I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tiger Wrap & Thread Tension
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: July 30, 2007 09:28PM

Now that I have finished my latest project I'm trying to figure this tiger thing out.
My question concerns thread tension on the top layer, do you want it firm like you're wrapping guides or looser so it's easier to shift around?
Can someone describe the technique for burnishing the top layer?
Unfortunately I can't get Rodmaker here in Canada, so this forum is all I have.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tiger Wrap & Thread Tension
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2007 09:31PM

The bottom layer is better with a bit less thread tension which will let you really move the thread around down there. The top layer can be wrapped a bit tighter. You want it precise and not haphazard like the bottom or it's going to look like a badly made wrap with gaps and spaces. Burnish it carefully and evenly prior to removing the second thread.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2007 09:32PM

I don't think you want the top layer moving around.

Date: July 30, 2007 09:36PM

Ok, so if I have this right it's the bottom layer that is shifted around and the top layer is done like a normal wrap, not the other way around.

Right?

Regards
Dave

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 30, 2007 09:48PM

You got it Dave. You also need to remember to wrap one direction for the under wrap and the other directiion for the upper layer. I think Scott recommends that you hit the upper layer with a hair dryer then let it cool before removing the sacrificial thread . That help set the upper layer from shifting. In my experiments I have found the effect to me more pronounced with two or more layers of finish on the underwrap. The burnishing technique is something you need to play with and remember the results. I write it down so I can come closer to duplicating it if I want to. Good luck and have fun with it.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2007 09:49PM

You got it!
when you are removing the extra thread that is discarded you don't want the thread you leave moving at all.

Date: July 30, 2007 10:04PM

Cool: Thanks a bunch...............Off to the bench I go :-)
I guess I need a hair dryer now.............. I'm Folically Challenged and have no need for one otherwise!!! LOL

Regards
Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2007 10:06PM by Dave Orr.

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: July 30, 2007 10:42PM

We Must use the same barber then. LOL

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 01:33AM

....Yup, everyone hit the nail on the head!

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 31, 2007 12:06PM

home depot sells a nice little heat gun for like $20 i think is what i paid....they are nice to have you can bend and shape plexi or do heat shrink etc etc

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster