I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: alternative's to weaves or butt wraps or feathers
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 01:32PM

Metal leafing is something that not many do for decoration on the rods. It's fast and easy to do and lots of different colors of the leafing available, too.

Marbling is likely the fastest and easiest method though, and can be combined with areas of feathers or metal leafing or...

Putter
Williston, ND

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: russell cook (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 02:16PM

you could also try those decorative shrink wraps used on arrows, they come in a million patterns and would probably work under epoxy

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 02:42PM

i feel you on that dave its definately a lot better when you do something that no one else has done

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 06:46PM

Try a totem pole LOL: [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2007 06:51PM by Steven Libby.

Date: August 01, 2007 08:56PM

HAHAHAHAHA thats tight!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 10:03PM

Snake or lizard skins have been done quite nicely. Cut, glue, cover with finish!
Love the totem pole Steven! Would make a cool kids rod!

Saw some cigarette snuffers recently that also looked promising.
Dragon heads, Hillbilly heads, Oak tree, biker types. These are made
of some type of ceramic and a hole is drilled completly thru them. Just
glue'em on. Cheezy for most but the right themed rod would work!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: August 01, 2007 11:36PM

raymond glad you said something about snakes! my snake just shed and i think i will try to use it on my rod

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: August 01, 2007 11:37PM

We've developed some basic - not necessarily simple - butt treatments that seem to work pretty well with our less-expensive rods. For example, we have an American Flag tape, about 1/4 in wide, that we spiral around the blank. When you do it this way (we'll be building one at the show) you get a continuous series of flags, re/white on re/white, blue/stars on blue stars, but alternating. The tape came from a craft shop. There are other designs that can be used equally well, in addition to the Gudebrod tapes that can be used to build chevrons in progressive colors. The techniques are relatively quick to do but look like nothing on the commercial market, which is kind of the whole point. Bright colors alone make a difference, too.

Another style is a solid-color underwrap, and a very thin ("A"-thread) two-or three wrap spiral or x-wrap over it, in a contrasting color. For example, we use colors from the schools round here - purple and gold for ECU, the Carolina Blue and white for - well, you know (I can't bring myself to say it), red & white for NC State, green & gold for UNCW, etc. Some folks like a "barber-pole" wrap - just alternating colors, wrapped solid, with a small white or black tip wrap. Quick to do, especially motorized, but really nice under glass. We also use some metalflake in our wraps for color, glitter,and a very different look. We recently tried a confetti design - the confetti-style glitter embedded in the first coat of TM, and then a finish coat; it sold within two days of putting it on the rack, although the guide wraps were very simple and had no glitter.

A customer seing his name on a rod is a really neat moment.

Our store customers have asked us for "bright" rods - it seems all they get is black wraps, with some pre-wrapped tape for butt wraps, or some single-thread color threads in with the black. One very famous commercial builder advertises "custom" rods - they have the word in their name - which consists of a specific model but ordered wrapped in the customer's choice of trim colors - but the basic wraps are still black.

I still have some personal rods, after all these years, that are showcases of threadwork, for me, anyway. The "classic" chasing fish, with red or black eyes and shaded fins. The full-coverage circles, divided into four differently-colors quarter segments. Full-coverage chevrons along four axes. I tried just about one of every pattern in Clemens' books, and then I progressed to weaving. These are all fun to do , for me. I don't even notice the time they take. But when you're in a production situation, you have to pick what fits the price-point you're after. It doesn't mean you can't do stuff that's pretty spectacular, it just means you have to innovate a little.

Patience, yes. Or lacking that, just some different ideas. But the only way you know what works is to sit (or stand) there and put some thread on the stick, which unfortuantely involves time and - well, patience. I saw a complete X-wrap product that goes on like a Chinese Finger Trap. When it's finished it looks like every Chinese-made rod in every rack in every store up and down the coast. You want quick and easy? Pick another craft. Or just don't do any butt wraps at all.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2007 11:40PM by Russ Pollack.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster