I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dream Reamer question
Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: July 30, 2007 02:39AM

OK, we've finally worn out two of our Dream Reamers. We tried to replace the sandpaper strips this wekend and found out that apparently, the extra strips of sandpaper are not self-sticking - we thought it was a peel-&-stick setup.

We tried to use Duco 2-part 5-minute epoxy on the back of the sandpaper tape, holding it till it seemed dry. Didn't work - came right off the glass shaft the first time we put it in a drill.

So the question is, how do you replace the sandpaper tape?

thanks in advance
Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2007 09:28PM by Russ Pollack.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dream Reamer question
Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.tvlres.jcu.edu.au)
Date: July 30, 2007 03:01AM

I'd use a slow set epoxy, Russ. On my DIY reamers I use Devcon 2 Ton, winding the strip on in the opposite direction to rotation. It also helps a great deal to clean off all the old glue: a little heat with a hairdryer and a scraping action with a dull blade works well, same as removing finish from a rod. Finally, a water-break-free surface with Scotchbrite or very fine sandpaper.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 30, 2007 06:32AM

According to Batson, when I asked ...

Only remove the section(s) necessary, clean up the exposed glass, adhere new sandpaper with GEL SUPERGLUE, wait overnight and ream away. I haven't had any issues when following these instructions ... other than having my fingers stuck together for awhile afterwards.

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: July 30, 2007 09:31AM

If you buy a can of contact cement and after cleaning up the reamer,take a throw away brush and coat the blank and the back side of the abrasive. Wait until both pieces are no longer tacky then spiral wrap the abrasive to the reamer blank. Let cure for three or four hours then ream to your hearts content. They do not come apart. I have some reamers made using contact cement that have been in use several years and they still are in one piece. There is no mess and very little cleanup.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 30, 2007 10:13AM

And don't ask him how many corks were done with the reamer in several years. There is a wide range of abrasive grit size and quality of backing.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: July 30, 2007 09:31PM

OK, we used the wrong cement. Drove us crazy for a while trying to get one layer off at a time to get to the peel-&stick layer. Nice to know it wasn't there after all - - -

We'll fix it this coming weekend. Thanks so much to everybody!

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2007 09:33PM by Russ Pollack.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster