I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reaming first cork handle
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: July 15, 2007 11:23PM

Need some help. I was reaming my first cork handle for a UL today and the handle split. I was using a round tapered file 1/4 to 5/16. I did not use much of back and forth movement with the file. I was trying to rotate the handle on the file with a little pressure. A little over half way the handle split in two round halfs. What did i do wrong. Too much pressure. How is the best way to ream a cork handle with a file. I was taking my time and cheching the fit. Any suggestion and help appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reaming first cork handle
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 16, 2007 01:13AM

Roger, If you rotate the handle on the file or hold the handle and rotate the file clockwise, the file will just screw itself into the hole and not remove enough material to make room for itself. If you look closely at the file you will see the cutting teeth have a right handed spiral down the shaft sort of like screw threads. So, in essence you pushed a wedge into the hole in the handle and the handle split. You must use a file with an in and out motion in order to remove material. Hope this makes sense to you.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (64.241.28.---)
Date: July 16, 2007 01:49AM

Roger - use a reamer made for the purpose. The "Dream Reamers" are the best, IMO, but there are others supplied by a variety of vendors. These employ either various grits applied to the shaft of a tapered reamer, or sandpaper tape sprialed around the reamer.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: July 16, 2007 02:27AM

Uncle Russ is correct. Reamers are the best and most accurate way.

Date: July 16, 2007 08:35AM

I thought the in and out motion could create an off center hole. That is why i used a rotating motion. I thought about those reamers, but since i am starting out i would wait. Maybe i should get the reamers. Thanks for the help.

Posted by: Erik Osterby (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: July 16, 2007 09:41AM

Roger,

I've reamed out several grips with just round files and my holes have been centered enough that you could not notice when the grip was attached. Start with a file smaller than the hole in the cork. Move the file in and out 5 times on the bottom side of the hole in the cork and then rotate the cork a little and move the file in and out again five times on the bottom side of the cork. Keep rotating the cork and then filing until you have rotated the grip 360 degrees. It helps to mark your starting point in some way. I wrap a piece of tape around the bottom end of the grip and put a mark on it with a pen or pencil. When you have rotated and filed through one complete revolution of the cork grip, check your fit and check to see if the hole is centered. Make small adjustments as necessary. Repeat the above procedures with less in and out filing as the fit gets close. Most of my filing is done from the bottom end of the grip but this will not always give you the correct taper inside the grip. If I need to correct the inside taper, I work from the front of the grip very slowly to enlarge the front hole to it's correct size. I check the fit on this by measuring the grip and blank and then fit the grip on backwards to check the the fit. For example on a 8" grip, I slide the grip on backwards until it fits at a point 8" above where the bottom of the grip will eventually be glued. Work slow and keep checking your fit. I also find that having different size files also helps. Using a file that is slightly smaller then the current hole in the cork really helps to keep the hole centered.

Hope this helps.

Erik

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2007 09:44AM by Erik Osterby.

Date: July 16, 2007 11:18AM

Thanks Eric. I have a better understanding of the process now. Practice, slow, practice, slow. Thank you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster