I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How do u...Guide Q?!
Posted by: Andrei Sava (---.rdsnet.ro)
Date: July 20, 2007 12:42AM

After sanding the guides for a perfect match with the rod, how many of u guys put them directly on the blank, and how many of u use something underneeth the guide's foot(like the flex coat stick)?!
How important is that?!
Thank you! Andrei

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do u...Guide Q?!
Posted by: jon edwards (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 20, 2007 12:45AM

i hold them on with a rubber band and start wrapping

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 12:47AM

Me Too !

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.propel.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 12:56AM

I recently switched to the Flex Coat adhesive when attaching guides to wrap them. Nothing to do with getting something between the guide and the blank, though. I just have found it faster and easier for me than tape, rubber bands, cut pieces of tubing, or dental brace bands. I still sometimes revert back to the masking tape, though. I did it that way too long and it's habit sometimes!

For attaching guides and doing stress tests for spacing, I pretty much use the dental brace bands and again sometimes I use masking tape (old habit again...).

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 20, 2007 12:57AM

Same here! There is NO need to put anything under the guide foot. Those that use the adhesive, use a little of it to hold the foot in place to start wrapping, not as any sort of cushion. You can pick up vinyl tubing in various diameters at any hobby shop. It's used for fuel lines, etc on model airplanes and is very inexpensive. A few feet, a cutting board and a razor blade and you have a couple years worth. I always slide them on (with a few extras) on the blank before I glue on the tip. Makes guide placement/adjustment a snap! Just touch with a razor and they fly off

The reason that I use the rubber bands instead of adhesive is because I never know the final guide placement until the rod is in a rod holder on my bench and a static test is performed. With the rubber bands, I can have the rod flexed and easily move the guides around until I get the line path that I want and can even test cast if I want and make guide adjustments "on the fly" I don't think that I could do that if my guides were glued on.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: July 20, 2007 01:32AM

Thank you guys! I was asking, because i heard rumors about guides digging into the blank if they r put directly on the blank, and that some guys use something like the Flex Coat bar, that's used for positioning the guides so there's no friction between the blank and the guide.
Some of the rods i've striped some guides of, i noticed that they have some kind of material other than the epoxy that went thru the thread. Some sort of ruberized plastic or something like that. I thought it's purpose was other than just to fix the guide in place before wrapping.
Thank you again guys!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 20, 2007 09:31AM

Guides that are flat are the bottom can't "dig into" the blank. The guys who are telling you that sort of thing have just bought into a long standing rod building myth.

What you're seeing when you remove the thread is the residue of either color preserver or epoxy that has seeped through and around the guide foot. It's not any sort of "protective" material.

Date: July 20, 2007 11:48AM

Just unwraped some guides today to be replaced, and did pay a bit more attention. And i have to say that Tom, u r right. The epoxy seems to flow under the guide as well, since it's curved. I only unwraped a series of guides till now, and didn't pay attention to it that much, but a local rodbuilder said that he uses that stuff so the guides didn;t dig into the graphite. And he sayd that didn't i notice the stuff under the guide foot on newer rods....i said i did, but i thought it was epoxy....he builds rods for a really long time now, he must have built at least 200 of them. I didn't actually buy it, so i decided to ask.
After i opened the topic i unwraped 3 guides today to see for myself, and it was exactly as i thought. It was epoxy, that flew in through the gap of the top of the guide foot. The rest of the stuff i knew it was epoxy that has entered through the guide gaps.
Thank you guys for clearing this up for me.

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.houston.res.rr.com)
Date: July 22, 2007 03:32AM

Andrei,

Te framanti degeaba,chiar daca nu finisezi talpile inelelor nu ai probleme.Foloseste niste fasii taiate din "masking tape"cu care fixezi provizoriu inelul pe blank (cat mai aproape de piciorul inelului),matisezi fara a tensiona tare ata de matisaj pana aproape de fasia de "masking tape",scoti aceasta si finisezi matisajul.
Daca inelul nu e pozitionat pe linie,poti usor sa-l misti in pozitia buna (de aceea ata nu se tensioneaza asa de tare si ca sa nu preseze in plus asupra blank-ului)

Urmeaza FLEX-COAT-ul pe care il pui mai usor nu cu pensula ci cu un fel de spatula facuta prin taierea unui card de plastic ce nu-l mai folosesti sau din ceva similar.
Nu uita sa pui un pic de FLEX-COAT in scobitura ce ramane intre inel si blank ca sa nu intre apa si cumva sa rugineasca talpa (mai putin in apa dulce dar in apa sarata se intampla).

Sorry ,i can explain more easy in my language(romanian),i don't speak well English and Andrei is romanian to.

Jean Scurtu

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster