I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Herters Rod building jig
Posted by: John Jolley (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 07:13PM

I found an old herters rod building jig with what looks like everything but the instructions on how to use it.

It's a cast iron vise looking thing with a 3/16 inch double looped wire attachment for holding the rod. there is a spring loaded clamp that looks like it adjusts the thread tension and a cork spool brake.

I'd like to find the instructions that goes to it.

Would any of you happen to have some that I could copy? I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
John Jolley

PS, I'd happily pay you for your time and postage.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Herters Rod building jig
Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 07:46PM

Hey John...Had one of those many moons ago but as I recall there were no instructions sold with it...I think I got it from Dan Craft. You are correct with the knowledge you have by your description. You may have to fly by the seat of your pants. Maybe check with Dan Craft and see if they have an "old timer" that could help you out.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 13, 2007 10:37PM

Golden Witch reproduced these a while back. They might be able to help you out, although the little unit is pretty much self explanatory.

The rod rests on the steel arms, the thread is loaded onto the shaft and the tensioner is allowed to press against the spool. The thread comes off the top of the spool and onto the rod which is just a few inches away.

These little units work fine, but you'll need to jury rig something to help hold the rod when you're making the wraps on the extreme butt or tip ends.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 13, 2007 10:38PM

By the way, Herter's sold them but I believe what you have there was actually made by Thompson. At least if it's what I think it is.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.243.7.88.Dial1.Seattle1.Level3.net)
Date: July 14, 2007 01:24AM

John,
Tom is correct. I used one of these for several years--many many years ago. It was my first step up from a couple of books and a cup. I'm not sure who developed these first. I bought mine from the Thompson Vise Company and I found later that Herter's also sold one. Using it is simple. Just pull the vise head back, insert a spool of thread on the spindle and adjust the tension with the thumb screw. I never found the rod rest terribly useful. At the time I was using it, I hadn't tried diamond wraps and other thread art that is so popular today. I doubt they could be done with that jig. Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: stanford yerger (---.157.56.53.Dial1.Boston1.Level3.net)
Date: July 15, 2007 12:38PM

John, I have one, Herter’s Waseca Minn. no. 20.
Tom’s right that I believe it was made by Thompson Vise.
I looked it up in my Herter’s 1970 catalog 80R.
This is what it says in the catalog.
This tool holds a spool of rod winding thread under an
even tension, leaving the operator’s hands free to turn
the rod rapidly and put on the windings. The tension
on the rod winding thread is fully adjustable by means
of a wing nut and spring. An improved, easier to use rest
comes with the rod winder. This is the only rod winder
made with this type of rest. The rod winder and rest is
constructed of fine sturdy quality metal throughout.
It will handle all types of rods, including fly rods,
casting rods, and salt water rods.
RE2 shpg wt. 2 lbs. $2.47
Hope this is a help, stan yerger

Posted by: John Jolley (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 15, 2007 12:46PM

Good Stuff!!! I don't know if I'll ever use it but its kind of a neat old tool. Clamped it on my "old fishing stuff" shelf in the den.

Smiles

Posted by: Eugene Rehberg (---.143.107.238.Dial1.Chicago1.Level3.net)
Date: July 16, 2007 12:43AM

John,I used one of these thread holders since 1948 until a year ago when I bought a new one from Golden Whitch for 84.00 plus freight(note price change)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It worked very good. I didn't use the wire holder, it just got in the way for me................I rested the end of the rod on the back of a kitchen chair. I wound many rods with this rig, and just gave my old one to a newbe in the neighborhood. The instructions on this thread are correct. Lots of luck..........Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster