I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Blank suggestions please
Posted by: Mike Andreasen (69.241.124.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 10:04AM

I have a request from a co-worker. He would like me to build him a rod. Since I’m a fly fisherman I am not too familiar with the type of rod that he has requested. Here is the info:

He wants a boat rod for Striper fishing in the Delta between San Francisco and Sacramento. He specifically requested a 5’6” rod with a lot of backbone – but he wants a pretty sensitive tip. Both he and another coworker who has been fishing with him tell me that he sets the hook HARD! Full body, lean back and yank!

He has been fishing for a hundred years and it is said that he really knows his stuff. He has had many different rods over the years. I’d like to build him a good rod with the specifications that he mentioned.

Can I get a few suggestions regarding blanks that I should look into?

Thank you

Mike

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank suggestions please
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 19, 2007 10:26AM

MIght want to find out what rod he is currently using, and what fishing methods. The only SW blanks which are 5'6 tha I am aware of are made for Offshore fishing, although I may very well be wrong. My guessumption would be you are goign to need to get a composite rod such as a Calstar 600L, Lami CGBT721 or 781M - and cut some of the butt to get the length you're after.

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 11:50AM

Do what the rest of us do. Take him to a tackle shop and let him pull on a few blanks. I'm not from the bay area but I understand that Hi's Tackle may be the shop you'd want to visit. Soft tip with a lot of backbone. Maybe a Seeker blank?

Date: July 19, 2007 12:22PM

Would cutting down a longer blank destroy any of the integrity of a glass rod?
Would it reduce any of the backbone strength?
Would I be better off looking for a 6’ or 6’6” rod to cut down as opposed to a 7’ rod?
Would it make a difference in the strength or/and integrity?

Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 01:41PM

Cutting as little as possible is best to maintain the same action. Look for a 6' to cut down to 5'6".
How about a Super Seeker ss-cjb60xf rated at 15-25 # test?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2007 01:53PM by Mel Shimizu.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 02:06PM

I grew up fishing that area and I'm heading down there this weekend small world. Not sure why he wants a 5'6" but I would go with theRainshadow RCLB70ML or L also the SWB70ML or M all are 7 foot. I use the Rainshadow SWS597 for Gator fishing and I just love it but is 7'10" long. The added length helps you set the slack and keeps you from setting head over heels LOL..

Date: July 19, 2007 03:43PM

Thank you all for the info. I've paged through the internet and investigated all of the rods/rod types listed in your responses. I feel better about my knowledge and placing an order. I'll have to talk to my coworker regarding his cost preferences before making a decision.

Karry - I have no idea why he wants a 5'6" rod either but he definately specified that length - more than once. And he is apparently a very competent fisherman who has been around quite a while, so I'm definately not one to argue his preferences. One thing that I do know.......... my coworkers, who have fished with him in the past, have mentioned that he has a habit of setting the hook hard and it's not uncommon for him to whack it against the boat cabin cover behind him (jet style boat Jeep-type cabin covering that zips on and off). It's possible that he wants a shorter rod so that he doesn't reach as far back when he swings the rod up and back. I'd ask him but I have a feeling that I wouldn't get an honest answer out of him. Pride you know. lol

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 04:17PM

In that case Tuff stick TS60M would be the one then solid glass tip :)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster