I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Homemade decals?
Posted by: John Straus (204.136.26.---)
Date: August 08, 2007 03:45PM

Does anyone know of a company that makes homemade decal kits or inkjet paper that allows you to display a logo on your rod?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Homemade decals?
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2007 03:48PM

Decal Connection for all your decal needs see sponsor list to left
John

Posted by: Rick Hollenkamp (---.polycom.com)
Date: August 08, 2007 04:11PM

@#$%& also has waterslide decal kits available - sponsor list
Rick

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 08, 2007 04:45PM

I know some builders say they are successful with them but I have yet to find a printer or ink (other than ALPS, which is a different story) that will make decals that last more than a very short time outside before fading VERY badly. I would strongly suggest printing some test ones and putting them outside to test BEFORE putting on a rod

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Straus (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 08, 2007 05:00PM

What would you say the best way of putting a custom logo on your rod then, I have terrible handwriting and would like to put my father's name on a rod.

Date: August 08, 2007 05:10PM

You can have Decal Connection make up your logo' by the sheet very inexpensively. Depending on the size, you can get from 50 tto 80 per sheet. The cost of a full sheet is under $35 for metallic gold or silver. I get a sheet in gold and a sheet in silver, with 1/2 small & 1/2 large on each sheet

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: August 08, 2007 06:13PM

I have had some luck using the Brother P-Touch label maker. The label lettering is not as crisp as the Alps but for the price you can't beat it. I'm pretty sure the ink doesn't fade, my wife uses them for labeling her flower garden. Several have been outside for 2 years with out fading. The only inconvenience is that you have to seal the edges with finger nail polish before you apply epoxy or else the top and bottom laminations will separate. Just another option.

Posted by: Brad Young (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: August 08, 2007 06:25PM

I have a friend that makes signs out of vinyl. I have had him make my logo out of this. You just apply to blank and put finish over it. Not sure if you can us PG because it might melt the vinyl. Very cost effective. I would go to a sign shop and have them design and cut one out.

Madfish Rods

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 08, 2007 06:58PM

wow mike its that cheap??? i thought it was like 5 or 6 bucks per decal im going to have to order some (even though i dont sell my rods i like to put a name on them so when people ask i be like "they are very rare and a limited collection" haha)

Date: August 08, 2007 07:14PM

Jon,

Individual decals are under $5 and full sheets of the same image are under $35. It's the same whether it's a graphic, text or combination. Check out their site and give them a call

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: August 08, 2007 09:11PM

Testor's Company (the folks who make model paint) make a decal kit that can be used with virtually any ink-jet printer. Decal media are available in white or clear. Fixatif is included.

It works.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: chuck brown (---.sip.bna.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 08, 2007 11:36PM

John,
We have inkjet decal paper you can use if you want to design your own. We can also make your signature a font so you can "sign" every rod. Let us know if we can help. The options are endless.

Chuck

Posted by: Gary Colling (---.fibrewired.on.ca)
Date: August 09, 2007 11:35AM

You can also use dry transfer lettering, from Letraset for example. I have done a few in their fancy gold and silver fonts that look very good. Put them over you first coat of epoxy and then cover with 2nd coat of epoxy. Makes the letters look slighly suspended.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster