I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question on St. Croix blanks
Posted by: Scott Evans (---.dsl.bltnin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 10:10PM

I am looking at a St. Croix SC V in the 6'6" M or MH. I fish loomis most of the time but since I have started building I want to try some other brands. Are the SC V blank similar to the loomis GLX? Also, how do actions of a St. Croix compare with loomis. I have heard that St. Croix blanks are a little stiffer. This rod will be used for 5/16oz finesse jigs up to 1/2 oz regular jig. Go with Medium or Medium Heavy? Thanks for the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on St. Croix blanks
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 31, 2007 10:36PM

A little stiffer than what? Stiffness pretty much amounts to power. There are GLX blanks that are stiffer than SCV's and SCV's that are stiffer than GLX's. That all depends on the individual model.

Select your blank by the lure weight rating (forget the "medium" and "medium heavy" designations) on the particular model. You want the lure you're throwing most to fall about midway between the rating.

Posted by: Scott Evans (---.dsl.bltnin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 11:28PM

I see what you are saying. I was just trying to compare a SC V to to a similar model and action Loomis. For example a Croix SC V 5C66MHF to a Loomis GLX 783. I was also wondering about weight comparison since I did not see loomis list a blank weight. Thanks...Scott

Posted by: Darrell Diskey (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: July 31, 2007 11:50PM

Scott,

I've built a number of SCV's and GLX's for exactly the application you describe--for me and others, and here's my take after we did several bass tournaments with the SCV M 6'6" and SCV M 6'8" XF for light duty texas--rigging and light jigs (1/4-5/16). Some of the veteran builders here may laugh me off the site, but here goes:

Rods perform fabulously---ultra sensitive blanks, as long as you stay well inside the weight range. They are excellent for 1/4-5/16 oz! Once you get to the upper reaches of the lure weight range (1/2-5/8oz) , the blank seems a little overloaded, and I felt it dampened the sensitivity. However, the blank was still relatively rigid in the upper 1/3 under a 5/8oz load compared to a 2 power GLX MB blank. I haven't used my GLX blanks much yet, so I can't help you with a good comparison. I know there are a lot of guys here who have built and used both (Matt Davis comes to mind), that can give you a more accurate comparison.

Posted by: Jeff Helm (---.dsl.skt2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 03:47PM

Scott,
(IMHO) Darrel's assessment of SCV 6'6"M and 6'8"MXF is spot on. With the 6'8"MXF having the softer tip of the two. They are incredibly light and ultra sensitive, but seem to fish there best at or near the bottom of there lure wt. ratings. For 3/8 oz.-5/8 oz. jigs I'd go with the MH. I have built and fished all three of these blanks, ( the MH being a 7'er) and find them to load fast and give excellent hook setting power. Tom's right about power ratings, it's an apples and oranges kind of thing. They seem to apply at best within one manufactures own range of blanks. Without being able to fish the different rod blanks, lure weight ratings is the best you can do. But even they can be a bit subjective. As for comparing the SCV's & GLX's, hopefully someone else may have more info. I hope this helps you in your quest!
Jeff Helm
Riverbank ca.

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.enbridge-us.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 04:21PM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> A little stiffer than what? Stiffness pretty much
> amounts to power. There are GLX blanks that are
> stiffer than SCV's and SCV's that are stiffer than
> GLX's. That all depends on the individual model.
>
> Select your blank by the lure weight rating
> (forget the "medium" and "medium heavy"
> designations) on the particular model. You want
> the lure you're throwing most to fall about midway
> between the rating.
>
> ..........

They won't give it to you either if you call trust me I've been there.....

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.fergus.prtel.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 06:52PM

St. Croix model blanks, with the exception of the XF models are slower in action than the Loomis MB's and SJ's. Not a ton mind you, but a few degrees.

I feel the LE is the closest competitor to the GLX. Great blank and I really do like my LE's.

I too hear that St. Croix blanks are "stiffer" or "overpowered". Those observations are typically coming from guys that only look at "medium" and medium heavy" terms. And feel St. Croix's "medium" should be just like Loomis' "medium", or Kistlers "medium". That just isn't a good comparison. Never has been, never will be.

I find St. Croix's lure ratings to be pretty much right on.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: August 01, 2007 07:48PM

I think that the 3C68MXF (or 4C or 5C) would be perfect for your application, if it's an open-water situation. The XF tip is really good for shaking jigs in place. The 3C66MF works well too, though I don't like the F tip as well as the XF. Like Darrell pointed out, the XF will work well, as long as you stay with the smaller baits. It'll work with a 1/2 oz. jig also, but it'll be a little overloaded.

If you're fishing pretty heavy cover or bigger jigs, I'd go up to a MH. The 3C66MHF is quite nice, as is the 3C70MHF. But, my personal favorite for 1/2 oz. to 5/8 oz. jigs is the 3C70MHXF (I don't know if they make this model in the 4C or 5C).

Posted by: Scott Evans (---.ded.ameritech.net)
Date: August 02, 2007 06:37AM

Thanks to everyone who replied. Good information that helps me make my decision. Thanks again. Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster