I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fixing an oversized Batson exposed blank reelseat.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 04:16PM

Batson told me I needed an 11.5mm ID exposed blank reelseat for a 10" rear grip on their IP903F. I realize there are variences in components and my particular blank measres 11.1mm and it slides down the blank leaving only 8" remaining with a snug fit. Can I put a thin coat of Threadmaster on the blank (including where the blank will show through) to make up the difference or should I just order another seat at 11mm? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fixing an oversized Batson exposed blank reelseat.
Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 04:52PM

I would order another and carefully ream to fit. I've tried building up the area to close the gap with thread and/or epoxy, but have never been satisfied so I dont bother anymore. Like guides and tip tops, everytime I bought what I think I need I also found myself buying a few sizes +/- from that until I built up a small inventory to fall back on when these events occur. So far I've been pretty lucky with very little wasting/unecessary inventory.

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 06:09PM

Tim...If per chance you have not damaged your reel seat in anyway I am sure you will be able to exchange it for a smaller size{especially if you used one of the suppliers on the left.} The filling in of a too large exposed reel seat will leave you wondering why you ever did it.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 07:07PM

Tim,
I've had this happen a time or two, I wrapped thread on the blank in the colors used on the wraps and than put on finish than reamed the reelseat carefully to the new size. I've had some positive comments on my mistakes using this save.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.244.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 11, 2007 01:13AM

With that little difference, thread is going to be too thick. If you are going for perfection, which it looks like you are (and good on ya), I would look at Fred's suggestion of an exchange, or Steven's and just re-order the smaller one and do some fitting.

If you go with Steven's and don't want to keep the reelseat you have, shoot me an email. I'll buy it off you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster