I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Newbie needs help.
Posted by: John Miller (---.dsl.chi2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: July 15, 2007 12:27AM

I ordered a 4 piece 8wt. I started to dry fit it and the pieces do not seat all of the way together. How to I get them to fit all of the way to the ferrul. Cut or sand? Each one is about 3/4" more to go together. I do have pictures, but I do not know how to post them.

Thank Miller

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie needs help.
Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 15, 2007 12:35AM

The ferrules should not bottom out. If they did, in little time they would fail to tighten due to wear, and your rod would go to pieces with every cast.
Think I've seen that same topic come up within the last month or so.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2007 10:38AM by Dave Hauser.

Date: July 15, 2007 12:39AM

The rod looks funny because they are 3/4" away from the same thickness. I wish you could see the pictures. How do I post one? Help
Miller

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 15, 2007 02:22AM

John,

Your e-mail address is hidden. Unhide it or send me an e-mail at mbarkley@wowway.com

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 15, 2007 05:26AM

If these are spigot ferrules, there should be a significant space between the two pieces. Don't sand or cut anything.

What brand blank do you have?

Date: July 15, 2007 01:01PM

I have a temple fork outfitters 8wt 9' 4 piece. Any help please.

Date: July 15, 2007 02:31PM

Here's the other recent thread on this, that sounds exactly like what you are describing: [www.rodbuilding.org]

A tapered ferrule should NEVER bottom out. By all indications, it is correct as you have it.

Date: July 15, 2007 03:32PM

Dave do you mind if I send you some pictures of what I am talking about. I read the post that you refered to and it does sound like what they are talking about. It just doesn't look right to some newbie who has never done this before. Slot A should fit into slot B and so on. It should look exactly like the rest of my rods, is the thinking that I had going into this project. But, if that is the way it is suppose to be then I will get to wrapping the eyes. The handle came out great and I will not worry about the ferrules.
Miller

Date: July 15, 2007 04:09PM

Post a few pics up to the photo site here, or out to photo bucket or wherever, ans then put links back in this thread. There's a whole lot more experience running around this site than I. And te only thing I know about fly rods is that I turned mine into UL spinning rods :-)

Date: July 15, 2007 04:21PM

[s209.photobucket.com]

here is a link to some of the pictures that I am talking about. Please look and tell me what you guys think.
Thanks Miller

Posted by: Rob Matarazzo (---.nycmny83.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: July 15, 2007 07:13PM

What you are seeing is normal for that type of ferrule. It is intended that when the ferrule wears from use, the part of the male ferrule that is exposed will start to be inserted more into the female ferrule so that a good fit is maintained..

Date: July 15, 2007 09:17PM

You got to be kidding!! The rod is supposed to be a different color/finish for 3/4" before every ferrule!! How Attractive!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: July 15, 2007 09:27PM

Thanks Mike that is why I thought that something must be wrong. It does look bad that they are different colors. It is High gloss then about 3/4" is dull. The other issue is that the ends are not plugged as in the one picture that I posted. Is it suppose to be like that .

Thanks Miller

Date: July 15, 2007 09:32PM

John,

I just sent you an e-mail about the plugs. You can plug with a little Rod Bond, some epoxy bathtub caulk orjust about anything you want. You can also leave empty if you want.

Mike (Southgate, MI)

Date: July 15, 2007 09:43PM

Mike Thanks for the quick response. I got your e-mail and have already did the e-mail thing. I looked at some of the tutorials and have already tried the double string trick. I am going to try the diamond and chevron tonight.

Again thanks. Does anyone else have the same issue with this type of ferrule, that being high gloss then dull at each connection for 3/4". Is this common?

Thnanks Miller

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster