I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is there a list for all of these rod designations.
Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: July 25, 2007 12:31PM

I copied this list from a previous note and have seen some definitions listed in the library but is there a list somewhere with the application description included? Thanks.

Popping
Dropshot
Crankbait
Topwater
Frog
Pitchin'
Flippin'
Wormin'
Shakey Head
Darter Head
Spinnerbait
Swimbait (small)
Swimbait (medium)
Swimbait (large)
Jerkbait
Senko
etc., etc.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is there a list for all of these rod designations.
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 25, 2007 01:56PM

Did you check the glossary page here? Most would be listed there.

New ones are cropping up every few months, of course.

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 25, 2007 03:14PM

do you mean a list of the rod types and what situation you would use them in?

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: July 25, 2007 11:46PM

The designations get more and more specialized. Most of the impetus for this is coming from the pro-bass crowd who need to make what they do and the way they do it more and more complex in order to keep the mystique going, and to sell rods and lures and such for their sponsors. If they just did this year what they did last year they'd have little reason to get you to buy anything if last year's stuff still worked.

Most well-built rods are pretty versatile tools. If the fisherman learns to apply them to different techniques, most of the time, they can do the job passably well if not better than that. The pros do have the advantage of fishing relatively constantly and their skills remind me of pro golfers, who can make any club do some amazing things but who use custom-ground, weighted, and balanced clubs that you and I would never expect to get our hands on much less have tailor-built for us - and even then we couldn't use them to the fullest capability.

It's called marketing. It's driven by the manufacturers who, after all, sponsor the pros.

However, you can't minimize the customer's request for a rod in one of the categories above. He has a mental picture of what he wants to do with it and that's what he wants your rod for - something better than he can buy off-the-rack but still use for the specific technique he has in mind. DO NOT try to tell him a worm rod will also quite happily throw and work a small lure, or that a 7ft rod will work equally as well as a 6-1/2ft rod, or that a two-piece rod is as good (and sometimes better) as a one-piece rod.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 26, 2007 04:49PM

**It's called marketing.....**
Yep. And the goal is to catch fisherman, not fish. Fish rarely go shopping. Next, someone will have to market a dingy to tow behind your boat so you can have all your 'must haves' come with you.

Personally I am amused that people watch fishing on television. For something exotic and far away, I can maybe see it as noting someplace to go yourself someday. But to watch people catching fish you can go out and catch yourself? Something quite strange about that to me. People do odder things tho.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 26, 2007 10:08PM

After reading Rich Forhan's book "Powerhand Baitcasting" you can narrow down your rod needs to 5 or 6 rods for just about anything you need to throw at bass. His blank selections are a little outdated as the Lamiglas Certified Pro blanks are no longer made, but the IM 700 blanks and he XMG50 blanks make up for the loss with similar blanks.
Have been a Lamiglas fan for many years, I've tried some of Rich's other choices over the years but they all seem to sell out, (Shikari) or the blanks get harder to find. (GUSA)

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 28, 2007 05:26AM

The so called "ROD ACTIONS" above, are sooooooooooooo much like flylines: So much marketing!!!!!

Bassbug taper
Pike taper
Bonefish taper
Tarpon taper
Muskie taper
Nymph taper
Steelhead taper
Saltwater taper
Salmon taper
And now...Carp/Redhorase taper!!!

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 28, 2007 04:17PM

dave...

I like your philosophy!!! Your a legend!!

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster