I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How many coats for finishes.
Posted by: Robert Egan (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 07:37AM

I'm experimenting with a few different finishes and wondering what the average builder uses and how many coats of epoxy is applied for that perfect finish?

Also, after applying a full coat of Diamonite over a double wrap it seems the material saturated the thread and will require additional coats. BTW Swifty's online documentation and included paper sheet is barely adequate.

Does color preservative act like a thread sealer? How many coats of CR is typical for both epoxies and the Diamonite?

I varnish boats as part of my job as ships carpenter. I lay on a minumum of 6 coats for a typical finish and up to 10 coats sanded between coats for that wood under glass effect. I hope it won't take as long with a rod. hehe

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How many coats for finishes.
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 08:19AM

I can do a rod with a single coat, although I usually use two coats - one to fully saturate and one to build to suit.

Yes, CP is a sealer - that is the only purpose for it. That being said, I only use it when necessary to preserve thread colors - I prefer NCP and Metallics.

Here is a link to a long thread about Diamondite, including a set of instructions ... [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 10:45AM

One coat on FW rods, two on SW rods. Pretty standard for me with flex coat high build finish.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 11:16AM

i use threadmaster and don't generally use CP

I go with two coats for most applications. sometimes with open cross wraps it takes me an additional coat or two to get a nice level finish

permagloss woudl be more like the varnish you use for boats and requires more coats as you would think.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 12:50PM

i use U-40 Duragloss LS Supreme and use 2 coats....i think a thin layer looks better than a thicker one but on heavy saltwater rods i use about 3 coats which is nice and thick

on the next rod i build im going to order some threadmaster though because ive heard nothing but good things about it...dont get me wrong the LS supreme is great but im just trying everything i can get my hands on at the moment

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 01:49PM

Thread master, usually one coat, two over decorative wraps. I use CP 95% of the time. I prefer to maintain thread spool color as much as possible.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 03:44PM

I've used HobbyPoxy for many years (no longer available). This stuff gives me something close to varnish in the appearance, yet has the durability of epoxy. I use four thin coats, same as I do with varnish. I like the look of a well-made varnished wrap. I try to get away from the "football" look that I see alot nowadays, like on Winston rods for example.

Posted by: steve clark (---.cstel.net)
Date: August 02, 2007 09:26AM

No intention to sidetrack the topic, but I feel the way Rob does about the ‘football’ look, and his e–mail is hidden . . . Rob, have you found anything even remotely resembling a suitable sub for HobbyPoxy ?

–smc–

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.na.baesystems.com)
Date: August 02, 2007 12:58PM

steve clark Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> . . . Rob, have you found
> anything even remotely resembling a suitable sub
> for HobbyPoxy ?
>
>

No I haven't. I still have enough left for a couple more rods. When that's done I may switch back to varnish for freshwater rods and then start looking at other epoxies for saltwater. Whatever I find, I still intend to apply it in multiple thin coats.

Posted by: Robert Egan (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: August 02, 2007 01:11PM

I agree about the look and feel of epoxy vs varnish. I have the same sort of opinion about wood under laquer vs wood under varnish. The varnish brings out more of the
"life" of the grain and the old rods finishes seemed so much more classy.

So far the 3 epoxy products I have used are not nearly as forgiving as varnish to apply

From what I found as a boat builder varnishes are not adversly effected by salt water. If it's strength you're after just do a double wrap and I'll bet its as strong as an expoxied rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster