I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which rod wrapper/lathe?
Posted by: Rick Hollenkamp (---.polycom.com)
Date: August 09, 2007 03:46PM

Ready to purchase a rod wrapper but not sure which one to invest in?

Comparing the various types listed below at numerous websites I am unable to glean enough information as to why one would choose a particular model over the other. Is the Renzetti a Mercedes compared to the American tackle Honda? Do you need something that hold 8 spools of thread?

Don't want to purchase a cheaper model and then be kicking myself for not having purchased the Mercedes. Money is not the concern, justification is. Can someone clarify the advantages vs. disadvantages?

Than you - Rick

Renzetti - $750 - 2 rod supports, 8 thread spools, rolling carriage.
PacBay RW3-XL - $369 - 3 rod supports, 2 thread spools, built in rod dryer, sererate rod dryer.
Flevcoat DL747 - 389 - 4 rod supports, looks like 4 thred spool
American tackle - $268 - 3 rod supports, 3 thread spools.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which rod wrapper/lathe?
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 09, 2007 03:55PM

My choice, but only if you go with the upgraded all metal chuck

PacBay RW3-XL - $369 - 3 rod supports, 2 thread spools, built in rod dryer, sererate rod dryer.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 05:04PM

I agree with Steve on this. I also added another support to my Pac Bay for longer rods.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 05:14PM

Rick,

Just an FYI, but we've got the RW3-XL for $329.00 with free shipping on our "RodBuilding.org" specials page. This page isn't linked anywhere on the site and i only accessible here ---> []

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: August 09, 2007 05:56PM

Mark,
How about the additional dryer?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 09, 2007 06:59PM

Rick,

How soon do you plan to buy? All of them are on display at the ICRBE in February. This gives you the opportunity to sit down and actually try each one in person. But, you may be ready to get one right now, and if that's the case, then I can understand this doesn't help.

The Renzetti and the Custom Power Wrap (Angler's Workshop) are truly high quality machines that you would be delighted with. The machines sold by Batson Enterprises, American Tackle, Pacific Bay and Flex Coat are also good machines and represent tremendous values in their own right.

Do a search on the archives here for more information on the various units. They're all good, it's really a matter of how much do you need and how much are you willing to spend.

Posted by: Justin Robbins (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 09:44PM

Will the wrapper be for sale at the ICRBE in February? Will they also be at discounted rates???....I am too looking at investing in a power wrapper!

Thanks

Justin

Posted by: Robert Tignor (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 09:52PM

DL 747 , call me I will tell you why , and a deal you cant turn down

Robert

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 10:07PM

Rick,

I have two Renzettis. One for wrapping and one for turning cork handels. They are good quality lathes. When I got interested in this stuff I was thinking like you," Why waste my money on something that I might upgrade in a year or two. So I bought the Renzettis. I have been very happy with them. I got a few accessories along with the lathes. One was the laser sight, Bought it, tried it, don't need it. Can do better with my eye balls. Sorry, the laser sight is for aligning guides on the rod. The other thing that I bought that I wished I hadn't was the other Renzetti that I use to turn cork handles. Don't get me wrong it's a good tool but I found out that I like turning so much that I bought a bigger wood lathe because the Ren. lathe is limited. But I guess it's no big deal. I'm going to use the motor for putting finish on. Always wanted a high sppeed finish lathe. Get a couple of extra rod supports and several more sections of bed and you will be set. Sorry I can't tell you about the other rod lathes that were mentioned. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: August 09, 2007 10:50PM

Terry-

The one with the most toys wins ;)

Jeffrey

Posted by: Terry Morrell (---.dsl.wchtks.sbcglobal.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 01:00AM

Jeffery-

Toys have always been my weakness.

Terry

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 01:38AM

Rich,

Your email is hidden. Send me mail. Got the dryer deal goin' on too...

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2007 04:07AM

Justen; I bought mine at the show at a really good price

Date: August 10, 2007 08:53AM

Justin,

As Mark and Robert have mentioned, they have good deals on wrappers right now, if you're ready to buy.

Yes, nearly everything at the ICRBE can be had at a heck of a deal. It's the one time during the year when companies slash prices, throw in extras, etc. February is just right around the bend, but if you've got work to do now, I'd check with one of the sponsors that chimed in here and see what they can do for you right now.

Date: August 10, 2007 10:11AM

Thank you to everyone for the posts. Didn't really get a solid answer, after I posted and thought about it I didn't think I would. After all there are probably very few who have tried a wide variety of these and most newby's like me probaly went through the same delema.

Tried to ask Renzetti the question about the show discount two weeks ago. Got a reply "we are out and will be back on the 6th" haven't heard anything since. When you want to build something (Christmas presents) February is a long way away.

Date: August 10, 2007 10:38AM

I'm not sure anybody can really answer your question other than what's been offered here. If you want to know which is the best, well... what's best for one isn't best for another. You can find good reviews from a lot of folks on every one of these machines.

All the machines are good machines and all will do power wraps with great ease (you still need to practice). The Renzetti and Custom Power Wrap have additional accessories that allow them to perform a few more tasks than the others, but you may not plan to get involved in those type things. I can't answer for you.

In years past, the Renzetti has been offered at the show with one additional rod support for free, or with free shipping. I cannot say what they might do this year. The other machines have been offered at reduced prices and sometimes with a complete dryer at no additional expense. You'll just have to shop around a bit.

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 12, 2007 12:45PM

Rick, Istill have a ROD SMITH that I bought in the 80's(its the same thing as the Pac-Bay and AMTEK models). Its been upgraded since then with a new chuck,rod stands,motor, and pully. Its as good as new. this is my back up. Yes, you can wrap guides with it !
I also have a Renzitte with all the extras escept for the lasor sight. I dont turn wood, but I do alot of "cork on the blank "handles and this thing is the ticket if your looking for an "all in one" machine. I only wish they offered a larger opening chuck, 90% of my work is salt water rods. I also wish they would make a way to drill out rings like they do in a production shop . Instead of having to wind in the boreing bitt,you just slide it into the work and have a 1 1/4" friction holding chuck for the cork rings. Also the thread carriage should have formed metal rollers instead of UHMW covers over bearings. To this day my carriage sags because the covers slip on the bearings. Other then that its great.If they would come up with a cork boreing jig I would consider it.
If money is not the problem go with Renzitte. Thanks, Dennis

Posted by: Dan Hogan (---.direcpc.com)
Date: August 13, 2007 09:29AM

I bought a Renzetti because for once I wanted to buy the best. Very happy with it

Dan Hogan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster