I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod Suggestion Needed
Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 01:19AM

I thought I'd use an internet @#$%& house to see what kind of deal I could get on a reel to inspire a rod project. I just won a "Pflueger Trump Reel 1943 jeweled Original Box MINT COND". Vintage (1943+) level wind, bait caster. The photo on the site shows it to be in mint condition.

I'd like to try making a rod to go with it that might reflect the kind of rod it would have been used on back in it's day. (unless it was an el cheapo rod, then I'd just want to make something that should have been used)

Any suggestions?

Jim Hicks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2007 02:06AM by James Hicks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod Suggestion Needed
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 07:14AM

My father bought me my first bass rod in the early 50's and it was made out of steel. The other rods at that time were made out of bamboo and solid fiberglass. I do remember fishing in the 40's though and using cane poles. If I were to build a vintage rod for that reel I would use split cane.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2007 08:10AM

James;
Just a consideration that reel may one day beome more valuable kept in the box. I collect some old lures and have had some of them go up in value 600 to 700% in just 3 or 4 years.

Posted by: Ed Grella (69.37.33.---)
Date: August 05, 2007 09:51AM

I second Steve's suggestion

Date: August 05, 2007 12:06PM

I may just keep it in the box but still put a rod together for it. With a little searching I found an H-I conqueror 5' cane, hex shape, casting rod from the 1940s. I don't know it's condition other than "used", or it's value other than $150~$200 to buy it. Would this rod be close to a match for the reel? Would refurbishing one of these rods be within the grasp of a beginner? Or should I go for the steel or fiberglass rods where I have less chance of messing 'em up?

Jim Hicks

Date: August 05, 2007 07:40PM

Yes; it is something you could do. But then again the rod may be worth more by not fixing it up Just like antiques if your refurbish one you ruin its true value.

Date: August 05, 2007 08:20PM

Shucks! What good is it buying nice toys if you can't play with them? I'll get the rod just so I have a set and I'll stick 'em in a safe corner somewhere. Perhaps they'll increase in value enough to support my rod building habit :)

Date: August 06, 2007 06:38AM

Why not display them might look good on your wall.
Example of how they can change in value; I buy a few old lures for a display collection not really a hard core collector just buy some to display. Bought one off @#$%& a four years back for about $30.00 was looking around on @#$%& couple years later and the exact same lure, same color same every thing. Was being @#$%& it was already up to $763.00 with three days bidding yet to go. You just might be right a few years from now it might support your fishing habits.

I have a acquaintance that has been a hard core collector for many years about 7 years ago he sold the majority of his collection to bass Pro Shops and use the profit to build a house on a lake up the street in which the lake lots by themselves sell for an average of $450,000.00 each, so you never know.

Tom Kirkman has a nice collection he could probable share some examples also

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: August 06, 2007 11:02AM

You can get Ron Kusse or one of the other cane makers build you a blank and go from there.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster