I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

best brush for finishes
Posted by: Mark Ganrude (---.odec.com)
Date: August 10, 2007 09:40AM

What's everyones favored type of brush for finishes. I used the flex coat disposables for awhile, then tried some camel hair brushes I picked up at a Micheal's craft store. I was a bit horrified when the hairs from the brush fell out and stuck to the rod blank, I mangaed to pick most of the hairs out of the finish, but some just wanted to slide all over. Cleaned up the mess and will start over, but would like to know if there is a preferred type of brush for working with finishes.

I am currently using the threadmaster finishes, and like them very much.

Thanks,

Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best brush for finishes
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2007 10:02AM

I use Robert Simmons sapphire brushes and Loew-Cornell brushes. Both come from Michael’s. Been using same brushes 8 or 9 months now with no problems or loose hairs.

I have not had to do it to thesebrushes, but something you can do is to hold brush vertical with hairs up run small bead of supper glue along base were hairs go into metal frame. It will lock hairs into brush and should cure your problem.

Date: August 10, 2007 10:28AM

Steve,

thanks for the reply. Are you using natural hair brushes or synthetics?

What about clean up? I'm using the flex coat epoxy brush cleaner, thought maybe that was causing loose hairs, but the brush I used last night was brand new- straight from the package. Guess I'll have to inspect all brushes very closely before dipping them in finish from now on.

BTW- I'll have to check but believe the brush I used was one from Loew-Cornell.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 10, 2007 10:41AM

Straight, not round. Ox hair. $2 each from Duro-Art in Chicago. 1/4 to 1/2 inch depending on the length of the wraps I'm finishing. Many hobby shops carry these, along with some older hardware stores.

A softer brush is better, in my opinion. But, I do not use the brush to "brush" the finish on. I only use it by loading it with finish, lowering it to the wrap, and making one or perhaps two revolutions of the rod below it. "Brushing" tends to create bubbles and isn't really necessary.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 11:20AM

Yes, 1/4 inch flat brushes w/ natural bristles. I just briefly clean my brush with denatured alcohol and then it soaks in a bottle of denatured alcohol. I use a empty gudebrod color preserver bottle with a portion of the tip cut so that the stem of the brush will fit into it. Then the cap along with the brush goes into the bottle filled with denatured alcohol. Change out the alcohol once in a while ( after 20 or so uses) to keep it fresh. Been using the same brush for years.

Date: August 10, 2007 11:32AM

Thanks all. I appreciate the replies. Tom I will give the Ox hair brushes a try. While I don't normally "brush" the finish on - this was a case of laying down a base coat of epoxy for a marbelizing job along a 12" section of the blank- and was basically using the brush to spread (level) the finish out with lengthwise strokes,and because I had added black paint pigments to the epoxy, I didn't realize the hairs were coming off the brush at first.

Live and learn.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 01:06PM

do you all use the same kind of brush to apply your CP as you do your finish?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2007 02:40PM

I use both and clean up with denatured alcohol then wash them with dawn dish soap just to make sure there is no oily residue wipe dry with papper towl and make sure not fibers from towel left behind.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 10, 2007 03:57PM

I use the Wallyworld nylon craft brushes for both finish and CP( you can get about 20 of them for a couple of bucks). Two different brushes of course. Clean up the finish brush with alcohol and the CP brush with water. Store them for the next use. If they get to looking bad, cut the brush off and use the handle for mixing. No problems.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.244.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: August 11, 2007 12:55AM

I generally use either a spatula (actually the "spoon" end of a crab fork) or cheapo nylon brushes I get at a local hobby shop at $4 for 144.

Really though, it just doesn't matter. What you use to apply finish is irrelevant. How you apply the finish is what counts. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: August 11, 2007 11:46PM

Mark,

Scott Throop, of Tiger Wrap Fame, only uses inexpensive brushes which he modifies. I have personally seen his rods and the finish is absolutely perfection. Check out his brush modification at this link:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Rena ( Do they sell pink Brushes)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster