I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

mudhole custom wood reel seat
Posted by: jason henderson (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 08:46AM

i have just picked up one of the custom wood comfort reel seats from mudhole but the I. D. is a bit small for the rod blank. I am looking in to drilling out for the I. D. i need. my concern is that I will thin the walls too much . If I were to get it drilled and fit on and the thing were to crack or actually break I am going to have to remove all my cork ( custom ) and redo everything. Before I decide to go for it. How hard is it to remove a handle assembly form the blank and to clean it up ( I have a split grip to install so there will be a clean area that I willneed clean again) Am I better off just scrapping the seat and getting a new direction?

JJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mudhole custom wood reel seat
Posted by: Dan Colville (24.75.1.---)
Date: July 18, 2007 09:25AM

I have used the mother of pearl seats which sound similar to the one you are going to use from mudhole. Drilling could cause a problem especially if you are going to clamp the insert. what I recommend is using a rat tail file and sanding all walls evenly. The insert shouldn't break if you are not straining the walls bringing it down the blank. Hope this helps. Good luck with your project.

Sincerely,
Dan Colville

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 09:58AM

Jason,
Once you Rod Bond that reelseat to the blank it becomes a part of the blank's structure and should not fail. I've have to put some pretty thin structures on from time to time and I haven't had any fail. You'd be surprised how much load the reelseat will really take and how much load really isn't actually being applied to the reelseat under normal fishing conditions.

Posted by: Jesse Buky (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 01:33PM

I have used the Batson reamer with power to ream the wood reel seats and it works like a charm. I split one once trying to drill it out. Jesse

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 18, 2007 03:16PM

It shouldn't split, provided you don't have to force it to get it on the blank. Ream carefully and keep the bore concentric. Before test fitting on the blank, run a brush or something down the bore so you don't carry any reamer grit onto the blank which could leave a nasty scratch where you least want one.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 18, 2007 07:54PM

If it does break after the rod is fished(I think that is what you were asking) Mr. Buky has a trick to replace it that will make you look like a genius!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: jason henderson (---.dsl.wlfrct.sbcglobal.net)
Date: July 19, 2007 12:27PM

what trick is that? Mr Buky I always thought I could look like a genius, Just never thought I would be able to act the part!

Jason Henderson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster