I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Converted fly blanks for 2 lb test line.
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.dslextreme.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 08:30PM

THANKS a bunch to this board. You guys are great. Here's another one in my progression of experimental rods....:)

Most the time, I think about a blank in terms of what lure weight, distance cast, action etc I want. I don't pay much attention to line test as I used 4 lb and up which is enough for my types of lures.

However, I want to use a lot more of 2 lb test so this becomes a defining factor/limitation that trumps other criteria.

It's my opinion that most spin rods, including UL are a touch heavy to properly cushion 2 lb and 3.1 lb test line. (Actual test for the line, not underrated lines that breaks at much higher tests.) Yes, I know that one can set the drag on a reel lightly to prevent line breaks but I want to set the drag more aggressively.

So, I'd like to set my drag at 1 lb using an actual 1 lb weight (50% of line rating not factoring a weaker knot strength) and have the rod soak up some of the sudden changes surges, and yet apply as much pressure as I dare. It seems that there are few UL rods in the longer lengths let alone any that are designed for 2lb lines.

For 7' to 9' fly blanks, do you guys have any suggestion as to the appropriate wt for 2 lb line without consideration of lure weight? It's a balance between being able to bend as much as needed, and yet be as stiff as the line will allow. (The stiffer rods will also cast better but I'm leaving that out of the equation.)

I have a few 6' 6" 2wt, one of which I've built. It's more than flexible enough for 2 lb test but I think I can go a bit more power but don't want to have to try 3, 4, 5 wt in the various longer lengths.

I think 7' and 7' 6" will be my primary lengths but also want to try one 9'. My guess is that moderate action will be preferred.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,
Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2007 08:31PM by Mo Yang.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Converted fly blanks for 2 lb test line.
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 10, 2007 10:36PM

Try a Moderate or moderate-fast 7ft. 3wt. I've built several fly blanks into spinning rods. 6'6'' 2wt.s up to 9ft. 6wt. The moderate action really protects light lines and tippets. With Alconite or better guides you can have an incomparable ultra-light spinning rod.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: July 10, 2007 10:46PM

Hello Mo,

I am an ultralite nut myself, and have played with these rods quite a bit. I think for 2# line you will find most 3 wt fly blanks do quite well. 4 wts seem to get too beefy to me, as you really need the cushion on 2# line. I think on 2# line smooth guides become more important, and I have recently found American Tackle guides to be great - I think equal to Fuji with, more options.
I landed one of my biggest fish, a 38" musky, on a 7'3" 3 wt fly blank built for UL spinning and 4# line. Those long limber rods are a blast.

Have fun,
Marc

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: July 11, 2007 12:34AM

you might want to try one of the lamiglas hone glass blanks. a 7' 3wt will protect light line better than a graphite of the same line wt would. the two piece 3 wt lami honey glass is a relatively soft blank. it also comes in 3 piece. the 6'6" 3wt is also very good for what you want. the two piece is a noodle.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2007 02:24AM

Thanks to ALL who replied so far. Guys, much appreciated. The info you provided is EXACTLY the type of info I'm looking for.

Ralph, does that mean 9ft, 6wt for 2 lbs also? And 6' 6" 2wt for 2 lbs? That's one question I had. As I go up in length, do I also go up in weight? (i.e. 6' 6" 2wt, 9' 4wt etc.) Or does the 3 wt suggestion work for ALL lengths?

Marc - wow, 38" Muskie on 4lb? That's impressive. I guess 2 lb for 4 lb trout is no big deal....:) i do know a guy who fishes Corona lake and routinely land 10+ lb trout on 2 lb test. Nothing like your muskie though.

Larry. yes, I thought about fiberglass although I don't know anything about the Lamiglas honey. I know that many 2 lb line users swear by Kencor fiberglass. However, I've always thought (probably wrongly) that I want as fast a recovery as possible so that when the fish is shaking around to throw a metal lure off, the faster recovery the blank (meaning less mass), the greater the tension it will keep on the lure to prevent it from coming off. No idea if I'm right. The caveat is that most of my line is no stretch 2 lb fireline with a 5' fluorocarbon leader. So my line has very little stretch and so I need the rod to keep the tension. I'm not sure if I make sense.

Also, one challenge is that some manufacturer's 3 wt can be more like 5 wt while another can be a true 3wt.

again, thanks guys.

Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2007 04:28AM by Mo Yang.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: July 11, 2007 03:05AM

Mo,

Funny you mention Corona lake. I used to fish for those "Mutant Bows" both there and Irvine Lake, which I think is run by the same folks. My favorite rods for fishing the light line with both Needlefish & Roostertails were 10' glass rods that actually bordered on a Noodle Rod action. Just the long sweep of these rods was the ticket for keeping tension on the line with the fish trying to throw the lure, while at the same time was super forgiving with the light lines. I used to buy these from Gander Mountain years & years ago, have broken every one I had (not from fish lol) and have kind of had an eye out for something similar ever since. The closest I've come so far are long, light IM6 (RX6) fly blanks.

I think the fast recovery may prove to be a problem on 2lb. if these are the fish you're targeting. I'm also not sure that the stiffer blank is going to cast better on a super light set-up. I don't know what size fish you're after, or what you're casting, but you would probably have a hard time getting a faster blank to load well with a 1/16oz lure.

I'm in & out of Kencor fairly often and have never even thought to look there. Lots of smaller Trout blanks, but I never really even thought about their "Noodle". I'm going to see both them and Lami at the show for the next two days. I'll shake a few and let you know what I find.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (---.milwpc.com)
Date: July 11, 2007 04:54AM

The St Croix 3S70ULF is a nice 7 foot rod, one piece, 2-6# test, 1/32-3/16 lure wt. Fast action rod blank. I have built many of them and the customers were very happy.

I have also used the Tiger Eye 6 foot 2/3 wt fly rod as an ultra lite with 2-4 # test, which is also a nice ultra lite.

But if your looking for something longer,,, may look into the St. Croix.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 11, 2007 08:53AM

Mono pound test and fly line/rod weight do not correlate in any way, shape or form. Fly line weight correlates to casting lure weight. Just something to keep in mind.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.chvlva.adelphia.net)
Date: July 11, 2007 10:40AM

Tom makes a very good point

as a flyfisherman myself, I routinely use 2 lbs tippet on 4, 5, and 6 wt rods for trout.

a longer rod with a slower action is going to protect your line more than a shorter rod or faster action

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 11, 2007 10:53AM

I use glass blanks for light line for exactly the reasons Mo wants.Glass bends more into the blank which gives you more blank to keep the line tension, protect the light line and bends more smoothly into the backbone.
I love my graphite rods but the rods I've lost the least amount of steelhead/salmon after the hookup has always been my glass rods.
The same with bass,etc. and small treble hooks or lightly hooked singles.
Most rods, I believe, have a fast enough recovery to keep up with the head shake and jumping of fish, one reason I use a glass flippng stick is that I think graphite recover to fast and can help the fish lose the hook, increase the size of hook penetrations and launch them further out of the water than I want. The same happens as you short line any fish, this is where you lose them and where, I believe, glass can help.

Date: July 11, 2007 01:47PM

Tom, yes - wt rating and breaking test is not directly correlated. However, I hope that there is enough correlation for this discussion to be germane. Thanks for the reminder.

Mark. Thanks. I just had a long converesation with Kencor's owner last week. Let me know what you find out. I'm curious if Magnaglass is really S glass. There is sure a legion of fans out there and the only one I ever got on a package deal, I sold off without even trying it. (darn)

Spencer, very helpful comments. The only thing I don't understand is why you would not want to increase the size of hook penetration if one is trying not to loose the fish. Or why one would not want to launch a lure further out on the water for more reach.

Thanks,
Mo

Date: July 12, 2007 02:32AM

For what it's worth, I started noodling around the web (sorry about the pun) for fiberglass rods and found out that there is a nice little group of people who are huge fans of fiberglass fishing rods and claim they are better for 8' or shorter, 5wt or lighter fly rods. I visited my local shop today and looked at some Kencors made of Tenlew 'Magnaglass'. Well, the 6' had an incredibly soft tip - softer than even a 2 wt fly rod. I may be tempted to build a 6' with that silly floppy tip just for kicks. Apparently many land some serious fish on those rods.

Anyone know what Magnaglass really is? Made in Japan but claimed not to be E or S glass....

Mo

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lv.lv.cox.net)
Date: July 12, 2007 04:10AM

Magnaglass is made of "unobtanium". lol I couldn't get that one answered today Moe. I'll try it again tomorrow. The only guy in their booth today with a good grasp on English knew nothing about blanks. He was one of their Bass Pros.

I did shake quite a few and they've got some VERY soft blanks from 5' up to 10' and they're just about bulletproof'. I looked at those Lamiglass glass fly blanks too. VERY nice. There's been enough interest in this type of blank in the past few weeks that we very well could have both brands in stock by the end of the month. Stay tuned...

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: PAUL FANNON (116.90.53.---)
Date: July 12, 2007 10:28AM

To relate casting weights to fly rod blasnks I suggest you look at AFTMA fly line standards.
this will give you a good idea of what you can expect a fly blank to cast for it's designed purpose and weight

Rod action is of course different and up to you

Cheers
Paul

I fish therefore I am.
www.hookeduprods.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 12, 2007 08:02PM

Mo,
If you have a hook in the fish, and he works it around enough that the diameter of the hole, or the length of the gash the hook is in is considerably larger than the hook/barb combo or if you're fishing barbless waters, than how the fish/lure/bait react to each other is a concern to me. Barbless waters is a big thing here on the west coastUSA/Canada/Alaska. I've just observed over the years that I seem to have smaller and tighter holes in fish's mouths with glass rods. If the fish was lightly hooked it seems like I had a better success rate with the glass rods.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.tmodns.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 02:45AM

Thanks Spencer. Very interesting. I wonder if that's because your graphite rods are higher power than the glass rods. Do you have any graphite rod that super flexy (i.e. moderate action) and saw, 2 wt in power? Do these still loose you as many fish? My thought is that these should actually do better than fiberglass as long as the graphite is flexible and low powered enough...... Glad to be corrected though as I've not tested this.

Mo

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: July 13, 2007 11:42AM

Mo, Fireline? Are using 6lb test fireline that has the diameter of 2lb mono or the 2lb test fireline with the diameter of .5lb mono? If you're using a super braid like fireline I would go with a softer rod. The Lamiglas honey would be a very good choice, if you want something with a moderate action then the Lamiglass Perigee blank might work better. Since your line doesn't stretch your blank will need to take up the slack. The slower action rods will do that just fine and should protect your tippet better than a fast action blank. If you're using the 6/2 fireline I would probably try a 5wt blank, if you're using the 2/.5 fireline (I've only used the microice version of that for panfish) then a 2 or 3wt would work. I fish a Lamiglas Perigee 3/4 for spring creeks that works well for 6x/7x tippet (around 2lb test) that would probably work well for you

Date: July 13, 2007 04:31PM

Steve,

That's EXACTLY what I'm thinking about fireline and the rod taking up the shock. Interesting you mentioned Perigee because I also happen to be wondering whether I should try the 2/3 or the 3/4. I was thinking about those blanks as a high performance 9ft 2lb rod. I'm talking 2 lb test leader with 2/0.5 fireline. So we're talking very fine. The Microice is same as regular fireline - just in 50 yards length. Apparently you think that either 2/3 or 3/4 would work. If the 3/4 will bend very nicely to take up slack, I'd rather use the 3/4 because with that i can probably go to 4lb test when I want and still put enough pressure to utilize the 4 lb breaking rating. My priority though is what's best for 2-3 lb test.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Mo

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2007 04:50PM by Mo Yang.

Deleted double post.
Date: July 13, 2007 04:33PM

Deleted - double post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2007 04:35PM by Mo Yang.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster