need much imagination to know how this break occurred which I verified with a magnifying glass. He insisted he was fighting a 12 inch trout.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 02:18AM

Thanks to all. Would love and appreciate more datapoints. Anyone else? There's been well over 200 views so far....surely more tip breakages?

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 12, 2007 11:40AM

Mo, I would have to say that 99% of the 1pc rods I get for repair are broken from 1" to 3" behind the tip. Why ,I cant tell you,I dont get the story. On 2pc rods Its always the top half thats ges broken mostly behind the first guide after the feurrell. If a rod comes in broken near the butt, I would say Its been stepped on. I hope thi helps. Dennis

Posted by: Mark Ganrude (---.odec.com)
Date: August 14, 2007 01:37PM

Dennis, just a guess on my part but at 1-3" from the tip I'm betting most are of the pysical accidents that fall in category 2 of the original post- and that's partly why your not getting the story. Too embarrassed to admit they slammed the trunk, car door, what have you on it.

The only one I broke myself (fighitng a fish) I broke about a foot from the tip, trying to lift a small (3 lb) striper over the rail with too light a rod for the task.

My kids have returned a coupleof borrowed rods to me with the tips broke off- written off to carelessness (no 2 category) - as I know I would have heard about it if it had happened fighting a fish.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 14, 2007 01:43PM

Almost all my broken rods are highsticking injuries. Between tip and first guide OR between first and second guide. Occasionally, I get an overlined rod - broken closer to the butt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster