I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best value blank brand?
Posted by: John Straus (204.136.26.---)
Date: July 23, 2007 12:39PM

I am building a rod on a budget, what is everyone's opinion on the best blank for the money? brand or specifics? looking mainly for saltwater blanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best value blank brand?
Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 23, 2007 12:42PM

Rainshadow will ALWAYS get my vote! Great selection too.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2007 12:43PM

IMO, you need to be more specific - saltwater ranges from inshore 8-14# class to 100# grouper sticks. Tell the species, fishing method, etc ... as much information as you can and plenty of folks will chime in.

Date: July 23, 2007 12:46PM

Sorry for the Vague post.
I am looking for a saltwater blank, around 10-25 #
around 6 to 8 feet
mainly spinning, little casting

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 23, 2007 01:21PM

John,
Still not enough info. Don't you know what your fishing for, and how? Fishing rods are like golf clubs, you need the right one for the conditions at hand.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2007 01:26PM

Yep ...

Livebait, dead bait or lures? If lures, what type? Crankbaits and topwaters require a different blank than jigs/bucktails for example.
Target Species? Redfish, snook, tarpon, flounder, bluefish, etc.
Fishing Platform? Land, bridge, jetties, boat, kayak, etc.
Braid, Mono or Flourocarbon?

Spinning and Casting are TOTALLY different ... guides, reels and seats. So which do you want?

Date: July 23, 2007 02:55PM

I am really just looking for brand here, nothing that specific guys.
thanks

Posted by: Scott Throop (---.lsanca.fios.verizon.net)
Date: July 23, 2007 03:57PM

John, if your looking for a general line of blanks to choose from, check out the Batson Rainshadow / Forecast stuff! Quality vs. price...I bet these are exactly what your looking for. From your brief discription, I'll bet the Rainshadow RCLB70XL will fit the bill....makes a great general purpose fast action workhorse inshore saltwter rod. Tons of bang for your buck! Check out Rainshadow on the sponsor list to the left.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: July 23, 2007 04:50PM

Go with Sott's suggestion You can't go wrong with the
Batson line of products. They are IMO the best value for the money

Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 23, 2007 06:07PM

i havent build a rod out of a rainshadow yet but i checked one out at a local shop and it looked extremely nice and light...also it was the same price as the same class gator glass...i wish i would have bought that instead of the gator glass(not that im unhappy with the gator glass but the finish was a lot nicer and it was probably half the weight)

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.erl.com)
Date: July 23, 2007 10:27PM

Tiger eye blanks are a great value also

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: July 23, 2007 11:07PM

Batson, and then PacBay.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 24, 2007 02:57PM

Batson/ Rainshadow all the way. Try the SW967 Great swimbait rod or big deep diving crankbaits. Built one for my brother-in-law and he uses his for salmon and halibut, says he loves the the parabolic action. this blank is 8 foot 15-25 lb Check out the Batson line and you'll find something that fits your type of fishing and budget. I've built 8 Rainshadows and love them. Steve

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: July 24, 2007 07:50PM

Thank you all for the support. "The Vision Continues" - To supply High Quality Rod Blanks & Rod Building Components at a fair price backed with the best customer service in the industry. We are a copmpnay that molds Integrity, Passion, Quality and Experience into one package to better service the Industry/Art of Rodbuilding.. Be on the lookout for the new models of Spey & Switchrod blanks now avaiable through our Authorized Batson Enterprises - Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS distributors. Also the new SS316 LXN guides not to mention the other new items by us. Please feel free to contact us for the New 2007/2008 supplimental catalog / price list. We plan on disclosing the Test data that we have done in regards to the Forecast/ALPS product lines. This will disolve any and all miths about the so called competitions components in regards to there superiority. Try them, I garantee you will not be disappointed...
If you ever have any questions please feel free to contact us.We are a US family owned and operated company that is here for this industry..

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS product lines
877-875-2381
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsonenterprises.com..

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.62.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: July 25, 2007 08:48AM

I am curious to know which Gator Glass blank you used. I use them almost exclusively, to the point where I have had people ask me if they were graphite on certain blanks.

The 6702, @#$%& and FT models are a whole lot lighter than the GATOR, Unlimited, KC, T and U models. I just picked up a BS586 and next to a Calstar GFX700L they were pretty close in weight.

Rating on Gator BS586 is 12-25# - Mod to Fast Action
Rating on the GFX700L is 15-30# - Mod Action

They are pretty close blanks and weigh nearly the same. I live near Mudhole's store, so I was able to compare them side by side.

Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 27, 2007 12:18AM

On a budget can mean lots of things. If you mean on the cheap, look at the PacBays @#$%& and Donart have on clearance. Mudhole specials I've picked up turned out to be Lamiglas and AmTac, which were good too. There are a lot of makers and a lot of sales outlets, so competition is keen and deals common. Perhaps I'm easily pleased because I like glass for the ocean? From the list of names everyone has already mentioned, I don't see how you go wrong picking one off someone's specials page that meets your action and weight requirements.
Personally I would avoid sticking to a brand. It limits your opportunistic choices and your palette. If I had to pick one for salt, I'd be very prone to say Seeker, but they rarely pop up on specials.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster