I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Inshore Trolling Blank
Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 12:48PM

I'm looking to build a trolling rod for the fall striper run in Jersey. I've never built a trolling rod before, and consequently have no idea where to start in terms of picking a blank.

It'll be used for the classic Northeast inshore striper methods -- Mann's strech lures and similar, which run around 1-2 oz. It'll be paired with something like a Penn 330 GTI (I haven't made my mind up on the reel yet) spooled with 40 or 50 lb. braid. 7 feet seems to be what most guys use for trolling rods, so I'm leaning in that direction, but could be swayed. I'll be using ceramic guides, and I'll almost certainly be doing a simple spiral, unless there's a good reason not to. I'm looking for a blank that's fairly light, but will have enough beef to handle a 40 or 50 lb. striper (if we're lucky). I can handle picking the components, but I looked in a couple of catalogs and at a few websites, and my head is swimming.

Any suggestions? I'm not that familiar with boat trolling (I'm mostly a surf guy), and I know less than nothing about trolling blanks. What make? What model? Glass, graphite, or composite? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Inshore Trolling Blank
Posted by: Dave Hauser (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 03:37PM

Your head is swimming because there are a zillion possibilities. I break my own rule occassionally, but I try to keep the line strength within the range or the rod rating. Or darn close. 20-40lb blank perhaps from what you are mentioning, or a 15-40 for a lighter tip. I'm building what Mudhole has as LSBB841MH in its Surf Rocket specials. Not terribly well disguised when it comes in a Lamiglas wrapper and matches CGBT 84 1MH
description and specs. :-) 40% off from officially buying the Lami. I'm building one now, with the idea of light trolling and deep jigging. Just one idea for you anyway..

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 06:58PM

Thanks, Dave. That helps.

By the way, I've been telling people for two years that Mudhole's surf rocket blanks are the best surf blank value out there. The first time I tried one it was because A) it fit what I wanted to do, and B) the the price was right, but when I was done, and I fished the thing, I was so pleased with the performance that I haven't built a surf rod on anything else. Now I think I understand why I like them so much...

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 07:06PM

Chris;
I am building one Now Rainshadow RCLB 70M that I picked up from Custom Tackle Supply while on Vacation

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.37.204.219.adsl.snet.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 10:46PM

The Seeker BT 20 is what you are looking for! I trim from the butt to make the rod 6' or 6'6" I use Fuji LBSG's on the south side and a USG 20 or (25 with a GTI 330) on the top.
Good Luck!!
Ed

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/14/2007 06:35PM by Ed Grella.

Posted by: paul reyburn (---.boeing.com)
Date: July 14, 2007 01:40PM

chris let me know if i can help i have a few blanks here ..LOL and i am only 15 minutes from the phila stadium area..i do have some Rainshadow ..

NERBS

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster