I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dots on a blank......Spine?
Posted by: Craig Broadbooks (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2007 09:18PM

Hi All,

I recently purchased a Sage 890-4 blank. It came with white dots on each end of each section, which I assume should lined up when joining the sections.

I don't believe that these dots have anything to do with the spine of the rod, rather the relative position of each section to its adjacent section.

My question to all of you is, can I assume that if I put the rod together with those dots lined up, the spine will be consistant throughout the rod? Otherwise, I suppose I would have to find the spine of each section.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks
Craig

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dots on a blank......Spine?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 08, 2007 09:25PM

You needn't worry about the spine, it really doesn't have any effect on the rod under practical fishing situations.

Sage marks the straightest axis by use of those dots, which is what they build on, instead of the spine.

Posted by: Ed Sabatini (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: August 08, 2007 10:01PM

Build the handle on the butt section dots. Tape up the guides on the tip section on the spine and then on the dot. Try it both ways, I think you'll like the dot!

Sage has a great reputation worldwide. They're not custom builders but they do produce a fine product. Trust them to know what they're doing in regard to rod set up. Trust those dots!

Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.cg.shawcable.net)
Date: August 08, 2007 10:26PM

The dots are great. It also lines you up with the SAGE logo in the correct place. Just remeber to scratch the dots off before wrapping and epoxy! The dots will show through after epoxy is applied!

Calvin

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: August 09, 2007 05:52AM

I have found that most blanks with factory applied dots or line marks at the ferrules represent the spine.

In you case, it would be easy to see,, put the rod together and put pressure on it. That will tell you where the dots are or what they represent. Or call Sage and ask customer service and get the infor straight from the horse's mouth,,, so to speak.

Date: August 09, 2007 08:02AM

Sage is going to tell you that the dots represent the straightest axis. This has been their standard practice for many, many years now.

By all means call them if you wish, but they are going to tell you that they build on the straightest axis of the blank. They disregard the spine.

Posted by: Craig Broadbooks (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2007 02:25PM

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Just for the learning experience, I will test the dot location and try the guides on the dot and on the spine(if they differ). Sounds like I will end up using the dots, but it will be a good exercise for me.

Thanks,
Craig

Date: August 10, 2007 10:35PM

You don't have to do what they do - the rod is going to work regardless. Try it both ways and see which you prefer.

Posted by: Ken Driedger (---.bchsia.telus.net)
Date: August 12, 2007 11:56PM

Ye olde spine bugaboo. Years ago, one of the few reference books available at the time (Fiberglass Rod Making, Don McClain), made no mention of the "S" word. All he did was eyeball down the blank, and put the guides along the "belly" of the blank.
Which just happened to be the straightest axis.
'when I ordered my blanks (Fenwick, and Lamiglas), all I had to tell the supplier was: that any 'dog leg' blank would be refused, but "bellies"
were OK. Glass or graphite.
In the beginning, all I seemed to get was dog-leg blanks ! Great training for guide alignment tactics.
Anyone who's not yet read the above book, can pick up as used copy for about 6.00 USD, plus postage, using bookfinder dot com's search engine. [www.bookfinder.com]
It's actually a great little read, showing how he approached rodmaking back in the day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster