I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lamiglass XMG series - high bang for the buck
Posted by: Mo Yang (67.41.154.---)
Date: July 26, 2007 12:48AM

Been meaning to make ths post for a while.

In most of the industries I have had interests in (i.e. guitars, firearms in the past etc.) there seem to always be at least one company which spends very little advertising relative to other major companies in their industry. As a result, the products are lower priced reflecting the savings.

It seems to me that in the high performance/modulus blanks, the Lamiglas XMG offers unmatched values in some of their lines. In particular, their spin jig blanks are extremely light for the power. I've gotten stats from other high end manufacturers and found none with the weight/power ratio of the Lamiglas XMG such as the spin jigs. Granted, I've not had all the brands in my hands but on paper, I've found none that matched them. The the XMG is cheaper than most other high modulus top end blanks is a big plus in my book. Their large diameter design really reduces weight.

I've also spoken with the people at Lamiglas at various times including Todd Vivian and find them very responsive to queries.

Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lamiglass XMG series - high bang for the buck
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 26, 2007 06:16AM

Now you've gone and done it ... LOL. If the price of those "secret" blanks goes up, we know who to blame now. You are 100% correct, Mo. The XMG blanks are a GREAT value and well deserving of your comments.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 26, 2007 07:50AM

Thanks Putter for the LS782. I was shocked the blank was as light as it is, it weighed in at 1/1oz. WIll see how it compares to the SC5 MXF when I get it. I'm curious if all the XMG's have spines located 180 from each other. I know spine doesn't matter & etc...but I still like to have blanks with either 1 strong spine or spines 180 from each other. Especially when the blank is pretty much straight, makes life easy.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 26, 2007 08:12AM

Mo - Curious - "large diameter design"? The reasons I am using the XMG is the smaller diameter in the butt area, needed lengths and actions, reduced weight and tough enough for the bassers. If you are building for one of the charter members of the BBBBB Club** stay with the IMCs.

I read your posts on lite weight stuff and dream about the day I can work on stuff like that. You would croak if you watched the delivery of one of my finished 927F Flippin Sticks to a basser. When they come in for pick up I give them the option of installing a 2.5 oz balancing weight in the butt section. This weight is required on one of the slimmed down lite wt 92 inch Lamis spiraled with Alconites and finished with minimum thread and Perma Gloss.

** Bassin Bad Boy Butt Breakers

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2007 08:53AM

Mo Yang,
I agree with you completely. I use a lot of Lamiglas blanks and have for quite a few years. I think that they have a very wide range of outstanding blanks in standard, intermediate and high modulus plus they also make a number of mixed modulus blanks. And I also agree with you that they are great people to deal with. The only area where I think that they may come up a little short is in the area of promotion of their products.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: July 26, 2007 09:23AM

Billy, take a look inside the butt of the Lamis and follow the "Yellow Brick Road". The yellow tag marks and the strong planes will always have the same relationship. These blanks have the most definitive roll test lock in point of any I have fooled with.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: July 26, 2007 10:19AM

Really glad to see a post about the Lamiglas XMG series and IM series of blanks. These blanks just don't receive the publicity that they should, for the quality and performance level they offer, along with a great value for what they are. Todd Vivian has been listening to what we have been asking for a producing it. The blanks continue to get better and better. He has strived for his personel in production to make sure the cloth is laid straighter on the mandrels and rolled to perfection, thus creating a blank that has more of what Billy V. and Bill S. mentioned. A blank that has locking points at 0 and 180 when they are flexed. This may not matter to some folks, but I really am a big fan of these type blanks and in my mind it does make a big difference, especially when you have a straight blank, then the 0 & 180 locking positions all match up. Two quality series of blanks that more and more folks need to be paying more attention to. If you have any more questions or would like to discuss these fine blanks in more detail, being we are a Lamiglas distributor, I would be more than glad to provide specific info for you. Just give me a call at 931-684-6164. Try a XMG or IM series blank and you will not regret it.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Date: July 26, 2007 11:20AM

Glad to see the responses. Todd and Lamiglass deserve the accolades. Todd, keep keeping the price to performance ratio high....:)

Mo

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: July 26, 2007 11:29AM

Bob, it's good to know they were able to accomplish this. I remember some talk about it a while back, I believe I may have even posted here asking about it. I don't have any of the new IM blanks, but do have an "old" IMC 78Mh & an 80H, which I absolutely love.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 26, 2007 01:40PM

I can't even remember who/when I got turned on to these blanks, but they are awesome!!

And you're sure welcome, Billy.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Don Baker (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 26, 2007 05:38PM

I have only one XMG 50, the discontinued LSG700. It is simply an awesome panfish rod for vertical jig fishing. PLEASE bring it back, in fact , add a spin jig that`s 5` 6" and rated for 1/8 oz jigs. If lamiglass would push these as panfish blanks they would sell alot of them. I will definitely buy more XMG50`s.

Date: July 26, 2007 10:38PM

I think Todd should do a slighltly lighter power verseion of the LSJ700 in 7 feet length.....:)

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster