I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Combining 2 rods into one…
Posted by: Adam Brown (---.direcpc.com)
Date: July 08, 2007 02:50PM

I am trying to learn about/read up on surf and salt water fishing and heard about building a rod by combining the rear half of a trolling rod with the front half of a surf rod. I am a bit curious about this, what are the benefits of such a construction? In what circumstances would it be used? How do you choose rods that will combine well?
Thanks for helping to educate a beginner, Adam

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Combining 2 rods into one…
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: July 08, 2007 03:57PM

With all the great blanks out there for virtually every conceivable fish and presentation I can't imagine the need to cobble something together like that.

Posted by: Charlie Smoote (---.pns.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 08, 2007 04:27PM

I'm with Spence on this one.

Putting a surf rod tip on a big butt sounds like someone is 'experimenting'.

Buy a blank which does the same thing. They're out there.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 08, 2007 05:47PM

Where'd you hear about this? For what use?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: July 08, 2007 07:21PM

Maybe it's one of the @#$%& "Multi pieces of 20 rods pack for $5.00" people just playing around. LOL.

Date: July 08, 2007 07:30PM

A book called "Fishing Hawaii Style" mentioned it in a discussion on "slide baiting" for trevally. To correct myself I just looked back at the book to get the exact quote and it says that the trolling rod was joined with a "heavy section of bamboo" so this may be old news or improvised tackle. The description was brief but had an illustration clearly showing 2 rods joined. I also mentioned this to an acquaintance from New England who seamed to have heard something about some sort of rod surgery but no real information (still could be improvised tackle). As I already said I know next to nothing about saltwater tackle, but this caught my curiosity, and I thought this forum would be the perfect place to see what the story is, or if there is a story. Just trying to learn.

Posted by: fred marcuson (---.hrbgpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: July 08, 2007 07:53PM

humm , i can't remember the blank ## ; but isn't that how the allstar 1509 started . someone took a 1 piece blank and fitted an 'extension' into the butt .

Posted by: edward torres (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: July 08, 2007 09:05PM

Are you sure that it's not using 2 rods on a slide for J. Trevalle, the only person that I know of that uses two sections of a rod to create one nuke surf rod is Castaway, Nick Myers, in C.C Texas. Now I know that he does use Batson blanks to make rods for casting off the whole spool off the reels and I do mean the whole spool casted out. As for slides a different concept which we also use for King, Tarpon, Cobia and other top water predators.

Rod, Reels and 18 wheels.

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.lava.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 01:23AM

The article is accurate.

I believe the time frame was somewhere around 1950 to 1960. This was at a time when large surf rods were not available and Hawaii fishermen being very innovative used a fiberglass boat rod on a bamboo handle. At a later date, graphite tips were used with fiberglass handles. Now, all graphite, 2 piece rods are available in lengths up to 15'.

Many people in Hawaii consider the first true surf rod to be the Fenwick 16810 that came out in 1981. As I understand it, it was a joint venture by McCully Bicycle of Honolulu and Fenwick. I have one of the first 30 manufactured. It handles a Penn wide 6/0 with 80# mono very nicely.

Don

Date: July 09, 2007 02:20PM

Thanks all for the information. Any idea what sort of rods (surf, trolling, stand up, ect.) Nick Myers was combining to make his “nuke of a surf rod”?

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: July 09, 2007 02:41PM

Hmmm. I wonder if they also woudl put a smaller better casting reel on 1 of the 2 pieces, fire out a bomb of a cast. Switch to a shorter butt and heavier more powerful reel by cutting and retying/splicing.

Posted by: steve walters (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 04:44PM

There's a name for those things. Do a search on floridasurffishing.com. "search" bamboo and a few articles come up. Those guys in Hawaii use those things to cast 6/0's with 60 and 80# line. Yes, CAST? More man than me. I tried to cast a reel like that once,,,,..... once.
later, steve walters

Posted by: edward torres (---.dsl.snantx.swbell.net)
Date: July 09, 2007 08:27PM

First let me apologies for getting the name wrong, Its Breakaway Tackle, not castaway, as for the no#s of the surf blanks I would be giving you the wrong info, but one thing for sure they are Batson blanks, double fitted to your need for casting looooonnnng distance. As for a bomb Mr.B, no savy, most have long butt for slinging and the reels are set with high speed bearings. Look at BreakawayUSA.com may you might find the type of blanks or some sort of info. It's possible the reels are smaller light 20# test line with 80# tippet to chunk 8 and 10oz weights.

Rod, Reels and 18 wheels.

Date: July 09, 2007 11:40PM

I put together casting workshops in 2005 and 2006.

Some may find the follow ling link for 2006 interesting:

[www.hanapaa.com]

I did award "Makoi Extreme Caster" ball caps to those who used my Conoflex Makoi Extreme rod mounted with a Penn wide 6/0 and loaded with 80# mono. The casting weight was 10 ounces. The Conoflex Makoi Extreme is 14' 4" long.

Don

Date: July 09, 2007 11:58PM

Here's a link to the 2005 workshop:

[floridasurffishing.net]

The talented Roger Mortimore (mispelled by many as Mortimer) is one of the UK's top tournament casters.

Don

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster