I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

gel pen for signature on blank
Posted by: John Broughton (---.iad.untd.com)
Date: July 25, 2007 03:48PM

I have been using a Y & C Xtreme .7 for writing on blanks, however
none of the stores that used to sell them carries them now. What
are you guys using for gel pens in gold, black and silver?
I'm not the neatest writer on the planet and the gel pen is easy
for me to use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: gel pen for signature on blank
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: July 25, 2007 04:27PM

I've been using some metallic markers from my local office store. I think they are Rose Art brand. They came in a five pack and are silver, gold, blue, purple, and one other color. All metallic colors. One end is fat and one end is extra fine, more like a pen, but no roller. I like them. And when I mess up, a little alcohol and the marker wipes off and I start over.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2007 05:13PM

I use "PEN TOUCH" gold or silver metalic and white. Extra fine point 0.7mm that I get from Michals arts and craft stores.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: July 25, 2007 05:42PM

I've been using the same thing that Steve is using

Posted by: Jerry Chambers (---.knx.tn.nxs.net)
Date: July 26, 2007 04:39PM

I use a gel pen called "Gelly Roll". I write directly on the blank, if it does not go on well I scour the area with scotchbright pad and try again. I let it dry about 1 hour and coat with ThreadMaster or Flex-Coat. The key to not smearing the ink is to not touch it with your brush, just let the finish flow off the brush onto the blank and level out. The pens are made in Sakura Japan and can be found in most craft stores.

Posted by: Bill Falconer (---.dsl.fyvlar.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 27, 2007 11:08AM

I am with Jerry. I have had consistently and by far the best luck using Gelly Roll pens by Sakura in the medium width. I pay $1.29 apiece for them at either my local Michael's or my local Hobby Lobby and use them in Gold, Silver and White. I do not even need to ScotchBrite a gloss finish blank and these git 'er done the first time every time. If you mess up, they immediately wipe clean off (have a IPA wetted towel at the ready) and you just try again. These pens provide a very good match in these three colors with my waterslide decals from Decal Connection.

You will not have a problem smearing the ink if you let it dry for 24 hours before applying epoxy. I have used FC and ThreadMaster over these with equal success. I have never coated these with CP so have no idea what you will get if you try that. As always, test it out first to be safe. Good luck!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster