I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First wrap
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2007 12:44AM

I have practiced my guide wrapping before i start on my first rod. I am using a manual wrapper with V supports. I have a slight problem keeping the rod from moving forward and back when wrapping. Any suggestions how i can fix this before i begin the real deal. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First wrap
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 05, 2007 01:20AM

Roger; The best hold down straps I found was a Velcro tie wrap used for tying up extension cords. Found them at Wal Mart. Cut 2 pieces about 1" square of the "hook" part and glue them to opposite sides of your "V" block. Use the long "fuzzy" strap to go over the rod at an angle and stick to the little pieces you glued on. Works great. Don't get the sticky back kind. The straps are too stiff and tend to scratch the blank. Do a search in the photo section on" tools and equipment" and you can see quite a few of them with the Velcro straps. Hope I gave you an understandable description.
Also, Mike Barkley has a photo in the "tools and equipment" section of one he made using a little nylon strap and 2 rubber bands. You can put a couple wood screws in your blocks to hook the rubber bands on. You can make a couple of those instead of the Velcro straps.

Jay

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 01:54AM

i use the rubber band thing....i just slip a rubberband over the the V so the band is on the outside of the V and it comes down on the rod and that holds pretty well

now my only problem is how to keep the rod from moving back and forth while wrapping haha

Date: August 05, 2007 02:00AM

Thats my problem. Back and forth, then i get gaps in my wrap, then i back up and start again. The rod moving up i got fixed. Its the back and forth movement i need help on.

Date: August 05, 2007 02:05AM

ahhh ok man im with you haha i hope someone answers

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 08:01AM

your turning hand is moving the blank Left and right. are you using a thread carrige or a fixed thread position? I had that problem and started using a Bobbin to hold the spool in my hand.maybe hand -eye coordination helped?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2007 08:14AM

Keeping the rod in place as you wrap is just a skill that you learn as you gain experience.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 08:36AM

Roger, keep practicing - it will come with time.

I built a little setup that I take on the road. I used wood V blocks that are felt lined. I put 1/4" dowels in the uprights and use those cloth-covered pony tail bands to put a little tension on the blank. Rubber bands grab a little too much for me.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Chuck

Date: August 05, 2007 10:32AM

Thanks for the replies. I guess practice, practice, practice and more practice. In Tom's book, he said use light touch when wrapping. Maybe i am a little heavy handed. One again thanks for all the help.

Roger

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: August 05, 2007 11:22AM

I find that this works for me. I keep the thread supply at a slight angle to the wrap so that it is tight against the previous wrap BUT not so much of an angle that it rides up over the other wrap. This thread supply comes from a large book that I use for tension and it is easy to move the book slightly to get the right angle. I also push the warps tight against each other by using my finger/thumb nail as I rotate the rod. After a little practice, practice, practice this method seems easy to me now.

Date: August 05, 2007 11:36AM

i do that also but when i get into it trying to wrap faster it goes back and forth...i noticed when im using the V blocks it moves back and forth but when im using on the roller stands i built it doesnt do that

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 11:40AM

Worse comes to worse, run a band of tape on the outside of your v blocks, it helps when you are just learning, doesn't take to long and stops all horizonal movement. Rich

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 05, 2007 01:56PM

Guess it depends what you mean by back and forth. I have a stop plate at the butt to keep the rod form slowly working that direction when turning in my roller setup. The blank taper causes it.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: August 05, 2007 01:57PM

I agree with Chuck. The rubber band grabs too much. You need the nylon strap between the rubber bands and it wont grab.
You are moving the rod back and forth with your hand . A little practice will take care of that.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: August 05, 2007 02:24PM

I have adapted my V-block building rigs in four areas that have greatly reduced movement problems and made wrapping easy, almost stress-free and a lot quicker. 1 ... using three V-blocks allows you to shorten the space on the blank being wrapped and therefore under pressure, reducing movement. 2 ....... I have cut lead weight plates that fit the base of my V-blocks. They are still quite portable but are also very stable and firm and don't move with the slightest slip or nudge. 3 ..... the Core Wrap Center of my outfit has my thread tensioner on it and main tools readily available. ( it is a wooden frame work built around a 25 lb block of lead a little bigger than a common brick ) .... again it is portable but very stable. 4 .... I have made small ' blank weight hangers' of varying weights to hang over a blank to put the right amount of pressure on it to stabalize it while I turn and wrap it. Thin nylon cord with some nuts or washers on both ends are slick and simple. The combination of these four adaptions makes for a very stable but easy to turn blank. Everything is in short reach, I can quickly adjust or move any problem area with one hand and the whole outfit is portable. I can take it to different rooms or outside or pack it easily for a demo somewhere. I'll try to post some photos on the Equipment Page since I'm sure my explanations could be a little vague.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.nccray.com)
Date: August 05, 2007 06:24PM

I'm like Dave Hauser and have a stopper plate for the butt of the rod to rest against and the first support is situated right in front of the foregrip so it's "trapped" and can't move left or right. Works good for me.

Putter
Williston, ND

Date: August 05, 2007 09:53PM

Once again thanks for all the advise. I will try sme of these tips. I like the back plate idea. Again thanks for helping a newbie. Hope to meet alot of the members at the expo. I am 1 of those 400 Tom mentioned in early post from North Carolina. (Greensboro)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster