I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Motor Polarity Question
Posted by: Justin Robbins (---.sip.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 08, 2007 12:57PM

I have a sewing machine motor that I am trying to build a power wrapper with. One problem... If the motor is mounted on the left hand side of the wrapper, it turns counter clockwise. Is there anyway I can reverse the polarity and make it turn clockwise? I have already done a search, to see if this was posted before, with no luck.

Thanks in advance,
Justin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Motor Polarity Question
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 08, 2007 01:16PM

If your using the o ring style belt, just figure 8 the belt to go the other way.

Posted by: RON NIX (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: August 08, 2007 01:32PM

First, is it an AC motor or DC motor? Usually you can reverse the polarity on a DC to change the direction of rotation. An AC motor is a whole different animal...

RON.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 08, 2007 01:54PM

turn it around instead of facing left make it face right

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: August 08, 2007 02:21PM

Think "OUT SIDE OF THE BOX" . Good advise above.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 08, 2007 03:40PM

I believe these guys are showing off !! (pun intended) Good advise Jon, Ron and Spencer. ( I wouldn't have thought of the figure 8 belt ) ''OUTSIDE THE BOX " is correct !!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2007 03:41PM by Jay Hunt.

Posted by: Justin Robbins (---.sip.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 08, 2007 03:53PM

AC motor. IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN REVERSE THE POLARITY AND MAKE IT TURN CLOCKWISE????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2007 03:54PM by Justin Robbins.

Posted by: Ed Wong (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: August 08, 2007 04:45PM

Justin,

Yes there is.

w3.uwyo.edu/~metal/motors1.html

It involves rewiring the motor internally, so be sure you know what you are doing. i.e. can be dangerous!

Ed

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: August 08, 2007 04:46PM

Justin,

Home Sewing Machine Motors are always AC/DC because speed Control of AC motors is extremely complicated and very expensive. Home Sewing Machine Foot Pedals will only work with AC/DC (or DC only ) motors.

Send me a picture of the motor via E-mail and I will tell you how to reverse it.

My Dad is a Electrical Engineer who specializes in motors and control. He has written a 10-12 page Do-it Yourself Article, Titled: "Rod Building Motors & Control 101" and is making arrangements to publish it on the web in the near future.

Rena (I wish I had a Pink Sewing Machine)

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.39.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 08, 2007 07:18PM

I used to have this problem until my old motor died. I learned to wrap lefty for a while, which was awkward, but now I am back to right. If A/C motor which I will assume it is. simply reversing polarity at the outlet will do nothing.

In order to achieve what you are looking for, you will have to either change motors, rewire internally (do not attempt if you dont know what you are doing as stated above), or figure out some sort of belt/chain drive system on pulleys or wheels. This will allow you to alter speed and power as well. Small pulley to big means more torque with less speed. 1:1 ratio is probably best so nothing is modified in torque or speed.

Posted by: RON NIX (---.sttl.mdsg-pacwest.com)
Date: August 08, 2007 10:48PM

JUSTIN;

AN AC/DC MOTOR CAN BE REVERSED. I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT SEWING MACHINES, (NEVER USED ONE) BUT DO KNOW THEY ARE VARIABLE SPEED. THAT'S A WHOLE OTHER PROBLEM. DON'T TRY USING A DIMMER SWITCH TO CONTROL VOLTAGE TO YOUR MOTOR. RENA (ABOVE) SOUNDS LIKE YOUR BEST SOURCE RIGHT NOW... A PICTURE (OR DIAGRAM) OF THE WIRING CONFIGURATION ON THE BACK OF THE MOTOR, INCLUDING ANY CONNECTION LUGS, WOULD BE USEFUL ...

RENA: I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN YOUR DAD'S THOUGHTS REGARDING ROD BUILDING MOTORS. ANY CHANCE YOU COULD LET ME (US) KNOW WHEN AND WHERE HE PUBLISHES A PAPER...

SEAN, NOW YOU KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE BEING LEFT-HANDED IN A RIGHT HANDED WORLD... GIVES YOU A WHOLE NEW PERSPECTIVE...

RON.

Posted by: Justin Robbins (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: August 08, 2007 11:02PM

Thanks so much for the informative responses. I will get some pics up of it tomorrow. I know a SMALL bit about electricity/electrical, from science class and working in and around the photo industry. At least enough to feel confident enough to tackle this internally and not get HURT! Electricity Bites! Thanks again for everything,

Justin

Posted by: Bruce Wetzel (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: August 09, 2007 06:34AM

No need to mess around with the polarity......just flip the motor over "end for end" so the pully is on the other side and remount it.....problem solved!

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: August 10, 2007 12:41AM

Justin,

All AC/DC; Universal; and Series wound motors are reversible in direction of rotation.

Click on this link to see how to reverse the direction of rotation of any household sewing machine motor, or AC/DC rodbuilding motor:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Rena (Pink Rod Building motors are my favorite kind)

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.39.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 10, 2007 07:53AM

i wish i wouldve found that about a year ago instead of becoming lefty haha :)

that motor dying was a blessing anyways

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster