I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How to tell if the graphite is damaged (bad, bad pike)?
Posted by: Erik Godwin (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2007 08:16PM

I recently made a light/ultralight spinning rod (4-10lb test) for use on smallmouth bass. It performed beautifully, right up until the point where a 35 inch pike crushed the lure at the boat, slamming the rod tip into the aluminum rail. the impact took a divot out of the paint, exposing the graphite about seven inches from the tip.

My question is this -- how do I know if I damaged the rod? Do I just have to wait for it to fail, or is there a stress test that I can conduct? This is a travel rod, so I would really prefer not to have it fail several thousand miles from home....

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Erik

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How to tell if the graphite is damaged (bad, bad pike)?
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2007 08:56PM

Erik;
If it hit the boat hard enough to chip the paint? There is a good chance it bruised the blank. It may last for a while or it may break on the next fish. I would at the least build a back up rod or use that one close to home for a while until you see what it s going to do. It is possible that it's not damaged but unlikely. Especially if it’s a high modulus blank, as they are more subject to damage form being struck or striking something else then cheaper blanks.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.35-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2007 09:14PM

Paint?? do you mean epoxy? Is the graphite splintered, or just not covered with either the epoxy or paint anymore?

If you want to preform a test run the line through the guides tie it to somethin near the ground about 20 feet from you, pull back and cross your fingers.

Posted by: Erik Godwin (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2007 09:16PM

Scott,

The graphite does not appear to be splintered, but it is definitely not covered by epoxy or paint where the rod hit the boat -- the coating chipped away, leaving bare graphite underneath.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.35-65.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2007 09:41PM

recoat the area with some permagloss or epoxy, it should be fine.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.75-100.unk.tds.net)
Date: July 26, 2007 10:47PM

Erik,
I would recommend getting a new tip section from the manufacturer and build it as a backup. An impact of that type has most likely damaged the fibers whether they are currently exposed or not.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Rich Handrick (---.gdrpwi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2007 11:10PM

The problem with doing a stress test of any sort is that it won't really mimic real life conditions. I'd say if that blank hit the boat hard enough to chip the finish away, you very likely have damage to the graphite as well - I'd follow Todd's advice (seeing as he might know a thing or two about blanks LOL!), and see if a second tip is available to build up as a backup. That, or it's an excuse to build a WHOLE NEW ROD :-) Darn snot rockets....

Posted by: Jeffrey Wolfanger (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: July 26, 2007 11:28PM

Would a thin coat or 2 of permagloss be a possibility....it might not look right but it may protect...Dont know maybe it is a dumb idea....

Posted by: Owen Dare (---.perm.iinet.net.au)
Date: July 27, 2007 02:12AM

There are a couple of laws that apply here.

1: Anything that can go wrong will (Murphy's Law)
2: The chances of the buttered side of the bread falling face down is directly proportional to the price of the carpet (Murphy's other law)
3: That sucker is gonna fail as soon as you hook the fish of a lifetime (I'm a pessimist law ;-)

cheers,
Owen

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 28, 2007 07:17PM

I'm with those who said probably damaged. I had a similar experienced and was marveling at the toughness of a blank. Even fished and caught some more fish on vacation with that rod. Some weeks later, the blank just folded like a straw without any undue pressure.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster