I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Graphics Orientation Survey
Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 06, 2007 10:05AM

Please post your general opinion. Decal Connection has purchased the company that makes the fish decals. I have tried to get this changed before to no avail. If there are enough that agree maybe it will influence a mirror image product.

1. I place decals and text on rods where it is readable or viewable when the butt of the rod is to the left.

2. All of the fish decals heads of the fish are to the right side.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

3. I think the fish are more appropriate and look better when depicted as being caught by the angler and not escaping or swimming free. This would require that the head of the fish was to the left.

Are there any that would like to see a mirror image of the fish available from suppliers? Dark Siders please reply with the direction of orientation preferred! Note: I can not do one weave per week and five a day is totally out of the question - I am forced to rely on Invisilines!

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Graphics Orientation Survey
Posted by: Russ Pollack (198.139.109.---)
Date: August 06, 2007 10:45AM

Please don't apologize for using the decals - they have a place in this game, and a number of customers really like them. We've also used the "Little Mermaid" one when requested.

We place them as requested. Most folks want them on top of the rod, but that's also where we write their names, which our "Calico Creek Rods" signature goes underneath. In those cases, the tail of the fish is usually oriented toward the reel seat.. If the name is on top of the rod, then we place the decal further up the rod than that.

When we do our logo/serial number on one side and the customer's name on the the other, the writing reads left-to-right with the butt held in the left hand, tip out to the right. This is generall the side where the name goes. On the other side (left side, looking down on the rod with the rod tip away from you) is our logo, written so that it reads left-to-right if the butt of the rod is in your right hand.

In these cases, we still usually place the decal on top, with the fish's tail oriented toward the butt, so that the fish is going in the same direction as the writing of the customer's name.

I hadn't thought of a mirror-image before, but it we did that, it'd be on both sides, further up than the name and logo.

Hope that helps - - -

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 06, 2007 11:04AM

I prefer the fish facing from left to right. That is the normal direction that the eye looks

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: August 06, 2007 11:08AM

I would normally position about anything like that so that the tail is nearer the butt and the head nearer the tip. But that's just me and what I tend to think looks good. The next guy may feel completely different.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: August 06, 2007 12:23PM

I think it looks better when the tail is near the butt and the head is facing the tip.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: August 06, 2007 12:36PM

I agree with Tom and Jim. Tail towards the grip flows with the rest of the rod better.

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.dot.state.wi.us)
Date: August 06, 2007 12:40PM

Sorry Bill, I have to agree with the majority - I think the left to right orientation is a more natural way for the eye to view the decal.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: August 06, 2007 01:55PM

Me too. I kinda like the idea of swimming free since I release almost everything anyway. Head towards the water fisheeeeee.

Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: August 06, 2007 02:24PM

Some people say that the smaller fish on the rod is actually inticing his "big brother" in the water to come and play.... I've tried it both ways but am now more inclined to have the little and the big fish facing each other.... ;-).

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2007 02:38PM

Here's my delema. being left handed if you reversed the current decal looking toward the handle then from a lefty's perspective its aready the way it should be.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 06, 2007 04:39PM

I place them fish tail toward the butt. To me it just flows better that way. And I'm right handed too.

Posted by: Dave Gilberg (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: August 06, 2007 06:16PM

Steve: Do you hold the rod by the tip? I'm lefty too and your explanation has leaves me scratching my (shiny smooth) head.

I like to see the fish facing the tip. The streamlined shape looks best following the path that the eye takes toward the tip when the rod is in hand. It also seems nicely balanced when viewed from the side.

I do, however like to occasionally orient BOLD letters (initials or a name) VERRTICALLY on the zero axis; reading from tip toward the butt. This way it is clearly read when the rod is standing or being fished. Block letters seem to work best in this set up. When I finally learn to weave I plan to do some vertical letters that was as well.

I am also curious about positioning the weave or decal letters on a bias.. or slight spiral. It just seems like a there are many variations worth exploring.

Dave

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2007 07:44PM

Dave;
Many left handed people hold rod with right hand and reel with left. Just as many right handed people hold rod in left and reel with right. Now if your hold rod with left hand towards left side of body fish looks fine, but if you hold rod with right hand towards right side of body fish looks upside down. Turn fish around facing butt he looks right side up.

Hope this clarifies what I was saying?

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2007 10:03PM

Tail back, head forward

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.39.100.97.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: August 06, 2007 10:47PM

Depends how I made the weave usually. In some cases I orient it nose to butt, others nose to tip, and in some odd cases I have even oriented the fish sideways.

Custom weaves make it nice to do whatever you want. :)

Natural feeling tells me left to right, and this also implies "fishy, come home with me."

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 06, 2007 10:51PM

Of course "action" scenes are a completley different story
and depends entirely on the action.

That latest YF Tuna that Doc posted looks awesome facing the
angler

Raymond Adams

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2007 10:53PM by Raymond_Adams.

Posted by: chuck brown (---.wan.networktel.net)
Date: August 07, 2007 01:58PM

Bill,
It really makes a difference which way you hold your rod. Jimi says turn the rod around. Ha Ha!

Chuck

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: August 07, 2007 05:31PM

Here is the reason for the question in the first place. All the available stickers "force" the builder to place the tail to the butt. After looking at so many of them this becomes the conventional positioning that people expect to see. I have noticed the Dark Siders on many occasions place their weaves where the head of the fish is toward the butt. Their skill gives them the option of placing the fish pointing in either direction. Using the stickers I do not have that option . I got a years seminar from listening to Mark Crouse a few minutes describe that sizing and placement in field of view of the entire view of text and graphics without rod rotation was quite important. It is kind like if the fish was looking at the butt the view could be saying "come to papa". Bass swiming free could cost someone a lot of cash!

Personal note to Jimi: Get my next order on the way, listen to Blue Grass, be carefull with teasing good customers or I will hit YOU with a $ 20 minimum art charge!

I guess thinking can be dangerous to my health!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Raymond Adams (69.241.124.---)
Date: August 07, 2007 08:37PM

Just like having the option to invert or "flip" a weave pattern having
the same option with decals would be a good thing! I may not
want to use that option very often but none the less the option
would be nice.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 07, 2007 11:12PM

I can see two decals bracketing the writing like bookends, each facing towards the writing or each facing away. Interesting.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster