I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Centre Pin Stripper Guide ?
Posted by: Joe Hart (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2007 06:37PM

Building a 13' pin rod and was looking for some guidance on stripper guide placement, (ballpark distance from reel seat along with ring size). The rod will be fitted with an Islander Steelheader loaded with 20 lb. mono, throwing approximately 1/2 - 7/8 ounces with float.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Centre Pin Stripper Guide ?
Posted by: Jess Brindisi (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2007 08:22PM

here is what I use on a rainshadow 1562F 13ft 2piece blank

sizes from tip to butt (Fuji High frames)

in inches from tip: 3.75, 8, 13.25, 19.75, 27.25, 36, 45.25, 55.75, 66.5, 77.75, 89.75, 103, 117.5

For a tip I use a single foot guide in size 8 or 10 - hard to find anything larger than a 7 in a 4.5 size tip

If using titanium guides, which have practically no weight, I'll use all 10's, and no #8's

I hope this helps....

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: July 15, 2007 10:23PM

Joe,

Here is what I use for 2 piece rods for my customers and myself. Also note that it is for a (2 PIECE ROD) If you want the specs for a 3-piece let me know.

Is the rod a fast action and what line weight is the rod rated for? I have used the high frames in the past, as most of us floaters have, but have since strayed away. I only use the batson match-guides for the first two. reason is the upsweep of the float reel is greater. Tom K has talked me into following the concept therory for guides. I now implement it on all my float rods and boy does it work. Saves on weight and does not dampen the action of the rod with the heavier hi-frame guides. Others use a 16 after the 20 but this does not provide a good upsweep of line to the blank as fast. But yes, it still does work.

And like Jester said, use larger guides if you are going to be fishing in the freezing cold. For this application of fishing, the use of JANNS NETCRAFT TICH coated FLEXLITE guides are second to none in the cold-period. Matter of fact, these are the guides that go on all of my float rods when using 12 mainline or less-they are light, durable, inexpensive, and make the rod feel like it has no guides on it at all. But since you are using heavier line, I would stick with the Titaniums or similar...Actually, I built a float rod for the Chinooks here in Alaska, and uesd the batson VS3 guides. They worked great and are rock solid. have any other questions, drop me a line...Good to see another "pinner".

respectfully,
Paul

13' Float Rod 2pcs
Type # Guide Size Spacing
Tip - Guide 1 7mm 0"
Guide 2 7mm 3-1/2"
Guide 3 7mm 7-1/2"
Guide 4 7mm 12-1/2"
Guide 5 7mm 18-1/2"
Guide 6 7mm 25-1/2"
Guide 7 7mm 33-1/2"
Guide 8 7mm 42-1/2"
Guide 9 8mm 52-1/2"
Guide 10 8mm 63-1/2"
Guide 11 10mm 76-1/4"
Guide 12 10mm 90"
Guide 13 12mm 104-3/4"
Guide 14 20mm 120-1/4"

Posted by: Joe Hart (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2007 12:05AM

Thank you both for your input on the guide spacing and sizes. Was wondering why Jesster had recommended the larger ring sizes for the tip section, the forgotten freezing scenario helps to explain. For this particular rod freezing is not much of a concern as it will only see fall use on the Thompson along with very slight secondary use on the Sauk in late spring spring, (hence the heavy mono and weights given previously).

The blank being worked up is a 4 piece Forecast 8/9 weight Spey with a faster action so some dampening will be required to "soften" it a bit. With this in mind will probably stick with Paul's suggested size 7's instead of the originally planned #6's, (in concept fashion). Also was planning a handle of 24" total, 10" cork rear and fore of the seat, this balances somewhat but as expected still leaves it a bit tip heavy. Don't want to add a metal crutch cap or any additional weight to the butt so guess this will have to be lived with...

Have built many float rods but never a beefier pin rod such as this, any additional suggestions would be eagerly listened to.

Date: July 16, 2007 01:27AM

joe....

Hey floater. The blank your building is a great float rod blank. I've built about 7 of them I think, and have had good comments from cutomers. I use it on big coho's here in AK and some smaller kings in slow water. The rod is indestructable...(Exagerating a bit..) You are right joe, it would be nice to dampen the action a bit, as the VS3 guides helped with it. I like your measurements for the cork too...u sound like an ole' pro. LOL

The Batson aluminum reel seats woork well with the Islander-just make sure it is an A8 sized. Plus they make it in blue to match the blank...and boy does it look nice together. Especially with blue wraps with silver trim. But ofcourse, you may have a color or two picked out already.

Good Luck Joe,
Paul

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2007 10:23AM

I'll add a lil' bit. As far as ballance, I understand not wanting to add any weight to the butt, but IMHO, you gonna have to, to get the rod to fish nice and "feel" light. There are a few blanks that I've built that didn't need any ballanceing help, but they were also using reels that were heavier than your Islander(Ang Spec, Spahr Offset). Long float rods of so tip heavy for the most part that lead has to be added to the butt section one way or the other, either in the butt or on the spool of the reel, Id much rather weight the butt than slow the startup down on my reel. If its not ballances properly, its gonna feel alot heavier than it is....

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Posted by: Jess Brindisi (205.235.112.---)
Date: July 16, 2007 10:28AM

Most of my Fishing is done in NY/Great Lakes region where the conditions can go from sunny to WHITEOUT blizzard in a matter of hours. Freezing of the guides is of great concern and can be a royal pain. Larger guides are a neccessity to minimize the freezing. LAst Nov. I went to bed with no snow on the ground, and woke up to 18" and counting. Still went fishing and had a blast. Nothing like seeing a neon bobber amongst a blizzard disappear under the water. WIll warm ya up in seconds....

Paul, any recommendations on a 3 piece blank for pinning? Gloomis has a factory rod that I used, and it was pretty sweet, but not sure if the blank is available to the public.

Thanks

Date: July 16, 2007 01:36PM

Hey jester...

I want to be honest when I answer your question about blanks, and my personal favorite are RAVEN blanks. Ya know, they are light, straight, durable, great looking too, and...are very reasonable. For line weights below 12# ratings, IMO there are no better blanks for the money-best bang for your buck. Another nice thing about Raven, as I'm sure you know, is that they come in a varaiety of lengths and ratings. Not everyone needs a 15 footer all the time, and it's nice to have a selection.

I agree with that line freeze up thing....Tey the JANNS NETCRAFT FLEXLITES in TICh coating or the REC recoils. Both of these guides freeze up much less than the traditional floatrod guides we all have used.

GOod Luck...
Paul

Posted by: Steve Dyczkiewycz (---.228.40.69.ip.alltel.net)
Date: July 16, 2007 09:35PM

Jesster Brindisi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> here is what I use on a rainshadow 1562F 13ft
> 2piece blank
>
> sizes from tip to butt (Fuji High frames)
> 8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,8,10,10,12,16,20
>
> in inches from tip: 3.75, 8, 13.25, 19.75, 27.25,
> 36, 45.25, 55.75, 66.5, 77.75, 89.75, 103, 117.5
>
> For a tip I use a single foot guide in size 8 or
> 10 - hard to find anything larger than a 7 in a
> 4.5 size tip
>
> If using titanium guides, which have practically
> no weight, I'll use all 10's, and no #8's
>
> I hope this helps....

This is the same guide sizing and spacing I've used on quite a few float rods. I really like the Fuji TYSGs for the application. Properly prepped and finished, your rod would balance nicely without additional weight.
>
>

Posted by: Danny Ross (---.hsd1.pa.comcast.net)
Date: July 16, 2007 09:54PM

Steve Dyczkiewycz Wrote:

> This is the same guide sizing and spacing I've
> used on quite a few float rods. I really like the
> Fuji TYSGs for the application. Properly prepped
> and finished, your rod would balance nicely
> without additional weight.

No doubt, with a heavier reel that weights 10 oz or better.... With a lighter reel, I'm not so sure.

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information,which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
- Herbert Spencer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster