I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How much should I charge?
Posted by: Jeff Rodda (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2007 10:28AM

I have a repair customer that wants me to put a fresh coat of finish on the entire length of a 7ft allstar rod. Any advice on what to charge?

Best Regards,

Jeff Rodda

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much should I charge?
Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: July 30, 2007 11:01AM

What type of "finish" does he want on the entire length ? Permagloss ? How long will it take you ? What do you think your time is worth/ hour ?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 30, 2007 03:22PM

$10 per foot absolute minimum. Absolute minimum.

Date: July 30, 2007 03:32PM

First of all, thanks for the replies.

I just got off of the phone with him. All he wants is a coat of finish to make them (3) look as good as possible. Do you still think 10 a foot?

Best Regards,

Jeff Rodda

Date: July 30, 2007 03:39PM

That depends. Are you doing this as a business where you want to be fairly compensated for your time? Or are you just doing the guy a favor and want to put a few dollars in your pocket?

"As good as possible" tells me that he doesn't just want you to slap a coat of something over the scratched and marred surface you have now - that won't look as good as possible. Maybe better than it was before, but not "good."

Let's assume you're going to just clean up and refinish between the guides without removing them. You still have to scrape and Scotchbrite the area between the guides. A good hour or two I'd think to get it stripped down and prepared for the new finish. Then you tape off the guide wraps and apply a coat of Permagloss. Then probably a second coat. Then let it stand and then removed the tape. Sounds easy enough, but you've spent maybe 2 or 3 hours and bought $10 worth of PG. The sandpaper or Scotchbrite cost you something as well. Let's say you made $50 for those 2 or 3 hours total. Is that worth it to you? Only you can answer that.

I haven't talked to your customer so again, "as good as possible" may mean something different to him that it does to me.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2007 04:20PM

Refinishing or rebuilding rods is MUCH more work than constructing a new rod ... consider that when you figure out what it is worth to you.

Posted by: Sammy Mickel (---.r4.ncreed.infoave.net)
Date: July 30, 2007 06:27PM

I agree with Tom $10 a foot and your standard amount for re-wrapping the guides. Think about it, after you are done with the exception of the grip and seat, the rod will look better than a factory rod. If they are serious it won't be a problem

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 30, 2007 06:49PM

It's time to fish or cut bait...with a name like RODDA I suggest fishing.. wanna trade last names ???
Ten dollars is more than fair per ft. like Tom says. You will be suprised how much time goes into something like this.
Take a shot at selling him on a NEW rod built by you at your regular going rate and tell him in between time you will re-do his old rod at five a foot and at only at your leisure, and I am willing to bet that this gains you a good customer and you will still be pocketing a couple bucks.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: July 30, 2007 09:27PM

Jeff - Tom's spot-on. It's a lot more work than you think, never mind what meterials you'll use.

Start with materials - a 7' rod, from end-to-end, is going to absorb a goodly amount of stuff, done right.

Then about the time - that includes set-up time (prep of the surface, applying the finish, and "nursing" each coat to make sure it's bubble-free and smooth as glass the entire length of the rod. We've found that if you want "pin" money (an old term, indeed, but then I'm old) $10/ft is minimum. After much experimenting within our market, we've settled on. Our actual target is $20/hr (not counting drying time.

We have a saying about the prices of things here in the South - "he sure thinks highly of his stuff". It's not a compliment. But when it's your handwork, your skill, your reputation on the line, the quality should justify the price, so much so, that when the customer sees your work, all he can say is "wow, it's (great, fantastic, exactly what I wanted - you fill in the blank). At that point, there's no discussion at all about price. He feels as though he's getting more than he paid for.

The quality of your work is either worth it - or not.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Date: July 30, 2007 10:28PM

Once again thanks for all of the replies.

I have lurked on this board for several years. I recently retired from active duty after 21years and I successfully negotiated 6 months of freedom from work from my wife.

I have been helping a local retail/manufacturer with their backlog on repairs and learning as I go along. I have been making rods for myself and friends for about 4 years now. My business name is "Knothead Rods". I know that do I not want to make them for a living but do not mind at all making them for fishing money. All of this advice has been very helpful. I think that I will quote him in line with Tom, Sammy, Russ's advice....maybe I'll get lucky and he will say no.

Thanks again,

Best Regards,

Jeff Rodda

Date: July 30, 2007 10:42PM

If he does say no, don't take it personally. Many people do not really understand the work involved and even more fail to value your skill and craftsmanship. After all, it's just a fishing "pole."

Obvious there are some who know and appreciate the difference and those are the ones you want to cultivate for your business.

And... if you just want to do it for less, by all means, do so. I think what we've all given you here is a price that most builders who are in it as a business would have to charge in order to turn a decent profit.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 31, 2007 08:14AM

Jeff are you certain it is an AllStar rod and not a Star rod-most of the Star rods have the entire surface of the blank and wraps covered in flex coat and it is common in Fl for people to want the rod re coated. The question becomes how bad is the old coating a common repair is simply paint black any scratches, lightly scuff the blank with a scotch guard pad and refinish not the best solution but most people are happy with the results at least until some time goes by and the coating begins to age cost for this in general runs $10 per foot entire rod length.
For those who want the job done properly or better it is cheaper to buy a new rod
John

Posted by: Charlie Armontrout (---.meadwestvaco.com)
Date: August 01, 2007 07:55PM

In regards to pricing for your time and talents, I have a quote in my shop that says,

" I have no quarrel with those who sell for less, only they know what their product is worth."

Keep 'em turnin

Charlie
Tight Line Custom Rods

Date: August 01, 2007 10:07PM

John they are Star rods and he said no which I am actually glad about. I did not really want to do the recoat and I also did not want to put the store that sent him in a pinch. Thanks to all of the advice I quoted him a price that was fair.

Thanks again,

Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster