I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Create a new blank
Posted by: Rogerio de Paula (---.dsl.telesp.net.br)
Date: July 10, 2007 08:19AM

Dear Friends,

I saw in the past some rods that were original tubular graphite and the custom did the following change: cut the tubular blank in some place (tip) and insert (fit & glue) a non tubular graphite tip. The idea is mix action rod: the tubular but has an action and the non tubular tip has another.
Seems that few manufacturers has (or had) some rods with this configuration.
Did you know/use such blanks like this?
Any idea or procedure in how to assemble such thing?
Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Rogerio de Paula

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Create a new blank
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: July 10, 2007 08:50AM

I have seen such rods but they're usually meant for a particular application such as ice or bobber fishing. A very soft and flexible solid tip fused into a stiffer tubular butt.

I could see doing this if you have a particular application in mind for it, but to do it just for the novelty aspect would result in having a rod that isn't likely to be good for much of anything.

Posted by: Fred Halfheimers (66.97.122.---)
Date: July 10, 2007 10:16AM

The "UGLY STICK" comes to mind.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: July 10, 2007 10:32AM

The Quantum Micro rods are built with solid tips and I think Dale Clemens used to have a line called "flea flicker" or something like that.

Posted by: Tho Saykosy (---.rmo.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 10, 2007 02:21PM

Daiwa has the Cielo, it has a titanium tip section

Posted by: Rogerio de Paula (---.dsl.telesp.net.br)
Date: July 10, 2007 03:42PM

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your post.
The idea is recycle a good broken rod with a new tip/action.
The goal is a finesse worm fishing rod: sensitive tip and a good "backbone" in the butt section for hooking.
What do you think? Which process can I use to assembly it?

Regards,

Rogerio de Paula

Posted by: fred schoenduby (---.dsl.chic01.pacbell.net)
Date: July 10, 2007 07:33PM

In the 80's or late 70's [too old to recall] Dale Clemens had the "Apogee" blank also known as the "Fleaflicker" these were originally made as a fly blank and shortly thereafter was offered in a spinning rod. I made over thirty of these beauties and still have two of my own on the rod rack. You could hook up with a "Guppie" and think you had a two pounder out there. The tips being of a solid graphite were very sensative and had to be handled with kid gloves but were worth it.

Tight Lines
Tight Wraps
Fishin'Stix by Fred

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster