I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Single wrap inlay question
Posted by: Erik Osterby (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: July 07, 2007 10:12PM

I have searched and didn't find anything regarding coloring a wrap of thread with a color marker to inlay a single wrap of a different color into a wrapping. I plan on using Guderod nylon Garnet without CP. It's for a saltwater fly rod so I really don't want to use silk.

Will the nylon thread absorb the ink from a marker pen? Will it bleed from the epoxy finish?

Thanks,

Erik

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Single wrap inlay question
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: July 08, 2007 02:03AM

I'd strogly suggest that you simply do a single-thread wrap. You see it on guide feet all the time, in the photos on this BBS and a lot of the pattern books. It's a wrapping technique that's easy to do once you see it (or read the instructions).

Basically, you catch a piece of the different-color thread under your main wrap, and then wrap the two threads together for a few turns. Then you overwrap the loose end. Now go back and unwrap the different-color thread until you just have one wrap left. Cut off the tag of the different-color thread, bury it in the main wrap, and just go on with the main wrap. It takes a little more time to do, but then you don't have to wory about bleeding, discoloration, etc. In my experience, most marker-tyep solutions will not come out well with CP or no CP, or with the various epoxyfinishes either.

I didn't do a very good job of describing the technique and I apologize for that buit it's the only ay I know tosayit here.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: July 08, 2007 02:40AM

Eric, Check your E-mail

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Erik Osterby (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: July 08, 2007 03:12AM

Thanks guys.

I'm trying to duplicate what some of the bamboo guys do with silk. A nice clear translucent wrap with a single wrap of darker thread in the center. My concerns are that picking up another thread will show the tag ends if I'm not using CP to keep them from showing.

Thanks again,

Erik

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster