I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

old but near perfect Orvis cane rod.. questions......
Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dotnet.com)
Date: July 28, 2007 03:51PM

I was given an Orivs split cane fly rod by a customer to try and find out more about it and a possble, ball park value. Is there a website for the 'cane guys that I can post some detailed information about this rod and get some feedback before he tries to sell it?

Just a few of the details, 8 1/2 foot, model "99" 2 pc, yes i said 2pc, rated for a line that is designated in letters, not numbers. Original bag and tube minus the screw top. Looks to me like it was NEVER used. And also looks like original condition. Serial number is 23,000 something.
thanks,
Buzz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: old but near perfect Orvis cane rod.. questions......
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: July 28, 2007 04:28PM

Buzz,
Does it have both tips?

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 28, 2007 05:01PM

If it doesn't list a line number, then it was most likely made prior to or just around the time AFTMA created the modern fly line numbering system. My guess is that it's about 35 or more years old, and worth about $400 to $450. Maybe a little more depending on the line weight rating. A lighter line rating rod will bring a little more money than the heavyweights. And in bamboo, the shorter rods typically bring a little more money. Anything under 8' is in pretty high demand.

Orvis has made some exceptional bamboo rods over the years but they haven't appreciated like some other models have. Their "impregnated" finishing method causes many to assume that they're heavy, but the few I've ownded and cast didn't seem that much heavier than counterparts from other companies. A little, perhaps, but nothing at all objectionable. And they hold up very well.

I think the "99" predates the Madison and Battenkill models, but I'm not an expert on Orvis bamboo models.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 28, 2007 06:30PM

Use the address below to visit a site that will tell you when the rod was made. You will need to look for the serial number located near the ferrule. When I contacted Orvis about my '99' I was informed that the '99' was constructed as a two piece, one tip rod.

[mysite.verizon.net]

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: July 28, 2007 07:43PM

There are a couple of things you can do. First, email Orvis with the serial number. They will tell you exactly when it was made and which Orvis builder made it. There is a site where you can get more information, but I don't know if it's permissable to post links here so I will hold off on that until I hear otherwise. Based on the 23xxx serial number, I can tell you that it was made sometime in the late 1950s.

Date: July 29, 2007 08:58AM

Thanks guys, I will check further.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 29, 2007 09:10AM

Buzz,

On April 4, 1989 I contacted Chuck Stabolepszy at Orvis about my model '99', which I had purchased at an @#$%& for $150. He said it was worth $275-$350, and that the model 99 was manufactured between 1956 and 1959. Based upon the serial number (#22582), the rod likely was made '56-'57. The purchaser had never sent in the warrantee card. The rod was made with one tip. Regarding line weight, Chuck said the 1950's catalogs gave this information:

7' 6" Back then - DT6, Now - DT5
8' 0" Back then - DT7, Now - DT6
8' 6" Back then - DT7, Now - DT6

Jeff Shafer

P.S. I don't know if you're into the CCS, but I did three ERN/AA tests (the rod had a fair amount of set before I had Orvis do repairs to the rod this past Spring).

Guides down: ERN - 4.16, AA - 55
Guides up: ERN - 5.05, AA - 55
Guides 90 degrees: ERN - 4.60, AA - 55

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/2007 09:15AM by Jeff Shafer.

Date: July 30, 2007 09:14AM

Thanks for all the input Jeff, much appreciated.
Buzz

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster